The Burning Amp 2015-Schedules & Info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is a thread to get the logistics worked out for San Francisco Burning Amp Festival 2015
which takes place Saturday October 17, 2015. Any discussions, assignments and notifications regarding
this year's BAF should be in this thread.

Post regarding what you'll bring, and we'll update the lists.

I'll put up the available rooms, and how they're being filled in the post right below this.

General talk about 2015 Burning Amp Festival and how great it is and will be should remain in the Main thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/club...rning-amp-festival-saturday-october-17th.html

BurningAmp : The annual audio DIY event for audiophiles who make their own equipment, components for amps, speakers, and parts.

original BAF thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/106844-burning-amp-festival-audio-happening.html

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Friday, 16th October 2015

6:30PM Volunteers Needed! Early Bird System Setups. Big systems especially will benefit from early deployment, plus you can relax Saturday Morning! Also arrange furniture and meeting rooms for an Audio Show!

Saturday, 17th October 2015

8:00-9:00 Final Setup, Bring your stuff

10:00 Official start. Late arrivals set up. General auditioning begins

10:00-10:30 Presentation Area:Bryan Levin:Arduino Based Remote Controls

10:45-11:15 AM Charlie Laub Presentation: DSP and Streaming Audio on the Raspberry Pi

12:30-1:30 Onsite Lunch- $10 – Indian Cuisine – auditions continue

1:30 Presentation Area- Roger A. Modjesky, of Music Reference, RAM Labs, and Berkeley HiFi School:”Tube Amp Designs and Principles"

2:45 Presentation Area- Nelson Pass, Pass Labs:”My Latest Amp & Other Tales From The Crypt”

4:00 Swap Meet

4:30 Give Away Raffle

5:00 Hors d'ouvres, Refreshments, Conversation, General Auditioning

Sunday, 18th October 2015

11:00 AM Volunteers needed for cleanup and returning furniture to it's previous location

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
2015 BURNING AMP, Oct. 17th

The Presentation Area:
Bryan Levin: Arduino Based Remote Controls

Charlie Laub: DSP and Streaming Audio on the Raspberry Pi

Roger A. Modjeski: Tube Amp Designs and Principles

Nelson Pass: Mystery Amp and other Tales From the Crypt

Swapmeet: Bring stuff to sell or trade

Raffle of parts, auction: Bring stuff to donate

Wavebourn PA system During 2 Final Presentations auditions will be shut down

The Open Area:
Linear Systems tables
Audio Xpress
Other Manufacturer's and Dealers Tables
Snacks and drinks tables

W/ The Linkwitz Lair
Sources: S. Linkwitz: supplied source, other sources welcome.
Preamps: S. Linkwitz: supplied preamp
Amplifiers: Hypex
Crossover: Hypex
Loudspeakers: New! Linkwitz LX Studio & LX Mini

The Oersted Room: amb System, Ti Kan
Sources: amb DAC
Preamps: amb
Amplifiers: amb
Loudspeakers: CBT36 line arrays

The Kahng Room : chunky IPA
Sources: Linn LP12 w/Graham 1.5T Tonearm + 2.0 Bearing Upgrade Dynavector 17d3 Cartridge
Mose Hercules II Power Supply
Preamps:Musical Fidelity M1ViNL w/ MiniDSP HD 4x10 active x-over
Amplifiers: 2) EAD PowerMaster 500
Loudspeakers: Big Multiway DIY

The Pass Pub: Will feature a system supporting "Papa" Pass' Presentation. Clone components of Pass designs, and projects inspired by Pass designs brought by attendees will be swapped in.
Sources: Nelson Pass
Preamps: Nelson Pass.
Amplifiers: Nelson Pass Designed.... If you have a Pass amp, even if it's in another room also, bring it by to be auditioned and blessed by the Man himself!
Loudspeakers: Nelson Pass: Mystery Speakers

The Packard & Hewlett Room: Sophisticated remote controlled system by Bryan Levin, (linuxworks)
Sources: SPDF Computer Source
Preamps:Custom preamp with remote input and controls
Amplifiers: DIY active on loudspeakers
Loudspeakers:2-Way DIY loudspeakers

