Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:D Just so you all know. I am in the Philippines. Dunno why the flag in my username is US, did not have a place to choose during registration. Yeah I did find AC adapters for monitors in an online shop. Now I know to stick to 12v 5a strictly. :)

Pasensiya na talaga... I always thought you are based in the US. :ashamed:

There are plenty of used computer dealers in Manila if you live around the metropolitan areas. They probably be able to sell you a power adapter. Otherwise, just buy them new for a few hundred Pesos more.

Fellow Pinoy, moderator AJT may be able to help you as well.

Last edited:
:D Just so you all know. I am in the Philippines. Dunno why the flag in my username is US, did not have a place to choose during registration. Yeah I did find AC adapters for monitors in an online shop. Now I know to stick to 12v 5a strictly. :)

you can always change your flag if you edit your informations...fyi, we have kababayan's in the states and donning the american flag....i too used the russian flag while i was working in russia, just to indicate my present location...

@kopi, there are two of us here, one is jojod?

just a heads up, we do not discuss religion and politics here....

Yes indeed the enclosure has sharp, potentially hazardous edges - at least the samples I have on hand. Especially the edges of the aluminum extrusion that are not sanded to smooth surface. Perhaps the new versions improved, but the earlier ones can cut
your hands wide open...but again bit of sandpaper solves that...:)

@KopiOkaya - are you sure you are not working for Lepai?....:)

If I work for them, I won't be here chatting with you guys. ;)

For sure it starts to appear that way...:)

Yes, I do help mass order Lepai amps direct from China for the village schools, my close friends and a small group of T-amp enthusiasts in Singapore. Mass ordering isn't considered an employment with the company, I don't think so.

Here in Singapore, we have organised a small support group for Lepai amps since there isn't an official distributor or service center locally. We help solve each other's amp problems. Those of us who know basic electronics and soldering - like myself, will help service and mod the amps when needed. That is why I mentioned earlier that I dismantle every Lepai amp that comes to me so that I know what is new inside every batch of Lepai amp. This is also the main reason why I participate in this forum - to learn from the people here.

Last edited:
@KopiOkaya - thanks for the explanation ...:)
At the same price ( or virtually same price, or less ) you should try the Sure amps
They have better components, sound better and you don't have to take them
apart...:) one notable one is the TPA 3110 2x 8 watts/channel that costs about $5.00
really great little board that works way above it's price...and you can put it in the box from mints...:)

At the same price ( or virtually same price, or less ) you should try the Sure amps

Hi jerrymchill,

I understand your good intentions. Unfortunately, DIY kit amp is not a practical choice for me right now. For the village schools, we need amps with a sturdy ready casing so that we can bolt them down onto a table or mount on the wall. This is for safety and security reasons.

Fellow forum member Redjr sent me an audio care package a few days ago. He had included an Indeed TA2020s. I told him this amp cannot be used for the schools and I explained to him why.

....Fellow forum member Redjr sent me an audio care package a few days ago. He had included an Indeed TA2020s. I told him this amp cannot be used for the schools and I explained to him why.
Just so know KO, I understood your explanation about how the Indeed would be used. There were no strings attached to the care package and how you wanted to use the gear. :D

Rick

Besides being inexpensive, battery-operable and comes in a ready-made metal case with mounting slots, the Lepai LP-2020A+ makes a good choice for us because it looks simple and plain. This is important to deter theft. If the amp looks too fancy, I am quite sure it will be stolen very soon.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me which 2020/2021/2024 amps can be used with a 14V PSU?

I gather they gain 1W or so of output over a 12V PSU, which seems worthwhile.

I just changed my Lepai (latest revision, completely standard for now) for an Indeed TA2020, so of course I'm particularly interested in these two.

I do recall reading that the Lepai will shut down over 13.8V.

This might sound perverse, but I might try using the Lepai to power a JPW passive sub (12 Ohm, intended to go with their 8 Ohm bookshelf models) for a small (obviously) amount of bass reinforcement. Although not until I swap out the 2200uF reservoir cap for the biggest one that will fit.

Main speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's (6 Ohm/86dB), which both the Lepai and Indeed have no trouble driving to neighbour-baiting levels (firing down the length of a 17' L x 11' W x 8.5' H room).

(ETA >> IOW, bi-amping! The input can be looped through the Lepai to the Indeed.)

BTW, in the UK Richer Sounds are selling the Diamond 9.0s on ePay for £49.95 + £2.99 express delivery (how I got mine) - they appear to have massively over-stocked the little suckers (quantity avaiable - 2037!!!), hence the effort to off-load them.

Last edited:
...I do recall reading that the Lepai will shut down over 13.8V...

If I remember correctly, the 13.8 shutdown voltage only applies to Lepai. The rest of the TA-2020 amps don't have this issue.

I maybe wrong. Can somebody confirm this?

(ETA >> IOW, bi-amping! The input can be looped through the Lepai to the Indeed.)

How do you do this??? I am very keen to do bi-amp or tri-amp even. I have a pair of 10" sub sitting inside the storeroom waiting to be deployed.

BTW, in the UK Richer Sounds are selling the Diamond 9.0s on ePay for £49.95 + £2.99.

What a pity!!! I wish Richer Sounds ships worldwide. By the way, I am currently using a pair of Diamond 10.2 but I heard the 9.0 is better.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, the 13.8 shutdown voltage only applies to Lepai. The rest of the TA-2020 amps don't have this issue.

I maybe wrong. Can somebody confirm this?
That's pretty much what I thought - I'll see if Peter Cheung can tell me if the Indeed is OK with 14V.

Aleksunder said:

How do you do this??? I am very keen to do bi-amp or tri-amp even. I have a pair of 10" sub sitting inside the storeroom waiting to be deployed.

Pretty simple - the 3.5mm jack and RCA's on the Lepai are the same input, so one becomes a line-out when the other has an input connected.

Input impedance might become become an issue with 2 or more 'daisy chained' (the impedances are paralleled), but I'm using the headphone output from an LG TV, so not a problem for me

(Don't laugh; HDMI from nVidia GTX660 graphics-card to LG monitor (i.e. PCM over HDMI), then the LG's headphone output to amp - it easily betters the analogue-outs from my M-audio Delta 410 soundcard in every way - dynamics, openess, bass etc').

Aleksunder said:
BTW, in the UK Richer Sounds are selling the Diamond 9.0s on ePay for £49.95 + £2.99.
What a pity!!! I wish Richer Sounds ships worldwide. By the way, I am currently using a pair of Diamond 10.2 but I heard the 9.0 is better.

Sorry about that! I don't know - I'm guessing the 10.2 is bigger and more efficient, and probably has more bass - but I'm thoroughly enjoying the Indeed and 9.0's! (ETA 2 >> of course the major difference between the 9 and 10 series is the switch to rear-porting on the 10's - the front porting on the 9.0's suits my needs perfectly).

[ETA >> thanks to Sofaspud - he pointed out the Lepai's 'loop-through' input to me)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.