TPA3116D2 Amp - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2013, 07:32 PM   #621
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Snow wow, cool, what I expect for where you are. I am spoiled, if you want to call it that, or SOL for amount of snow, in southern onatario, that and our bunny hills :-) maybe by xmas I'll see a sled go by, 4-wheels til then.
I/we can help you adapt a docking station, sounds like a simple voltage regulator. will do the trick 10-28V(for TPA31xx) to 5V (LM317) to docking station. Send me a PM, if you want details/help. No need to talk OT further on this thread.
1/8" plug-RCA, you mean 1/4" or 1/8" phone plug i think?:-) same diff
Cheers
Rick
Old 14th November 2013, 09:25 AM   #622
danzz is offline danzz  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mravlca View Post
Great so see somebody decided to make his own PCB, nice job I must say.
A few comments though, how come you didn't use better input caps and better output caps, by better I mean some foils caps? I found that this improves sound a bit, at least that's what happened on my TPA3106D1 amplifier.

Best Regards,
Ales

p.s. If you have extra PCB let me know, want to try one.
Well, I didnt use any foils cap as I sticked my design to fit in a 50mmx50mm board and the easiest way was to use smd components, but all the components used are the ones used in the EVM board from TI. I will try to make some time this weekend to try to populate the board and try it...

About spare boards yes, I have a couple... I can send you one for free, with the condition that you make a little donation to the diyaudio forum, no matter what amount, what ever you can. If I do this is because all I learnt was here in this forum, I enjoyed using my spare time learning to use Eagle and how to design a pcb, so I wont charge for that, but I want to aport my two cents to the forum, and I believe that the best way to thank to all the members that are always giving a hand here its trying to keep this forum alive, and to thank to all the members that have design something and post it for free for us.
Old 14th November 2013, 01:24 PM   #623
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well done danzz.
I used SMT i/p coupling caps as well but used 1210/50V/X7R type. We now MLC SMT caps are not the best to use, but using a larger voltage caps can reduce these V modulation effects. Stll these effects are less than the THD of the TPA31xx parts.
Maybe one day I'll do a THD and listening test to see if a film cap makes any noticeable difference, but i doubt it. Hope your assembly testing goes well. Pls post a pic when completed and give your impressions. I found driving 4 ohm speakers is the best for these parts.
Cheers
Rick
Old 15th November 2013, 04:49 PM   #624
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

Great thread...I appreciate it when folks with more information and experience than myself share their knowledge...coneheads/boneheads, like myself, appreciate it!
Based on what I have gleaned thus far...I want some low-freq support for another system I am building...however, the chinese, YJ 2.1 board, as presently offered, apparently doesn't offer a good "sub out". I plan to bi-amp using two YJ 2.0 boards....the split source will play full-range to one board, where it will drive my TABAQ's (or yet to be built, micro-fonkens), and the other board will receive an FMOD, low-passed, input, which will drive a small, 6" tapped-horn. Not sure, but I am thinking either a 70hz or 100hz FMOD filter...will probably try both. This combination should make a very nice desktop or bedroom system. I still need to better understand how to feed both channels to the Sub (or have two subs : ^) If I understand properly, the left/right outputs cannot be combined, correct?
Old 15th November 2013, 07:00 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plund View Post
...and the other board will receive an FMOD, low-passed, input, which will drive a small, 6" tapped-horn. Not sure, but I am thinking either a 70hz or 100hz FMOD filter...will probably try both.
Is this something similar to a passive line-level crossover - or PLLXO?

LINK

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 15th November 2013, 07:07 PM   #626
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzz View Post
I just picked up my boards from the postman, I hope I can try them soon... And see if my design works well... Its my first pcb layout design... I hope it works well!!!...

As I said... Once I try it, if it works fine, I will upload the whole project info... Included a boom list, Eagle files and gerbers.

Hi as Ales said it would be better to use good film caps at the spots that they matter like at the inputs and at the outputs. It does make a difference to use good quality film caps, even MKT/MKS already sound better there. IMO the board looks nice but it needs 4 mounting holes at the corners to fix it to a chassis/case. Don't connect the mounting holes to GND.

I would not use the mounting hole near the chip. You might crack the soldering when tightening the screw which puts some tension on the PCB.

Last edited by jean-paul; 15th November 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:40 PM   #627
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

Kyle, Yes, an FMOD is passive. I've never owned/used one before, but have heard positive comments from those that have used them.
From Harrison Labs website
"WHAT IS AN FMODtm ?
THE FMOD IS AN ACTIVE CROSSOVER SIMULATOR. IT IS BETTER THAN A MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE ELECTRONIC CROSSOVER THAT REQUIRES POWER TO OPERATE."

Old 16th November 2013, 01:25 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

A new tpa3116 board.

Does it look better then the ebay 2.1 board?

全新 TPA3116D2 2.1 大功率 HIFI数字功放板 成品板-淘宝网

Could change sub crossover from 80-500hz on this board.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:15 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

I noticed that there is also a new YJ 2.0 board with an LM1036 tone circuit.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:42 PM   #630
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Plund,
You can use a dual voice coil 6 in sub driver with 4 ohms per coil. Wire outputs of both channels, one into each coil. Otherwise you will need an op amp summing junction - which could just be part of your line level XO. Then mod the board to be bridged mono - I think Dug indicated how to mod that in previous post.

Hide this!Advertise here!