Class D amplifier 1 KW RMS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why?

I dont know why some people make fun of attempting high power low frequency class d.

Well, unless you have lots of experience designing smaller Class D amps, you have no idea what you are in for, and how damn hard it is.

Since it is so damn hard, it would be easier and cheaper to buy a commercially built one.

Especially if it is for a subwoofer.

Jocko

Elias!

Leads as in real life,
HCPL2631: Pin1 is in upper left corner,
IR2110: Pin1 is in lower right corner.

But for the matter of fact, you will have to solve more complicated problems, if you want to build it! It's not intended to be a step to step building guide, just my notes, or idea for others. (Other guys are (maybe) right, it can be cheaper to by one. But I don't know what is available in Brazil.)

Pafi:
Good work! This will show the 'can't be done' doom-and-gloom merchants. Although having said that, you're obviously experienced in this field and I would agree with the view that a 1kW switcher is not a suitable ground-up project for complete beginners.

Back in 1988 I worked for a military electronics place which had a great big vibrating machine with which they used to subject our products to MIL spec. This thing had a big 'voice coil' and driver rated at several kW and with a bandwidth of 2-3kHz. One day we strapped a big wooden board to the vibration table to act as a 'cone' and fed the machine with an external signal from a portable cassette player. Then we jacked up the power on the servo amp to full. It was loud, but not as loud as we thought it would be. And it sounded more like very loud traffic noise than music. But the 100mm cone excursion was quite impressive .

At a research org I worked at during the 1990's the Science Buzzards had a great big Instron electro-hydraulic load tester which was capable of generating forces of 50kN or so, and could achieve speeds of 20 m/s. I always wanted to try make a meaty subwoofer transducer out of this thing, but the org had several white coated tekkies watching over the Instron on a 24 hr basis and they were very suspicious of young elec eng bods showing more than a casual interest in their baby.

please friends... postem + schems of amps class D full bridge based in IC the IR2110/2113 this I find in Brazil with easiness.... want to analizer + schems pra to see which to mount.... have great experience in projects of amplifiers of high power professional in class AB and H until 6KW rms .... class D, never I mounted none. I am thankful since already all that to help me.

thanks

Elias Novaes said:
a designer of car amps of the south of brasi, created one amp class D with 2.3KW rms.... many does not believe of such feat sees in link below and comments please ....
http://stforum.com.br/index.php?showtopic=45763&st=0

Class D amps are very efficient but is that an entire 12 V car amp with power supply included for 2300 Wrms?! :bigeyes: If so, that is amazing because it would be 5x that size if done in a linear fashion!

I looked through that thread and never saw schematics.... I don't comprehend Portuguese so I'm not sure but did he ever post schematics for that amp? That thing is beautiful :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looking at that pic it seems that the 8 TO220 devices are the push-pull FETs for the psu and the 4 TO247 guys are the output FETs... is that really enough to achieve 2300 Wrms? If so, that truly is amazing :eek:

Elias and rth,

I designed in the past some high power car amps working in class B and I can say, with no aditional information about this amp, that the component choice and the structure of it allow that level of continuous power. Many car audio class D amps have similar structure.

The big issue there is cooling and heatsinking. I think it would work well for musical programs using proper cooling.

Best regards

I always though someone should make one of these...

Attachments

• 555-ppm.jpg
    555-ppm.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,618
I have tried the 555 as a pulse position modulator (PPM) in a class D amplifier.

The results were not pleasing. It seemed that the variance of duty cycle due to pulse position was not as practical as pulse width modulation.

I suppose one could make it work, but it was not worth my hair pulling when a simple LM311 comparator with triangle wave gen attached was leagues ahead and sounded really good.

Class D amps

I'm sorry but this is not a trivial task. Just buy the UcD700 amp module. Bridge 2 if you still need more power than that. I know you don't learn as much but from what sounds like your experience level, you are in for a lot of pain before you get a 1KW design to work. Myself I use the ICE 1000 modules in my products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.