Is TAS5611 a good choice in 2015?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a reasonably priced Class D stereo amplifier that would drive 8 ohm speakers with at least 50 watts per channel.

After lots of reading, I feel that TAS5611 would suit me just fine. However, before going any further, I wanted to double check with you guys to make sure that this is a good amp to buy in 2015 (i.e. not outdated, doesn't have too much hiss, etc.).

Thanks!

P.S. I am planning on buying this board: Assembled TAS5611 Digital Amplifier Board Class D 125W 125W | eBay

Last edited:
nice find!
i didn't see any board from china using that chip.
i'll give it a try.
there is a newer line/family of chips from TI.
but not yet implemented on china boards.

edit:
found it on aliexpress a little bit cheaper:

TAS5611 Digital Amplifier Board 125W+125W Large Power Board TAS5611 OPA1632DR-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please tell me what are those newer TI chips? TAS5612, TAS5613 and TAS5614?

If all you need is 50w maybe a TPA3116D2 can work (really 40w with 0.1% THd). Or TDA7498 at 100w? Or IRS2092 at 200w for $19? The power supplies will cost more than the amp but the IRS is very low distortion. It won't even break a sweat at 50w.

Thank you for the reply. I've heard good things about TPA3116D2, but, as you said, it does not provide 50W per channel. TDA7498 and IRS2092 look interesting. Thank you for suggesting those chips.

tas5611 looks like another option to get max power out of single supply dc.
i would like to see it a little bit more evaluated before pointing towards other amps.
on paper it looks good for battery driven party machinery.

Yeah, I like the fact that TAS5611 needs only one 32v power supply.

I wish this chip was more popular though. I've spent days reading about the latest class D amplifiers, and there are barely any reviews for TAS5611.

I'm not 100% sure about the power supply.
The print on the pcb says 48V.
The datasheet claims 34V as max voltage and 16V as min voltage (PVDD).
The circuit needs another 12V (GVDD / VDD) and 3.3V (VREG).
Those should be created onboard in this case.
Right next to the inductor and the LED i see a 15V voltage regulator...most likely VDD is created there.
A tiny 3.3V regulator (AMS1117) might be hidden under the heatsink.
All in all i think it should work with 20V.

Why should a OPA1632DR audio opamp be onboard?
Are the preamplifying the signal / getting control of input impedance?
Or are they even transforming into a differential signal to get rid of common mode noise?

you should consider the black tda7498 board (about 10€ shipped atm).
imo the best price/performance ratio atm.

my guess is that you won't regret the 5611.

ti has some newer chips with crazy features.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5768m.pdf

Thanks for the advice. I ended up purchasing TAS5611 and TDA7498 boards.

That TI chip looks nice. I wish it was more powerful though.

The TAS5768 looks perfect as a foundation for a 2-way active speaker with XO and EQ built in for a self powered 2-way active XO, bi-amped studio monitor.

JBL did something like this for the LSR305 monitors but were using STM smart amp.

look at the datasheets, evm manual and the software manual:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5754m.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5756m.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau583/slau583.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau577a/slau577a.pdf

those things look like the solution of all our problems.
how cool would 4 channel board be....

when they arrived please report how they sound and compare.
can't wait for my 5611 to arrive....

Absolutely. I've already received TAS5611 and the power supply for it, but didn't have the time to test the amplifier yet.

I did test the power supply (100 240VAC Input 32V 6A Output Switching Power Supply Adapter 200W for TDA7498 | eBay) and it turned out to be a dud. It is supposed to supply 6A at 32V, but the best it can do is 3A at 26V. Increasing the load to 4A results in the power supply being shut down. $25 down the drain :)

does the 5611 not work with the 26v psu?
according to the ds the half bridge supply can be as low as 16v.

I am sure it will work halfway decent with a 26V power supply. I'd just rather use a higher quality power supply that can constantly supply 32V regardless of the load than a flaky PSU that supplies 32V at light load (0.5A), 26V at medium load (3A), and completely shuts down at high load :headbash:

i recieved my 5611.
it is a very promising amp.

first impressions are

a good overall sq,

the more analytic output than TDA7498
(which first made think the 7498 would play deeper bass, but it isn't like that, it is some 'coloration' of the 7498)

and the power of the output
(big advantage over TPA3116 from same supply into same load, and looks like it is more powerful (less distorted at high spl) into 8 Ohm speakers than 7498, but that is exactly what i'm going to examine).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.