The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wrenchone said:
Vlad, I could use a mill like that, with or without Danske autofeed. I understand that brand of autofeed takes a lot of upkeep - the beer bill is espeially punishing... Seriously, I'm probably going to spring for a micro mill when my basement is a little better organized. I'd like one of the bigger ones, but getting it down into the basement is beyond me. I do other stuff besides diy audio, and the ability to do something liike mill an o-ring groove would be pretty helpful.

On another note - I've tried several times to go to the images section at the Burning Amp site, and get nothing but a title. Is everything ready there yet? Maybe a browser issue (I'm using Mozilla)?

Hi Wrenchone,
I do not know how did I live without mill before.
:D
I started with Grizzly Industrial mill and lathe, but I did a lots of work on them - VFD, DRO... They are not great but they are better than nothing. They also have a reasonable price. My mill is desktop mill, but much more capable than micro or mini mill. I hate the fact when you hit the limitation that you cannot do much about it. My experience is that mill is small part of your purchase. What you really pay are tools, measurement instruments and material holding. Grizzly has it all but in many cases not greatest quality. For me it was great because I was able to learn without paying huge price. I would suggest look into used market as well.

I recently purchased used Bridgeport clone for $ 700.00 that included three phase converter (that I do not need after VFD conversion) Obviously you need space to house such a machine.
You will know what will work for you, but if you have room for micro or mini mill than you will have room for desktop mill that is not much more expensive. There are many Chinese or Taiwanese mills out there in used market, and they might work for you.

I would be happy to help you with any more advice if you need.
Regarding images, there are lots of images to load on that one page. You have to wait little bit after title loads, than albums will load. It is as fast as Comcast allows it.
:D :D :D

anatech said:
Hi wrenchone,
Gee, you're nice about it!

I may use a solder pick (very fine) and bend the leads up. I remove the solder first. I have heard of people using piano wire. I want to try that.

If the chip is stuck well, or the board is lousy and the traces are peeling up easily, I use the cut off wheel on my Dremel tool. :devilr: This also works well with trouble sided PCB's when you can't get to all the solder. Small holes as an example.

Hey! It's the board or the part many times. The part is bad if you are removing it.

-Chris

FastEddy said:
AR2: " ... He is very good. ..."

Yes, he is ... does he need a job?

You guys push me to think on Saturday!
I have been thinking - what a brain power we have. This question - does he needs a job... The answer is not but we could have something interesting.
We have this site that allows people to search and read and learn. Imagine how good book we could make for people. After I spoke with Anatech, and I after I have seen how neat and peculiar he is about tools, soldering tips and irons there are many people that could learn much by reading his advices.
Now I think about Magura - metal working lessons from real Danish master. Imagine few chapters by Mr. Pass, and I could go on and on. I am already enjoying introductory written by GRollins...
I am telling you we have a dream team here and it would make one hell of a collective book.
You got my entrepreneurial soul going.

planet10 said:

Just a note: that page breaks in my primary browser (iCAB), seems fine in the 2nd (Safari). Pretty cool thou when it is working with the "hidden" grid of pictures under the displayed one.

dave

Thank you Dave.
Previously I had a problem with my domain masking - through domain provider. They created a lots of problems. Pages will load fine in Firefox, but only blank pages in IE or Safary. That is why I had to drop domain masking as workaround. My business site is through Yahoo and I had no problems there. Google and their contractor GoDaddy, that I am using for BA site, are quite another story. So if you guys see these problems, please let me know. If page only loads slower than I would say that is OK as long as it is reasonable slow.
:(

Vlad, my major limitation with a mill is weight rather than space. I can just barely lift and schlep around a mini mill at ~150 lb, but the larger desktop models are beyond me. Right now, sittting under the eaves of my house with a tarp over it is the power supply and control panel from a Norelco X-ray diffraction machine (for amateur physics, not DIY audio). At ~400 lbs, it'll sit there for a while until I can figure out how to get it down into my basement. (maybe an engine hoist).

BTW, the pictures at the Burning Amp site don't appear to load using my revision of Mozilla. They do show up with IE. Maybe it's time to upgrade to Sea Monkey, as Mozilla is no longer supported.