The Edison Room:
Sources: Turntable
Preamps: 6F6G tube preamp
Amplifiers: Koho Tube amps
Loudspeakers: Koho suspended backloaded horns with customized Lowther drivers

The Lilienfeld Room: Dana Brock
Sources: Oppo Disk Player
Preamps:
Amplifiers: ACA Amps
Loudspeakers: Ported cabinet with Fostex FE103EN

The Fourier Room: nikon f
Sources: Marantz CD player
Preamps: Foreplay
Amplifiers: Bottlehead Sex 2.1 amplifier
Loudspeakers: MarkAudio Alpair 12P Drivers

The Maxwell Room wrenchone
Sources: TT - Denon DP-1100 w/ Denon DL-160 cartridge, Hotrod Audio Labs CD
Preamps: Two preamps - one rudimentary box w/All-In-One MM RIAA preamp and lineamp w/gain setup, one box w/MC preamp and All-In-One MM preamp/lineamp w/gain
Amplifiers: 2-3 Tube amps 30 W/ ch ("Kingfisher" P-P w/improved compensation), "Miz Piggie" screen driven SE retooled for Schade feedback (8-10W/ch). "Contentious Amp" (PP) or "Iron Garter" (PP) (15-20W/CH).
2-3 Solid State Amps (maybe more) - Le Mutant Class A, "Das Ist Aber Schade" SE Class A with transformer coupling, L'Fake Lite with Schade fake SIT and light bulb load - maybe more
Loudspeakers: Tri-Trix transmission line or sealed box 16X drivers in hexagonal prism omni setup

The Faraday Room: Charlie Laub
Sources: Audio will be streaming to speakers over WiFi from a music server with remote control.
Preamps:Both active speakers will be using active Raspberry Pi DSP crossovers that are implemented under Linux using open source software and some custom software.
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers: Active MTM loudspeaker

The Ampere Room
Sources: - DIY Belt-Drive TT, with Clearaudio Arm, and Benz Micro LOMC - J. Gross
Preamps:
- Phono Stage based on the PassDIY Pearl 2 - J.Gross
- Line Stage PreAmp, based on the PassDIY B1 Buffer Preamp - J. Gross
Amplifiers: Big Aleph- gl
Loudspeakers: SEAS Odin- K. Neumann

The Tesla Room: Trifield Demonstration
Sources: Supplied
Preamps:Custom preamp with derived third channel
Amplifiers:As required
Loudspeakers:2-Way loudspeakers

The Tom Swift Room: Retro '70's room -David Pile
Sources: Sansui
Amplifiers: Pioneer
Loudspeakers: Allison

The Bardeen Brattain Shockley Room: vilfort
Sources: Assorted DACs and SPDIF (wireless)
Preamps: Hybrid 6sn7 2sk134/2sj49 POC design built in a DH200 chassis
Amplifiers: 6SN7 + 300B to MOSFET hybrid (250W) in DH500 chassis & AK4398 DAC + 6SN7 to 2sk1058/2sj162 MOSFET Circlotron PoweDAC in HaflerPro chassis
Loudspeakers: Open baffle MTM speakers (and perhaps subwoofers)

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Volunteers:

Friday at 6pm or soon thereafter:

Help to organize the space, Put up signs, etc.
Anyone can come set up your equipment if you want to relax Saturday Morning

DominiqueEm
Toobhed
Linuxworks
MLise
Paul Norton
Bill Collins
JonPike
kstlfido

Saturday- Show Day 8 AM or soon thereafter
Show should continue until 6 or 8 PM, who knows?

Unison845
Lousymusician
Bill Bernt
frogeye
GL
DBrock

Sunday - 10AM
Re-org the furniture, Remove posters, load out equipment for people who leave it on site Saturday Evening!

Scott McGee
Charlie Laub

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Free stuff for traditional raffle. People generally dig deep and bring parts that they know in their hearts they'll never use. This is always a big deal, and a tradition started when at the first BAF Nelson Pass pulled up with a filled F-250 pickup..

