Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What a pile of crap... Do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT buy!!!!!

If you want a good sounding class d amp, start saving up for a set of Hypex UcD180 modules.

Do NOT NOT NOT waste money on these el cheapo pile of crap so called ampliifers, they are nothing but distortion and bad noise generators.

I am following Tekko's advice and not buying a cheep amp till I have the money to get an proper one. There is one slight problem though; no matter how much I raise the volume on the pre no sound comes out of the speakers. Oh and I did as advised and took a hammer to my cheep amp, a Muse not a Lepai. Funny though in all my years of having hifi it sounded ok better than many more expensive units and I have had some quite nice stuff. Oh well...........

4PLaY considered you "quite an intelligent guy", so use your intelligence to figure out the answer.

I have multiple times, the board layout is something you find in cheap class ab cipamps, the component selection is the worst you can find.

The only way to fix a lepai amp as i said is to design a new board from scratch taking into account all the recommendations by tripath and using high quality well known brands for thre components.

Not worth it when UcD does this automatically though the post filter feedback selfosc loop.

If you cannot afford a set of Hypex UcD180ST modules, then class d is not for you.

If cheap is the requirement and your not willing to wait the time it takes to save up, then this class ab chipamp is ALOT more value for money and way better sound than the lepai stuff: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/231988-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch.html

I do not agree I am afraid the low cost class D I have heard is superb, have not heard the Lepai though. Given that most of the time people listen through one set of speakers it is no real issue if the output filter is the for one of the other. Anyway having had experience of various High End bits from single ended tubes to big Krells, I think this is a good amp. It may not be in the class of the big big boys but then these can be bought for less than a ticket to the theatre or a peak train ticket they represent an absolute bargain. In my humble experience there is a lot of difference between what various people listen for and what will make something unlistenable for them. If people are happy playing around with a component that costs pennies then all is good, it is bringing them joy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.