Is TAS5611 a good choice in 2015?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm still sure that this board is a very good choice for its price.
I like the wide range of possible input voltages.
The board is used in a mobile system, so carrying around as less as possible sla batteries is really good.
The board provides lots of power.
Even from only 20V it pushes a 10" woofer on one channel and a tweeter horn on the other channel pretty hard.
Imo higher volumes with lesser distortion are possible compared to the black 7498.
The TAS5611 took the outdoor sessions from the last few weekends incredibly well.
It didn't even get warm when playing the woofer at its max for hours.
I really recommend this amp to everybody who is searching a cheap class d amp ( no matter if it is really used in a setup or just as a new contender in the collection of china amps....)

I like the 5611 so much that i will most likely buy the pbtl 5630 in the aliexpress-sale tomorrow:
TAS5630 Subwoofer 600W D Type OPA1632DR TL072 Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
The price is awesome and the board looks to have some nice features.

I still recommend that dark blue board from yuanjing,
It is well build and doesn't distort too heavy at high output levels compared to the TPA3116, TDA8932, TDA7492 and TDA7498.
That may be because of the high power rating of the chip itself or because of the board and parts on it.
The inductors used on that 5611-board may play a major role.
The board does definitely not sound worse than any of the chinese 3116 boards (i'm sure some of the designs of the engineers in this forum are much better).
If i could keep only one of the chi-fi boards i own, it would be this board.

Hi, my friend is going to use this amp for his 2 home speakers 8Ohm. Thanks for the reviews. But I had some trouble finding a power supply, as the chip can't handle more than 34V. I found this one

400W 36V 11A Single Output Switching Power Supply AC to DC SMPS | eBay

You can adjust the output voltage down to 32.4. It's the first time I'm buying something like this, I guess I wanted a double check :p.

Hi guys.

I'm a newbie here, I'm looking for your advice about TAS5611+OPA1632DR.

First, the background info:

I have the Topping TP30MarkII (2x20W Amp with ADC) and I'm going to use it to build a boombox.
The problem is, the sound is very good when I connect my phone (supports OTG) and PC through USB ADC but when I connect those through the RCA inputs, not just only dynamic is gone but also the sound level is much lower.

I understand about differences of sound dynamic with these connections. But lower sound level is not acceptable for me.

My question is "Do I need a pre-amp if I want to connect them through RCA input?"

If your answer is yes, I think I better buy a new amp and let the TP30 become the desktop amp, right?

If I buy a new amp boar, my choice would be this:
TAS5611 Digital Amplifier Board 125W+125W Large Power Board TAS5611 OPA1632DR-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Because I'm going to use the TAS5611 amp for Sony XS-FB1630 (45 Watts 4 ohm speaker) I think 32V-80W SMPS is sufficient (I won't use to max output).

Heres' the power supply:
32V 80W AC/DC switch power supply driver full range EU&US centralized power supply -in Switching Power Supply from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Now another question:
Do your recommend this configuration?
Do you have another suggestion?
Thanks for your advice and suggestion.

What is your phone? It's DAC might not be up to par compared to the Topping.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
The DAC is in the TP30 power amp.
My phones, none of them have DAC but Lenovo A700Plus supports USB OTG.

If I connect the phone/PC to TP30 with Earphone-RCA cables, the sound output lost dynamic and also has lower power compare to DAC USB connection.

topping%20tp30mk2-13(1).jpg

Yes, well if you connect your phone or pc through RCA, that it will be up to DAC inside those devices to convert digital signal (1s and 0s) to analogue (voltage). All devices that has an audio jack will have a built in DAC. It just may not be as good as the one in the Topping if the source device is cheap.

A pre-amp would help, I am not sure about the dynamics, but definitely the volume. But an amp is only as good as its source.

In regards with the other option. I agree that the topping would be a waste if used with a pre-amp cause the ADC would be no use. However, I would look into getting a good TPA3116 or TPA3118 board if you are going with that route. You can use a lower costing >24V power supply instead of a 32V. The TAS5611 would be a bit much to use on your speakers.

A general consensus right now is that these have pretty good sound quality. But be aware that you have to deal with cheap components from a chinese board compared to a semi-reputable manufacturer like Topping.

Last edited:
Yes, well if you connect your phone or pc through RCA, that it will be up to DAC inside those devices to convert digital signal (1s and 0s) to analogue (voltage). All devices that has an audio jack will have a built in DAC. It just may not be as good as the one in the Topping if the source device is cheap.

A pre-amp would help, I am not sure about the dynamics, but definitely the volume. But an amp is only as good as its source.

I forgot the most basic thing about on board DAC on phone and PC. Now I know what you meant. Thanks for reminding me:D Yes, I guess those built in DAC on phone and PC are nothing compare to Topping.