Last edited:
I am requesting being placed in the DeForest room. I will bring my Bottlehead Sex 2.1 amplifier, Marantz CD player, and Fostex FE103EN speakers. More than happy to have the Sex amp swapped in with other speakers. I will also bring a low-fi system consisting of the "What the heck it's cheaper than than lunch amp!", TDA7297, Sony Playstation 1, and a pair of speakers (haven't decided which ones).

I will also bring my Quickie-battery powered preamp to be swapped in a mixed system and can bring a Foreplay pre if requested.

Cary Chin
Bottlehead Ambassador

Ok - Here's what may make it...

2-3 Tube amps 30 W/ ch ("Kingfisher" P-P w/improved compensation), "Miz Piggie" screen driven SE retooled for Schade feedback (8-10W/ch). "Contentious Amp" (PP) or "Iron Garter" (PP) (15-20W/CH).

2-3 Solid State Amps (maybe more) - Le Mutant Class A, "Das Ist Aber Schade" SE Class A with transformer coupling, L'Fake Lite with Schade fake SIT and light bulb load - maybe more.

Two preamps - one rudimentary box w/All-In-One MM RIAA preamp and lineamp w/gain setup, one box w/MC preamp and All-In-One MM preamp/lineamp w/gain (alt design). configurable for flexible setup.
Those who want to bring MC TT can specify load resistor beforehand.

TT - Denon DP-1100 w/ Denon DL-160 high output MC cartridge.

Speakers - Tri-Trix transmission line or sealed box 16X drivers in hexagonal prism omni setup.

CD - highfaluttin' CD player from Cal Audio Labs.

Last edited:
Still finalizing my plans, but I'll nonetheless do some blue sky thinking about what I will be bringing:

LOUDSPEAKERS:
* A sub+stereo panel system (sorry, I don't have a fancy name for these yet) - this is a large, 12-slot-loaded-driver deep-U-Frame subwoofer at center, flanked by open baffle dipole 3-way panels similar to these speakers that I demoed last year: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/263597-mid-size-open-baffle-plus-fin-design-prototype.html
* Another but yet-to-be-finalized and more conventional loudspeaker pair​

STREAMING AUDIO DEMO
Both of the above loudspeakers are wireless, active systems. I will be streaming audio to them and I will be happy to demo the system and answer questions. I use all open source, free software for this.​

SOFTWARE DSP CROSSOVERS USING LINUX AUDIO APPS
Both active speakers will be using active DSP crossovers that are implemented under Linux using open source software and some software that I have written for this purpose.​

The "blue sky" part of this is that I need to be able to stream across the wireless network at the host company or I need to bring my own WiFi router and implement my own private network for streaming. I still need to contact the host to see what is possible on that end.

Here's the preamp I originally showed in the BA 2015 announcement thread as a bare board all loaded up any ready for gain-phase measurements to tweak the compensation. There are two channels of MM RIAA preamp and two lineamp channels on board, as well as a fast discrete shunt regulator. This will make its way to BA after proving its stuff in my living room.

Attachments

• New_Pre.JPG
    New_Pre.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 823
It's been entertaining honing the compensation for this project (shown above). Having said that, I'm converging on some acceptable solutions, and I'll post schematics and results in my "All In One" preamp thread when done. Since all the gain cells on this particular board employ feedback, channel to channel gain matching is exceptionally close, as should be the RIAA compensation.

Unless this approach sounds like doo-doo (not likely), it'll make its way to BA, very likely with an MC preamp under the same hood.

If someone can bring a TT with a LOMC (Bill Berndt, where are you?), we can do some audition/shootout stuff. I may park a pair of modest step-up transformers (I have several flavors, and will put them up for vote for a likely candidate when I chase them all down) in the same box.

I have heard good things about aptX. It's NOT strictly lossless, but tries to "do no harm" if/when possible.

One thing that I am experimenting with is streaming to a loudspeaker pair in which there is one "receiver" embedded in each speaker. This requires close synchrony of the playback. So far I have had some moderate success using RTSP/RTP over WiFi, but I need to make some additional timing measurements before I know for sure. I would be open to other means that could achieve tightly sync'd playback. aptX does have some synchronization mechanisms built in, but I'm just not up to speed on it at this time. I definitely do not want something that is commercial and requires an outlay for a "receiver" unit, so that would be a turn off for me.

