Lepai T-Amp with TA2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is the photo. After 5 tries.

Attachments

• underside-lepai.jpg
    underside-lepai.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,097
Nice work Michael.

It looks like a lot of the main board could be eliminated if one were to use an off-board volume pot and off-board input caps.

Or - if bi-amping - the opamp etc. could be used on one amp as a low pass filter and on the other amp as a high pass filter.

Lepai lp222a vs Trends Audio TA-10

Hello

firstly thanks to all for the very interesting threads.

What I read is that ta2020 perform better the bass and is a little more powerful that ta2040, but ta2040, if well configured, can have good performances in low too and maybe in medium and high frequencies can perform a little better than ta2020.
Then performances depends a lot by the confirgurations.

Now a question: please somebody had the chance to compare Lepai lp222a (with a good transformer 12v or 13.8v stabilized, 3A) no mod with Trends Audio TA-10 no mod?
Feelings? Frequency response? Signal noise?

Thankyou very much!

rob

Re: Lepai lp222a vs Trends Audio TA-10

zigo3 said:
Hello

firstly thanks to all for the very interesting threads.

What I read is that ta2020 perform better the bass and is a little more powerful that ta2040, but ta2040, if well configured, can have good performances in low too and maybe in medium and high frequencies can perform a little better than ta2020.
Then performances depends a lot by the confirgurations.

Now a question: please somebody had the chance to compare Lepai lp222a (with a good transformer 12v or 13.8v stabilized, 3A) no mod with Trends Audio TA-10 no mod?
Feelings? Frequency response? Signal noise?

Thankyou very much!

rob

I am sorry. I wrote 2040 instead of 2024.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Lepai lp222a vs Trends Audio TA-10

zigo3 said:

No contest. The Trends TA-10 is much better.

With some modifications the Lepai can sound almost as good as the TA-10. I run my Lepai on 15V 3A, so that gives it a little more headroom.

Re: Re: Lepai lp222a vs Trends Audio TA-10

dasc said:
@Fin,

Can you e-mail me the details of Eric so I can order a Lepai. I tried e-mailing you but got the message that my account is under moderation.
Thanks in advance.

Hi dasc

Go to your member profile...to edit options....and enable your email.....then I'll be able to send you a message.

panomaniac said:

No contest. The Trends TA-10 is much better.

With some modifications the Lepai can sound almost as good as the TA-10. I run my Lepai on 15V 3A, so that gives it a little more headroom.

It's good to know where it stands amongst other T-Amps.

Power Supply Mod for Fin

Hi Fin,
I mentioned that I got some NAN 40's for a retired techo friend.
I told him that I had blown a fuse on mine so he had a look at it and his judgement is that the diodes C10 11 12 and 13 are not suited here, so he replaced them with (Dick Smith part no.) 1N4007.
He's also drawn up a full schematic of the thing.
If I can ever learn to work this scanner I could drop you a copy. Let's know if you're interested.
Cheers

Lepai

I stumbled across this thread after being sent towards an ebay seller called hardwarehouse. He sells several different Lepai amps and I wondered which one of these you've been using and whether any of the others deserve investigation? If this is a different seller, could someone email me the details of Eric so I can look at what he has too, please?

Hi Hounddog32

Eric is Hardwarehouse - however, dealing with him directly (as opposed to going through the eBay store) can be a bit cheaper. He is treating everyone in this thread as being connected in some way and gives us a discount. If you enable "email" in you personal details - I'll send you his email address.

Re: Power Supply Mod for Fin

sashmo said:
Hi Fin,
I mentioned that I got some NAN 40's for a retired techo friend.
I told him that I had blown a fuse on mine so he had a look at it and his judgement is that the diodes C10 11 12 and 13 are not suited here, so he replaced them with (Dick Smith part no.) 1N4007.
He's also drawn up a full schematic of the thing.
If I can ever learn to work this scanner I could drop you a copy. Let's know if you're interested.
Cheers

Hi Sashmo

Thanks for this info.....and the schematics would be great to have when you master the scanner.

Well...... he sings again:D

Just opened her up to find that one or two of the output diodes were dodgy so I did some niffty soldering of some MBRS130T3 SMT's I had in my sonic box.

Should have done the input bypass but didn't have time.... at least I have tunes in the kitchen once more:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.