ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 128 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2009, 03:19 AM   #1271
JinMTVT is offline JinMTVT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ES9018 Listening Demo

Quote:
Originally posted by krgaunt

The thing about the Sabre chips is when something is recorded well, the chips will make the music really awesome. But poor recordings or ones with lots of DSP processing stick out like a sore thumb. At home I put my CD player through the Buffalo and my normal analog preamp. I can switch between two XLR stereo inputs on my power amp. It's like you need the lower quality system to cover over the problems of the bad recordings.

RossG

euh .... NO

i don't see why one would settle for a lesser reproduction, in any case
if you want to distort the sound after it has been decoded to analogue, there are plenty of hardware of possibilities ...but then u have control of it

if u start with a weak link, u cannot hot/swap it for the higher one when changing programs ...
Old 7th February 2009, 03:45 AM   #1272
diyAudio Member

it'd be great to read about more comparisons about Sabre vs. r2r (oversampled preferably ...)

looks like MSBTECH went on to strike preemptively against ESS , 32bit 384khz ADC, diamond dac (LOL) ...
Old 8th February 2009, 05:27 PM   #1273
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Brian / Russ
i bought the ES9008 Buffalo module but have been waiting for the Placid and Counterpoint so have not done anything with it. Now comes your announcement that you are switching to the ES9018. I want to understand where this leaves me as want my DAC to be as good as it can be (and I can't keep waiting for John Westlake's SOTA DAC to make an appearance).

So please tell me guys, is the 9018 a significant step up in sound quality from the 9008 and if so what are my options??

Thanks
Ian
Old 8th February 2009, 06:26 PM   #1274
NeoY2k is offline NeoY2k  France
diyAudio Member

IMO you don't have to switch to ES9018 as long as your ok with your Buffalo.
I don't have any ES9018, but there isn't really a gap in quality between the two. 9018 just offers a lot mot functions. You probably don't have any 32 bits sources neither.

If you want input mux etc... yes, you'd be better with a 9018.
My 2 cents.
Old 8th February 2009, 07:34 PM   #1275
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You are right, no 32 bit sources. If it is just additional functionality then I'm happy.

Brian/Russ can you confirm?
Old 8th February 2009, 07:58 PM   #1276
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Hi Ian,

I would not worry. If you don't plan on using the advanced features of the ES9018 you will not miss them. The ES9008 sounds superb already. I don't have the new Buffalo32 board done quite yet so I have not tested the ES9018 in it.

That said, I personally honestly do not expect a quantum leap change in performance.

Use the buffalo and I am confident you will be quite happy with it. Later you can always sell it and move on if you like. You won't have any problem selling it if its in good condition. But I suspect you will want to hang on to it once you get used to it.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 9th February 2009, 10:27 AM   #1277
excelon is offline excelon  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Es9018

Hello Russ,
I have one question for you: can I bypass the internal upsampler in ES9018 DAC and use an external one (like PCM1792/4 and AD1955 ICs)?
  Cheers!
Old 9th February 2009, 01:26 PM   #1278
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by excelon
  Hello Russ,
I have one question for you: can I bypass the internal upsampler in ES9018 DAC and use an external one (like PCM1792/4 and AD1955 ICs)?
  Cheers!

According to the data sheet it is possible to run the chip in 8fs mode, similar to what you can do with the Wolfson chips.

You would need custom firmware for that, and you would need to pick the system clock to fit your source sample rate.

I have never tried it, and probably never will.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 10th February 2009, 07:15 AM   #1279
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by excelon
  Hello Russ,
  Cheers!

Hi Excelon,

Yes you can bypass the internal upsampler if you like. You can put data in at 8X. X can be up to 192k. So that means its possible to put data into the chip at 1.536MS/s. Now that would require a 98.304MHz bit clock (64*8*192k), but the chip will do it if your not worried about running those kinds of clocks and data on an audio board.

Dustin
Old 10th February 2009, 07:31 AM   #1280
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Es9018

Dustin, may we ask other questions about the new DAC, or are you still not allowed to reveal anything?

Hide this!Advertise here!