The Burning Amp 2015-Schedules & Info - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2015, 06:47 AM   #1
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Default The Burning Amp 2015-Schedules & Info

This is a thread to get the logistics worked out for San Francisco Burning Amp Festival 2015
which takes place Saturday October 17, 2015. Any discussions, assignments and notifications regarding
this year's BAF should be in this thread.

Post regarding what you'll bring, and we'll update the lists.

I'll put up the available rooms, and how they're being filled in the post right below this.

General talk about 2015 Burning Amp Festival and how great it is and will be should remain in the Main thread here:
2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

BurningAmp : The annual audio DIY event for audiophiles who make their own equipment, components for amps, speakers, and parts.

original BAF thread:
The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Last edited by Variac; 28th July 2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Editor

Schedule goes here

Last edited by Variac; 29th July 2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Editor

And Room assignments here..

2015 BURNING AMP, Oct. 17th

OK, info on the rooms available.

The Presentation Area:
Workshops and Main Presentations:
Nelson Pass Presentation
Roger A. Modjeski Presentation

Swapmeet:
Bring stuff to sell or trade

Raffle of parts, auction:
Bring stuff to donate

Wavebourn PA system

During Main Presentations all these other functions will be shut down

The Open Area:

Linear Systems tables
Other Manufacturer's and Dealers Tables
Tasty Snacks courtesy of Audio Xpress & Elektor
Linear Audio BookMag table

The Tesla Room
Sources:
Preamps:
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers:

The Linkwitz Room
Sources: S. Linkwitz: supplied source, other sources welcome.
Preamps: S. Linkwitz: supplied preamp
Amplifiers: Hypex
Crossover: Hypex
Loudspeakers: New! Linkwitz LX Studio & LX Mini

The Pass Pub: Will feature a system supporting "Papa" Pass' Presentation. Clone components of Pass designs, and projects inspired by Pass designs brought by attendees will be swapped in.
Sources: Nelson Pass
Preamps: Nelson Pass.
Amplifiers: Nelson Pass Designed.... If you have a Pass amp, even if it's in another room also, bring it by to be auditioned and blessed by the Man himself!
Loudspeakers: Nelson Pass: Mystery Speakers

The DeForest Room: Low power, and small speakers. One system with components swapped in.
Sources:
Preamps:
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers:

The Volta Room: Low power, and small speakers. One system with components swapped in.
Sources:
Preamps:
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers:

The Hertz Room:
Sources:
Preamps:
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers:

More rooms to come..

I'm open to suggestions regarding these divisions. Feel free to post to request a room, listing what you'll bring. I'll edit the posts into list of persons and equipment since I have editing powers..

Last edited by Variac; 28th July 2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Editor

Some Volunteers, More encouraged this year we want to have volunteers work just a half day so they can have some fun.
mlise
Renron

Last edited by Variac; 28th July 2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Editor

Swap Meet here..What will you bring to sell or swap?

Last edited by Variac; 28th July 2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Editor

Free stuff for traditional raffle. People generally dig deep and bring parts that they know in their hearts they'll never use. This is always a big deal, and a tradition started when at the first BAF Nelson Pass pulled up with a filled F-250 pickup..

Last edited by Variac; 28th July 2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 28th July 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
nikon f is online now nikon f  United States
diyAudio Member

I am requesting being placed in the DeForest room. I will bring my Bottlehead Sex 2.1 amplifier, Marantz CD player, and Fostex FE103EN speakers. More than happy to have the Sex amp swapped in with other speakers. I will also bring a low-fi system consisting of the "What the heck it's cheaper than than lunch amp!", TDA7297, Sony Playstation 1, and a pair of speakers (haven't decided which ones).

I will also bring my Quickie-battery powered preamp to be swapped in a mixed system and can bring a Foreplay pre if requested.

Cary Chin
Bottlehead Ambassador
Old 29th July 2015, 05:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok - Here's what may make it...

2-3 Tube amps 30 W/ ch ("Kingfisher" P-P w/improved compensation), "Miz Piggie" screen driven SE retooled for Schade feedback (8-10W/ch). "Contentious Amp" (PP) or "Iron Garter" (PP) (15-20W/CH).

2-3 Solid State Amps (maybe more) - Le Mutant Class A, "Das Ist Aber Schade" SE Class A with transformer coupling, L'Fake Lite with Schade fake SIT and light bulb load - maybe more.

Two preamps - one rudimentary box w/All-In-One MM RIAA preamp and lineamp w/gain setup, one box w/MC preamp and All-In-One MM preamp/lineamp w/gain (alt design). configurable for flexible setup.
Those who want to bring MC TT can specify load resistor beforehand.

TT - Denon DP-1100 w/ Denon DL-160 high output MC cartridge.

Speakers - Tri-Trix transmission line or sealed box 16X drivers in hexagonal prism omni setup.

CD - highfaluttin' CD player from Cal Audio Labs.

Last edited by wrenchone; 29th July 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 29th July 2015, 06:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Still finalizing my plans, but I'll nonetheless do some blue sky thinking about what I will be bringing:

LOUDSPEAKERS:
* A sub+stereo panel system (sorry, I don't have a fancy name for these yet) - this is a large, 12-slot-loaded-driver deep-U-Frame subwoofer at center, flanked by open baffle dipole 3-way panels similar to these speakers that I demoed last year: mid-size open baffle plus "FIN" design prototype
* Another but yet-to-be-finalized and more conventional loudspeaker pair

STREAMING AUDIO DEMO
Both of the above loudspeakers are wireless, active systems. I will be streaming audio to them and I will be happy to demo the system and answer questions. I use all open source, free software for this.

SOFTWARE DSP CROSSOVERS USING LINUX AUDIO APPS
Both active speakers will be using active DSP crossovers that are implemented under Linux using open source software and some software that I have written for this purpose.

The "blue sky" part of this is that I need to be able to stream across the wireless network at the host company or I need to bring my own WiFi router and implement my own private network for streaming. I still need to contact the host to see what is possible on that end.
Old 5th August 2015, 01:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's the preamp I originally showed in the BA 2015 announcement thread as a bare board all loaded up any ready for gain-phase measurements to tweak the compensation. There are two channels of MM RIAA preamp and two lineamp channels on board, as well as a fast discrete shunt regulator. This will make its way to BA after proving its stuff in my living room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_Pre.JPG (229.1 KB, 161 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!