I guess if I wanna build a boombox, I have to forget this Topping. I better purchase TAS5611+OPA1632DR power amp then. Hope the pre-amp on the board makes difference. The main reason I choose this TAS5611 because it has OPA1632DR op-amp which famous for superior sound quality and ultra low distortion.

Thanks Trashcanz!

In regards with the other option. I agree that the topping would be a waste if used with a pre-amp cause the ADC would be no use. However, I would look into getting a good TPA3116 or TPA3118 board if you are going with that route. You can use a lower costing >24V power supply instead of a 32V. The TAS5611 would be a bit much to use on your speakers.

A general consensus right now is that these have pretty good sound quality. But be aware that you have to deal with cheap components from a chinese board compared to a semi-reputable manufacturer like Topping.

I did some research on chips' datasheet (TI, Philips etc) but was still confused about their implementation from Chinese board. Previously, my purchase was almost based on user's review on Aliexpress.

Now, I have some direction to follow. I'll dig more info about other chips and power supply selection in this forum.

Once again, thanks.

I know my friend wants to play it loud, so I wanted to give him a 32V power supply.

@RayAkmal, I would go for a power supply that can deliver more ampere. 2.5A is too little for this amp.

Alternatives:
300W 12.5A 24V Adjustable SMPS $25.4
160 W 5A 0-30V-32V Adjustable DC Switching Power supply S54.00
Which one do you think is more suitable for TI - TAS5611?

Looking at the datasheet, the power output will be limited when the power input is at 24V. Looking at this, looking at other TI amplifiers would be the best choice in my opinion. I do not know what power output you will need for your boombox. What speakers are you using?

It seems better/comparable performance can be achieved with a 3118/3116 pbtl vs a tas5611 (at 24V input voltage)

Amp boards and power supplies are smaller and cheaper with the TPA chips.

Unless I am completely overlooking the merits and advantages of this TAS5611 chip, I would go for two of the 3118pbtl chip I previously linked. Pair that with this power supply that forum member Jensen mentioned and tested, you can have a good power output in a small package. The amp boards are the size of a postage stamp and the power supply is about 1.5 x the size of a credit card. Either way, tpa or tas would be from chinese manufactures.

TPA3118 PBTL 60W Mono Digital Audio Power Amplifier Board Module DC 8 24V T8L9 | eBay

AC Converter 110V 220V to 24V Max 9A 150W Regulated Transformer LED Power Suppl | eBay

That being said, you do not need high output power to achieve high SPL. This thread will be useful for building a boombox: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine.html

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    170 KB · Views: 245
Looking at the datasheet, the power output will be limited when the power input is at 24V. Looking at this, looking at other TI amplifiers would be the best choice in my opinion. I do not know what power output you will need for your boombox. What speakers are you using?

It seems better/comparable performance can be achieved with a 3118/3116 pbtl vs a tas5611 (at 24V input voltage)

Amp boards and power supplies are smaller and cheaper with the TPA chips.

Unless I am completely overlooking the merits and advantages of this TAS5611 chip, I would go for two of the 3118pbtl chip I previously linked. Pair that with this power supply that forum member Jensen mentioned and tested, you can have a good power output in a small package. The amp boards are the size of a postage stamp and the power supply is about 1.5 x the size of a credit card. Either way, tpa or tas would be from chinese manufactures.

TPA3118 PBTL 60W Mono Digital Audio Power Amplifier Board Module DC 8 24V T8L9 | eBay

AC Converter 110V 220V to 24V Max 9A 150W Regulated Transformer LED Power Suppl | eBay

That being said, you do not need high output power to achieve high SPL. This thread will be useful for building a boombox: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/104402-boominator-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine.html

It will drives 2 x 6.5" Sony XS-FB1630 (45 W 4 Ohm) speakers.

TPA3118 you recommend is also my choice. Unfortunately some costumers who bought this board reported apparent hiss/hum emanating from speakers. I'm still eyeing the TPA3118 but until I have find the answer to this potential problem, I lean more toward TAS5611.

I appreciated your detailed explanation and suggestion. It really helps. Thanks.

Last edited:
Now regarding TAS5611, I've been comparing several boards.
TAS5611 TripathFan Assembled TAS5611 Digital Amplifier Board Class D 125W 125W | eBay
TAS5611 Buehgemeiste TAS5611 Digital Amplifier Board 125W+125W Large Power Board TAS5611 OPA1632DR-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
TAS5630 TAS5630 2.1 Digital Amplifier Board 300W+150W+150W-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Question arise why these TAS5611 boards only utilize 2 x 1000 uF capacitors while most TAS5630 boards (also from china) utilizes 4 x 1000 uF capacitors.
According to the datasheet, bets practice used for the TAS56xx family is 4x1000 uF (Those caps are for C64, C65, C66, C67, but I don't know which caps are removed from this TAS5611 china board).

Do you guys think this TAS5611 is still a good board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.