Class D amplifier 1 KW RMS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
ive been in car audio for long time...

these 2300wrm car amps are rated for very low impedance drive, like one ohm and lower.

Mmats used to build them...

picture taken at CES back in 97 or 98...

Attachments

• power amp.jpg
    power amp.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,022
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
another picture...one of these amps was driving something like 12 15" subwoofers in this boom box...

enter at your own risk...that was totaly crazy, they were driving 135db+ with a 20-30hz sine wave...

lol, that was gooood time

Attachments

• boom box.jpg
    boom box.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,909
skaara said:
I dont know why some people make fun of attempting high power low frequency class d.. I built quite a few smps but never built class d for real use and now i`d try it because it works on same principle. If i understand that properly it wouldnt need that high switching frequency for amplifying signals up to 500hz (or 1 khz)..

Would 10khz switching frequency be enough?
And is negative feedback necessary?

I tried once building class d with sg2524 for fun, it was very simple and it worked but i wonder if this would work for that power too?

10khz switching frequency is impractical. Size of output filter components become huge.

I have done full-bridge with 300v rail witch is good for about 6kW to 8ohms. (have measured 4.5kW to 4.5ohms) If you decide to desing it for 16ohms load things get easier and 300v rail with full-bridge still gives you almost 3kW.

4pcs of STW45NM50FD in full-bridge should be capable of that power if you drive them properly at enough low frequency. Infineon has some even better candidates, but usually with slow body-diode.

mzzj said:

10khz switching frequency is impractical. Size of output filter components become huge.

I have done full-bridge with 300v rail witch is good for about 6kW to 8ohms. (have measured 4.5kW to 4.5ohms) If you decide to desing it for 16ohms load things get easier and 300v rail with full-bridge still gives you almost 3kW.

4pcs of STW45NM50FD in full-bridge should be capable of that power if you drive them properly at enough low frequency. Infineon has some even better candidates, but usually with slow body-diode.

What chipset did you use for the PWM? You wouldn't happen to still have an (eagle) schematic of this beast would you? :)

Sam.

samborambo said:

What chipset did you use for the PWM? You wouldn't happen to still have an (eagle) schematic of this beast would you? :)

Sam.
"Chipset" :D
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~masaj/class-d/P1040036.jpg

Some schematics here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69429&highlight=

I am currently doing layout for SMD PWM-stage board and opto/mag-couplers for drive signals. Plus tiny powersupply with 4x floating 15v outputs for gate drivers.

Anyone intrested in lower-power(100w-1kW) project based on Crown-BCA topology?

Re: Class T Option

Antz said:
You may consider building a Class T amplifier. It also has a switching output topology but the creation of the switching signal follows a digital route. Tripath, www.tripath.com, make the necessary processing chips all you have to do is add the output FETs. Again it is a very power efficient design which results in low weight but high power. There was a 300W per channel, bridge-able to 600W, described in Elektor Magazine starting June 2004 based on Tripath's TA3020. If you would like the articles I have them in soft format, I can email them to you.

Hi, will you please email the Elektor articles to me?

Anzgar

"Chipset" :D
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~masaj/class-d/P1040036.jpg

Some schematics here: my new 4.5kW class-d amp (crown BCA topology) - diyAudio

I am currently doing layout for SMD PWM-stage board and opto/mag-couplers for drive signals. Plus tiny powersupply with 4x floating 15v outputs for gate drivers.

Anyone intrested in lower-power(100w-1kW) project based on Crown-BCA topology?

hi mzzj,

care to share the project with us since the links you provided are dead.
i am working on something simmilar and i am curious how you have done the power stage and also the feedback loops.
mine (a simulation for the moment) goes up 6.8kw @ 2 R with 180Vdc single supply using fullbridge configuration.

regards,
savu

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.