UCD Based Fully Differential Full Bridge 450W RMS Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This thread is intended to be a take off of the "Development of a "reference" class D starting point" thread, for which all the background information of this project can be found at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36852

It is as complete as I care to make it, though I've included no by-passing on the driver power supplies, along with a few other minor changes which would be required for a real implementation of it.

In this first post I will include extensive simulation results, to be followed with a FFT done with 100mV input at 1Khz, then I'll provide the circuit schematic, both in the form of a bitmap or jpg, and the pspice *.DSN file.

I do not intend to produce a pcb design for this, so if anyone decides to make one, and gets it working well, please contribute.

All the simulations for which the results you are about to see, have been done with default pspice options, and being spice, obviously, need to be taken with a grain of salt, or two.

However, I'm very pleased with the results it shows. That's not to say it can't be improved on, and anyone who cares to is invited to contribute there as well.

Regards,
Chris

Attachments

• thdsimulationresults.txt
    6 KB · Views: 617
FFT done at 100mV 1Khz input ~8 watts peak output.

Attachments

• 100mv@1khzfft.jpg
    100mv@1khzfft.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3,347
Schematic in .bmp format.

A few notes here..

Note the 5K resistors used to bias the op amps. It was more of a proof of concept thing than anything else, it shows a worthy improvement in simulation, so I left them in. This schematic is exactly what produced the test results given in post #1.

The OPA627 ties to the positive rail, as the datasheet has a diagram of its internals I think it was the proper choice, simulation backs that up. As the OPA134 did not have such a schematic of its internals in the datasheet, it was biased to the negative rail through an educated guess, and what simulated best.

Being spice, since they're both tied to a perfect voltage source, it simulates a perfect current source. For a real implementation I'd change that to a cascode Jfet + bias resistor, which I think is the most robust way of doing it. There's alot of info out there on how to do it.

Also the IRF540 mosfets won't do. I'd recommend trying something like Fairchild's FDB3632 for it, as a starting point. It's a 100V 80A device with 0.009 Ohms Ron with Qg total of 84nC, should have a good charge ratio as well but I didn't check. They do provide a model of it, but from what I've experienced, they've tried to make the models so advanced that I've found it impossible to force them to converge.

Attachments

• schematic.zip
    48 KB · Views: 2,041
Hi,

If I saved it as a gif there'd be a loss of quality and the ability to zoom right in would be lost, which means no values would be seen.

Wasn't happy with the biasing schemes I had tried for the cascode, they weren't very elegant, and that seemed to work great, I hadn't realized it would cause the other transistor to saturate. Might look into a clamp circuit . Hmmm... two diodes might do it... but I need sleep. I'll give it more thought later.

Thanks for pointing that out,
Regards,
Chris

classd4sure said:
If I saved it as a gif there'd be a loss of quality and the ability to zoom right in would be lost, which means no values would be seen.

Wasn't happy with the biasing schemes I had tried for the cascode, they weren't very elegant, and that seemed to work great, I hadn't realized it would cause the other transistor to saturate. Might look into a clamp circuit .
Gifs are lossless. I wasn't talking about jpeg.

Simulation models generally fall apart in saturation. Circuits that simulate well may not even work at all in real life.

Bruno Putzeys said:

Gifs are lossless. I wasn't talking about jpeg.

Simulation models generally fall apart in saturation. Circuits that simulate well may not even work at all in real life.

I wasn't talking about jpg either.... it is 5AM though.

You're right of course, no quality is lost. I'm also wrong in that you can't zoom in with them, you can.

A problem with Gifs (and jpeg) I've encountered in the past is, while compressed very well, they sometimes wind up being too big, and further zipping them does nothing, or makes them bigger, so I just tried zipping the bmp first and it was a decent size.. out it went.

Anyway, back to business, I tried the two diode idea, elegant as I can think of..

DC COMPONENT = 7.427910E-04
TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION = 5.485285E-03 PERCENT

That's 500mV input at 20Khz, looks great but shoot through is through the roof now, those results are not comparable.

It needs to be re optimised, but not today.. kind of pointless doing it anyway since spice isn't very exact, I kind of view it as a good ballpark figure to start with in a real circuit, meaningless as it is.

Ah well, here's the change I made, should do the trick.

Regards,
Chris

PS:

The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 800 x 1200.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh :xeye:

Attachments

• revised.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,108
Bruno Putzeys said:
Hi,

Saving your schematic as 4-bit gif files is more practical than using zip...
4-bit PNG would be even better (smaller).

classd4sure said:
...A problem with Gifs (and jpeg) I've encountered in the past is, while compressed very well, they sometimes wind up being too big, and further zipping them does nothing, or makes them bigger, so I just tried zipping the bmp first and it was a decent size.. out it went...
Zipping GIFs and JPEGs doesn't do much because they are already compressed. In that case you don't have to zip them at all.

Better, but there is notthing that supresses common mode. It may not do any harm, but the opamps driving the diff stage may go into klipping. Then its a problem.
It may bee a god idea to start with a singel amp before you go for a balanced amp.
And the diff is near to transistors, not to exspensive to fix that 'problem'.

In spice all the components are equal, this is not so in real life as you say.

Konrad said:
Better, but there is notthing that supresses common mode. It may not do any harm, but the opamps driving the diff stage may go into klipping. Then its a problem.
It may bee a god idea to start with a singel amp before you go for a balanced amp.
And the diff is near to transistors, not to exspensive to fix that 'problem'.

In spice all the components are equal, this is not so in real life as you say.

Hi,

Nothing that suppresses common mode? Please elaborate, sounds interesting. There should be no common mode on the feedback signals. Other than that they're far from clipping. 1V differential input max, easily adjusted via the gain resistor in the input stage.

Parts were selected with +- 30 volt rails in mind, not 35 or 40. Parts selected are all that limits it from higher power.

Half bridge versions are in the other thread.

If you have any concrete improvements in mind please post them.

Regards,
Chris

The triggering point to the upper and lower halves can bee adjusted with somthing like this to improove common mode supression in the diff stage.

The emitters of Q3 and Q12 together to R3.
And emitters Q9 and Q4 connected to R4

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,852
This seems to work!

Basic circuit without classd4sure's input stage.

The input/controll-cuircuit shown by classd4sure would improove performance as open loop gain also in higher.

Abt the open loop gain have someone tried higher open loop gain?
I mean like replacing the resistors R121 and R122 with smal caps in Classd4sure's input stage ?

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.jpg
    untitled-1 copy.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,882
Hi Chris & Konrad,

Nicely done to both of you - a good starting point - and clever CM balance Konrad :)

Output stage needs a bit more work - to make it faster & hence reduce the switching losses (how about adding a EF buffer with say FMMT617 / 717) - you could also add feedforward from the buffered driver to reduce the effects of circuit capacitances in the level shifter section.

John

Hi,

In fact giving just a tiny bit more thought, you would only want to speed up Toff (PNP) so something with good Gain at high current like a FMMT717 / 718.

Ton (NPN) could be handled by a “limited” Current / Gain device – like BC something….

This would result in slower Ton times (nice "Soft" deadtime), and faster Toff times to compensate for Toff Delay.

With the extra EF stage you might also want to AC couple the output devices to swing the Gate to zero – or there about, this would reduce Enhancement voltage, but I would recommend 10V at Max – I normally only Enhance my output devices to about 9V – it’s a balance between RdsOn losses, and increased switching losses due to Toff Delay.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.