TPA3255 - all about DIY, Discussion, Design etc

That still seems a bit noisy; I don't remember hearing anything nearfield, albeit I run my MTM's at 16 ohms because I have too_much_gain -- do you have a CD player with volume control (or even your phone with a RCA to mic splitter cable) to test whether the noise persists?

I can hear a faint hiss in the tweeter on my test speakers (Accusound Floorstanders - so not great quality). At 1 metre distance it is quite, which matters most.

I got an opportunity to spend a few hours listening to the amp today. Its certainly got some power. The test speakers have never sounded this good, even with my old laptop as the player. I cannot wait to hook them up to my Paradigm floorstanders through my raspberry pi volumio DAC.

That still seems a bit noisy; I don't remember hearing anything nearfield, albeit I run my MTM's at 16 ohms because I have too_much_gain -- do you have a CD player with volume control (or even your phone with a RCA to mic splitter cable) to test whether the noise persists?

I have tried using my phone and the Marantz pre-out. The phone was slightly quieter but the hiss was still there. Also I mentioned previously that the hiss didn't change with the volume being adjusted but that is actually incorrect. It does increase as you turn up the volume on the preamp or phone. I also tried some monoprice shielded RCA and that did not seem to make a difference.

My hope is to try and re-route the cabling g today and use a nice power cord and put it in a more permanent home. I'm still searching for a nice case for it, but the height of the evm module is making that more challenging :) Also I'm having a hard time justifying the case cost since the amp was so inexpensive. I've been scavenging for old stereo chassis, PC cases, electrical enclosures etc. Still haven't found the perfect home.

Guys, I received my TPA3255EVM a month ago and hadn't time to assemble it, also I hadn't time to study user manual as well but I saw it could work as 4 channel amp.
So my question is:
Can I connect 4 different inputs from active crossover (Left Low, Left High, Right Low, Right High) and use this amp for all 4 speaker drivers?
Hope you'll understand my question..
Thanks..

Hansueli, sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn't buy any of them. TPA3255 is a really good chip. Both Bluetooth amplifiers you suggest state only to have Bluetooth version 2.1 implemented. That means, you may loose out on new streaming protocols that require a more recent version of Bluetooth (I am not an expert on Bluetooth).

I would buy a stand-alone TPA3255 amplifier and a separate Bluetooth receiver. Then, when the Bluetooth standard is once more updated (or replaced by something else), you just change the Bluetooth receiver and continue with the amplifier.

Last edited:
But one off them use CSR64215 which use apt. So could it be better?

I understand your surprise. Both amplifiers state "Bluetooth 2.1" or "2.1 Bluetooth". I checked the datasheet for CSR64215 and it states Bluetooth version 4.2 compliant.
Why then "2.1"? Perhaps because I misread the "2.1". It may relate to the three amplifier channels, not to the Bluetooth version.
My excuses.
On the rail capacitors, they indeed look very small for an amplifier with that power capacity.
I would still look for two separate units because you then can make sure both are top-performance.
NB: CSR64215 has a 16 bit DAC (datasheet), not 24 bit.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers. Is the normal TPA3255 Board much better? I want something cheap with good performance and onyl single suppy because off the powering with a lithiumpack.

Ps. rail capacitors looks like the the same size you can find on 1000W RMS Blurayhometheater system like Sony BDV-E4100 and co. XD

Last edited:
You want to power the TPA3255 from a lithium battery? What is the battery voltage and capacity?

My surprise to this new information relates to that you want to operate a stated 750W amplifier (2x300W+150W) from a battery!
To use a TPA3255 to near its full capacity, you normally need quite a solid net-feed power supply. A battery capable of supplying 48V and 17A is difficult to find.

Your idea of a portable Bluetooth amplifier is fully possible, but almost all those who have suggested such on this forum have been surprised when they were helped in calculating the battery specifications. Normally portable Bluetooth amplifiers end up being in the 10-50W range, not 750W.

You may not at all need a TPA3255 amplifier simply because your battery may not be able to supply energy near to what a TPA3255 requires to be used in full. Perhaps a TPA3116 amplifier is much more useful for your needs. We better keep the rail capacitor discussion for later.

Please try to describe your lithium pack (voltage, capacity and maximum discharge rate)?

Last edited:
i would get the YJ one.
manufacturers website: Yuan Jing Audio - TPA3255 Class-D 2.1 Stereo Amplifier [150W x 2] + Sub-Woofer [325W] + Audio Tuning + Bluetooth - USD $95.50

my fav board (proxy may be needed to view): TPA3255-2CH-260W | 3e Audio

I power mine off battery's:
I use this to power mine, for 8ohm speakers, but not enough power to get max power into 4ohm speakers:
Sure Electronics' webstore 500W BOOST Converter for CAR Audio - TL494

or there’s this, which i’ve not tried powering my amp with yet: DC10-60V 30A 1500W To 12-90V Boost Converter Step Up Power Supply Module Sale - Banggood.com

my progress updates: #tpa3255