The second UK diyAudio meet: UKFest08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
im new to the forum so i didnt go to last years but i would like to go this year
a couple of sujestions
london is central uk so easy to get to for most
1 very good venue is brixton rec we used to use it for testing very very big pa systems such as abashanti when we first designed them there is good parking very good acoustics and about 3-4 100a 3 phase supplys so plenty of juice to not a major requirement but hey its there :)

Guess its the "sat-nav" culture. No one actually knows more than 4 inches of the country at a time!

Last year as I was getting out of my car at Scotch Corner (an area in the north east 60 miles north of Leeds A1/A66) and I heard a lady say to her husband..." are we in Scotland yet" - I replied "no a place called the north east, you have about another 80 miles to cross the border so I would keep your doors locked" and I walked away with a confused lady and a laughing wife and son. Yep they had a Nerd-Nav stuck to there screen.

Well if a DiyFest08 isn't sorted at least a few people may have more knowledge of the British islands.

John

P.S Maybe i should just get on and build my millet max.

Weekend Agenda

Hi
Good to get this one off the ground. I enjoyed last years event and if I can make this one I would like to volunteer my services. As part of my day job I do regular presentations and run many workshops and discussion groups. I would be happy to MC the event with a few helpers to get the most from the weekend.

Some thought for the agenda:

I would like to run some comparison events such as CD, Pre, power and speakers. This would give the opportunity for a large group to listen to many different items. Included in this each designer/builder could have a few minutes to explain their wares.

Individual presentations on specific topics.

Critical listening sessions for specific setups

I dont want to give the event a corporate feel however good organisation and planning could make it more successful.

Simon

Hi.

I have a phono switch box, either 3 or 4 way.
"gold" phonos and "???" switch

Willing to donate to the cause.

I do not know whether I will be able to come this year
as I don't know my next work schedule. ( I still have to take my 3 months off from this job )

So, if you want it, pm me an address and I wil send when I return to the UK at the end of the month.

Andy

Magura said:
If you'd like some of the non-Anglo DIY'ers to pop by, I would suggest something in the vicinity of London, as we can all get plane tickets for cheap to some airport in that area.

Last year a few of us wanted to drop by, but decided against doing so, due to the time and cost involved in reaching the venue.

Magura :)

The budget airlines do not usually fly to/from Heathrow or Gatwick.

Do any Scandanavian budget carriers fly to Stanstead / Luton / Birmingham ? In fact, anywhere other than Heathrow or Gatwick!!!

Andy

poynton said:

Do any Scandanavian budget carriers fly to Stanstead / Luton / Birmingham ? In fact, anywhere other than Heathrow or Gatwick!!!

Andy

Good point. There are plenty of airports in the UK outside London, and they're mostly in the south, which is where this meet has already been planned for.

Simon

poynton said:

Andy

Stanstead is one and only airport that is used from Scandinavia by the budget carriers.

Magura :)

EDIT: Gatwick is also an option for Scandinavians, as Sterling uses this airport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.