AR2 said:

I have been thinking - what a brain power we have. This question - does he needs a job... The answer is not but we could have something interesting.
We have this site that allows people to search and read and learn. Imagine how good book we could make for people. After I spoke with Anatech, and I after I have seen how neat and peculiar he is about tools, soldering tips and irons there are many people that could learn much by reading his advices.
Now I think about Magura - metal working lessons from real Danish master. Imagine few chapters by Mr. Pass, and I could go on and on. I am already enjoying introductory written by GRollins...
I am telling you we have a dream team here and it would make one hell of a collective book.

I was talking to Mark about this very issue shortly before I left for Denmark. We figured that some sort of static knowledge database could be useful.

Magura :)

wrenchone said:
Vlad, my major limitation with a mill is weight rather than space. I can just barely lift and schlep around a mini mill at ~150 lb, but the larger desktop models are beyond me. Right now, sittting under the eaves of my house with a tarp over it is the power supply and control panel from a Norelco X-ray diffraction machine (for amateur physics, not DIY audio). At ~400 lbs, it'll sit there for a while until I can figure out how to get it down into my basement. (maybe an engine hoist).

BTW, the pictures at the Burning Amp site don't appear to load using my revision of Mozilla. They do show up with IE. Maybe it's time to upgrade to Sea Monkey, as Mozilla is no longer supported.

Wrenchone,
I am sorry for the troubles that you are having with the web site. As I noted I had similar problem and I traced it to the GoDaddy domain masking. I removed domain masking after that and it seemed to work fine. I would like to know if anyone else is having a same problem, just to make sure before I complain to them.

I am telling you Yahoo has it nail down pretty well. Doing the same thing with Google - GoDaddy is quite opposite. I wanted to switch and move my domain name to Yahoo, but it was few days before the BAF. I figure out it was to dangerous to do it then. I will do it in a month once everyone had a chance to visit and view.

Regarding your basement, I do understand your position. Only one advice that I could have is - piano movers. I hired them once when I needed to move very heavy proofing device over some stairs. These guys were life savers.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anatech said:
Hi wrenchone,
Try Firefox. Wonderful. The companion mail client is Thunderbird. No learning curve from where you are sitting.

-Chris

stock ,naked , is pretty ordinary ...... nothing special
only equiped with at least these extensions..........

now FF works as I think ......... ;)

Attachments

• extensionslist.txt
    571 bytes · Views: 59
............my major limitation with a mill is weight.......

It was with me too. Fortunately I was going into a garage, not a basement. If broken down into pieces it's a lot easier though. But I'm sure the cast iron base of a Bridgeport is still 1000lbs!

IMHO you would be better off finding a BP or equivalent for a decent price than buying a mini mill. It will save you the trouble of selling the mini mill later;) You would probably pay less for the BP than the new mini mill and could use the difference to pay someone to move it down for you. You wouldn't regret it - as long as you don't plan on moving for a while.:D

AR2 said:

What an excellent idea. I'd be interested in contributing.

Iain McNeill said:

What an excellent idea. I'd be interested in contributing.

Any particular area that you would like to do?
I would suggest for all you guys that feel comfortable contributing please post your ideas here. I am just thinking, once we have something than I could do photography for your article illustartions. :D

Maybe we do video and print together - something like book + DVD!
Lets brain storm - something will come out for sure.
Magura, I didn't know that you spoke with Mark about this, so than even better that you guys came up with similar idea.

I already smell Burning Iron Book!
:smash: :clown:

AR2 said:

Magura, I didn't know that you spoke with Mark about this, so than even better that you guys came up with similar idea.

I already smell Burning Iron Book!
:smash: :clown:

Well, to us it was the solution to the problem of not being able to lock a WIKI page, and hence everybody and their dog edit what should really be left alone.....

But yes I sure agree a burning book sounds like a great idea, and I like your idea of adding video content as well. Fact is though, I need help with the photos.....

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We mods have kicked around an idea to have an area for treatises to be "published"

I don't think that this idea is really directly related to Burning Amp so might be better on a new thread. However, I think that it is good proof that meeting people in person really stimulates creativity!! showing how important meetings are.

Mark

Magura said:

Fact is though, I need help with the photos.....

Hmm, do not know what to do about it...
:scratch: :joker:

Variac said:

I don't think that this idea is really directly related to Burning Amp so might be better on a new thread. Mark

Please lets not open new thread yet. If idea creates much interest than lets do it, but now is too early.
:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.