Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tekko,

Sorry to disappoint you but "crappy" Lepai is here to stay. I know we are not paying Cheesecake Factory price for a McDonald's cheeseburger so we aren't complaining.

For those who do complain, there is always a Burger King around the corner.

not meaning to be rude, but are you by any chance a seller of Lepai amps or is connected to this brand?

not meaning to be rude, but are you by any chance a seller of Lepai amps or is connected to this brand?

That's fine... If you read my post #1483:

... By the way, I don't work for them or their distributors...

I think this helps answer your question.

I am a school teacher by profession. I teach in a school for disadvantaged and challenged children. I am also in a missionary which helps set up schools in rural areas of Philippines, Cambodia and Indonesia. I am based in Singapore.

Ikinagagalak kong makilala ka. Tagay... :cheers:

Last edited:
they're dirt cheap that i may be tempted
to buy one and find out for myself..:D

You should buy one. Lepai is an extremely fun amp to "play" with. I knew about it when I was researching for a cheap, safe, battery-operable small amp for the village schools.

Sound-wise, they are very decent. I don't consider it "audiophile-quality" but is close enough at this price point.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
... the board layout is something you find in cheap class ab cipamps, the component selection is the worst you can find.
I agree and have posted similar comments over the years. They aren't pretty. :(

However, I own several and one has been running 24/7 for about 4 years with no problems at all. It runs our TV speakers (a 1958 vintage Fisher console). Still works and still sounds good. What more could you ask for?

I would restate what Kopi said in #1545, but add one thing.... For anyone that buys an inexpensive Lepai and are disappointed with it, consider donating it to the work that Kopi and his wife are doing abroad, and the rural areas of southeast Asia. He's using these little amps in places were teaching resources are very scarce, to further language education and teach kids about music. What better way to teach small children about the wonderment and joy of music. If these little amps are serving that purpose - despite their lo-fi sound then how cares.

Most of have us have so much if we live in a developed country, and can afford much nicer amps to feed our passion. There's no better satisfaction than sharing our love of hardware and the magic of music with those people thought the world with far less than most of us. I applaud the work and effort Kopi is doing, and in the interest of full disclosure, I sent him an audio 'care package' of small amps, and other gadgets that I no longer use or wanted so that he can put them to use in the villages he serves. Most mission efforts struggle financially and can use all the donations they can get - whether in cash or other material goods. It sounds to me like Kopi and the work he's doing could benefit from everyone doing a little to help the cause.

I don't mean to sound 'preachy' guys, but isn't this what it's all about?! :D

Regards,
Rick

Ps. I have no financial or other affiliation with the Assumption Pathway School and only learned about through corresponding with Kopi.

Last edited:
I would restate what Kopi said in #1545, but add one thing.... For anyone that buys an inexpensive Lepai and are disappointed with it, consider donating it to the work that Kopi and his wife are doing abroad, and the rural areas of southeast Asia. He's using these little amps in places were teaching resources are very scarce, to further language education and teach kids about music. What better way to teach small children about the wonderment and joy of music. If these little amps are serving that purpose - despite their lo-fi sound then how cares.

Most of have us have so much if we live in a developed country, and can afford much nicer amps to feed our passion. There's no better satisfaction than sharing our love of hardware and the magic of music with those people thought the world with far less than most of us. I applaud the work and effort Kopi is doing, and in the interest of full disclosure, I sent him an audio 'care package' of small amps, and other gadgets that I no longer use or wanted so that he can put them to use in the villages he serves. Most mission efforts struggle financially and can use all the donations they can get - whether in cash or other material goods. It sounds to me like Kopi and the work he's doing could benefit from everyone doing a little to help the cause.

What more can I say... Thank you so much coming from a friend with a heart of gold. :angel:

Yes, usually the children become excited when they are able to experience and sing along with music (a very rare opportunity for them). I must say many of them can sing like angels. If we can find a way to sign them up for talent shows, I am quite sure they can make it to become the next Charice or Carly Rose Sonenclar. These children may be living in small villages but they sure have big dreams. Unfortunately, many of them will eventually end up working as factory operators (making branded western goods such as Nike, Adidas, H&M, etc), drug runners or be exploited in the sex trade. Our missionary is there to help build schools and to provide teachers to educate them to "walk the right path".

Last edited:
Alright, I have another one for you guys. I have been looking around for power supplies to use for my amp. Kopi, the amp I bought did not come with a power supply, but before I go and buy anything, I have this lying around:

A Mac Mini Power Brick I no longer use. 18.5v 6a (will it be ok to use this?)

And like typical Apple fashion, It has a Wierd non-standard tip. I was wondering if I could just cut it off and replace it with a regular 5.5mm tip.

Mac Mini Power Brick Plug

Alright, I have another one for you guys. I have been looking around for power supplies to use for my amp. Kopi, the amp I bought did not come with a power supply, but before I go and buy anything, I have this lying around:

A Mac Mini Power Brick I no longer use. 18.5v 6a (will it be ok to use this?)

And like typical Apple fashion, It has a Wierd non-standard tip. I was wondering if I could just cut it off and replace it with a regular 5.5mm tip.

Mac Mini Power Brick Plug
Not sure on the voltage, but if you do cut it off, make certain the proper polarity on the tip is observed!

A Mac Mini Power Brick I no longer use. 18.5v 6a

That is way too high voltage. The maximum you can go with the TA-2021 chip is 16 volts, but still you are pushing your luck. To be safe, I suggest 12v 5A. If you can find an older Samsung or Viewsonic LCD monitor, the power adapter it uses is probably rated 12v 5A. That's how I source for additional power adapters. :)

Last edited:
Ok, I will rummage around some more. Thanks guys. :D

In the US, try Salvation Army or Goodwill thrift stores... Look for an old Samsung, Viewsonic or IBM LCD monitor. I think they allow you to buy the power adapter separately.

Make sure it has a 5.5mm/2.5mm IEC 60130-10 Type A coaxial power connector (a.k.a. Adaptaplug "N" white, Radio Shack part number 3807940). The inner ring is "+" and the outer sleeve is "-".

Be sure to test if working before buying.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.