Anyway, let's not pollute this thread talking about it but instead start a new one (someone can take the lead on that in the PC forum), or you are welcome to contact me via PM.

It looks like I'm really going to be bringing a heavy-duty MC phono preamp to BA, as the layout is almost done. Last considerations will involve choice of RIAA equalization caps (100nF/34nf vs. 200nF/68nF) and compensation for each stage.

Peoples thinking of bringing an MC-enabled turntable should declare themselves, so we can work out preferred input loading beforehand. For the sake of comparison, I'll be also loading in one of several choices of budget/re-purposed step-up transformers. This is also subject to negotiation if some intrepid individual wants to step up to the plate and bring something that spins with a low output MC cartridge hanging off the business end...

Last edited:
3- or 4-way DIY Loudspeakers

I'm definitely coming this year (for the first time), and could potentially bring some DIY loudspeakers I recently built at TechShop if there is room/interest. Here's a link to pictures of the speakers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78525853@N08/sets/72157651761808375/

The minimal setup would be:
  • Digital/Analog Source(s)
  • MiniDSP HD 4x10 (active x-over and potentially volume control)
  • EAD PowerMaster 500 x 2 (6-8 channels amplification required)

Optional (semi-diy) components could be:
  • Linn LP12 w/
    • Graham 1.5T Tonearm + 2.0 Bearing Upgrade
    • Greenstreet Subchassis
    • Dynavector 17d3 Cartridge
    • Mose Hercules II Power Supply
    • Musical Fidelity M1ViNL Preamp

I'm definitely coming this year (for the first time), and could potentially bring some DIY loudspeakers I recently built at TechShop if there is room/interest. Here's a link to pictures of the speakers:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78525853@N08/sets/72157651761808375/

The minimal setup would be:
  • Digital/Analog Source(s)
  • MiniDSP HD 4x10 (active x-over and potentially volume control)
  • EAD PowerMaster 500 x 2 (6-8 channels amplification required)

Optional (semi-diy) components could be:
  • Linn LP12 w/
    • Graham 1.5T Tonearm + 2.0 Bearing Upgrade
    • Greenstreet Subchassis
    • Dynavector 17d3 Cartridge
    • Mose Hercules II Power Supply
    • Musical Fidelity M1ViNL Preamp

Nice speaker build!

How are you going to get all of that stuff from Atlanta to CA?

Linear Integrated Systems(Linear Systems) Design Contest

This year Linear Integrated Systems announces a design contest for the “best” design which incorporates Linear Integrated Systems devices.

Rules:

· The contest will be held on October 17, 2015 during the Burning Amp Festival.

· All Burning Amp Festival attendees are welcome to participate.

· Two Categories (Physical Design with Circuit Diagram) & (Circuit Diagram only).

· All Circuit Diagrams for both categories need to be submitted/emailed to LIS (sales@linearsystems.com) no later than Monday, October 5, 2015.

· LIS will select the judges. LIS will announce the winners after the show on the LIS website.

Prizes:

Physical Design and Circuit Diagram

1st Place (100pcs LSJ74 TO-92 and 100pcs LSK170 TO-92 or $500.00 Cash),

2nd Place (50pcs LSJ74 TO-92 and 50pcs LSK170 TO-92 or $250.00 Cash)

Circuit Diagram Only

1st Place($200)

2nd Place ($150)

3rd Place ($100)

· Winners will allow LIS to publish photos and circuit diagrams of the winning designs and designer without further compensation.

Sincerely,
Paul Norton
Marketing Manager
Linear Interated Systems(Linear Systems)

In the Tesla room I will be bringing an nCore 400 DIY build for amplifiers, and as backup an NAD M22.

In addition to the Ardent three way, I may also have a new three way stand mounted book shelf using the Seas C18EN001 coaxial midrange/tweeter. This system has a very interesting presentation due to the coaxial mid/tweeter driver, though it takes some special care in the crossover to realize it's potential, due to the characteristics of the driver. This speaker uses Wavecor SW223BD02 woofer and ScanSpeak 26W/00-0 PR, for LF extension that is -3 db at 24 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.