TPA3116D2 Amp

A mistake for sure,now that I really look hard at it.
It should be the same as in fig Figure 29. MUTE Driven by Inverted FAULTZ
TPA3116/18/30 DS
SLOS708C –APRIL 2012–REVISED NOVEMBER 2013
base of npn bjt should be connected through 100K to the faultz pin, not directly to gvdd, using 100K
Mute needs 100K pullup to gvdd as well
The 2 100k in parallel was what made it obvious, why is that I thought?
Also,
SLOS841A –SEPTEMBER 2013–REVISED NOVEMBER 2013
Look at Figure 19. Typical Application Schematic, what's with a 3R3 pull down on the mute pin, what are you using to drive that? (3.3x3.3)/3.3 = yes a min of a 3.3W(5W) R :) wow. R is not even close to K on the keyboard. You have to make some sense out of what you read/see :)
Maybe more, i'd have to look further.

Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
The mistake is in the TPA3116 datasheet figure 29.

GVDD should only be connected to GAIN and PLIMT pins through resistor dividers. As per the terminal function description.
MUTE should be pulled up to the AVDD (effectively PVDD which in turn is effectively the FAULTZ) as per the terminal description.

To me it just looks like they corrected the mistakes from the TPA3116 datasheet in the TPA3132 datasheet.

Also note the small difference that the negative inputs are now towards eachother which means you can make a simpler board layout without having to cross the inputs. All in all, the TPA3132 pin layout is a lot more thought through than the TPA3116.

Last edited:
:)
TPA3116 datasheet figure 29.
Not really a mistake, but a different and maybe not the recommended method, that is why they chose weak pullups of 100k. TI is kinda contradicting themselves.
I agree reference, mute to pvcc and not gvcc. There may not be enough drive for the bjt in order to pull mute below Vil(max) 0.8V
Mute can be referenced to either gvdd or avcc/pvcc
faultz is open drain.
The evm's got it right, as that is what I am following.
I found the TPA3118/16 easier to layout than the TPA3100.
3132 has same bond out, except it is in quad rather than dip.
I also noticed no modesel pin/feature
I also found
ICE Components Fixed Inductors | Mouser
on my search for parts, so selected
911-1D14A-100M
So I will use them as an alternate to the SMT footprint.

... the 3116 requires heatsink and that limits optimum board design quite a lot more than you'd think as you don't get the very large grounding pad that is the thermal pad on the 3118. And since optimum grounding is pretty much the most crucial aspect about any class D board design that's a big negative.

3116 top pad is larger than the 3118 bottom pad.

Added heat sink on top pad (IMHO) can be made to dissipate more power than PCB. (And draws heat away from board mounted components.)

From the data sheet:

"...The TPA3118D2 can
even run 2x30W/8Ω without heat sink on a dual layer PCB.
If even higher power is needed the TPA3116D2 does 2x50W/4Ω with a small heat-sink attached to its top side PowerPad..."

Just sayin.

I agree DUG, it is all in the THERMAL INFORMATION table

The pcb can function for both packages, however the top thermal slug is the better performer in the reference layout info. They did not intend the user to use special pcb construction, so thus the special DAD pkg
You can only get so much heat away from a bottom slug unless you use special pcb materials. Power led's for example req special metal clad pcb construction, so that they can transfer the heat efficiently using the vias, through thin/special insulation onto a solid copper plane.

Consider designing the pcb for the solder pads for a 3118 and heat sink mounting holes for the 3116.
yes, I have done, either try to get the recommended HS or cheaper method, Al strap coupled to Hammond 1455J1201 or 1455K1201 case,

Attachments

• TPA311X-2_0-A0-8.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Or be crazy like me and flip the 3118 upside down and solder a copper pipe ring as a heatsink to the bottom, now up :)

Seriously, most of the time you don't need a heatsink even. On the 3116 it only got hot when I ran 120 Hz test tones at -8dB on the input. It was drawing probably 75 watts into 4 ohms. Then the heatsink actually got too hot to touch. But it did not shutdown.

Gentlemen,

Just curious, does anyone has any preliminary comments on the green PBTL mono board (from Audiobah at EB) ?

Regards,

I am interested in comments on this board as well. I sent a message to the eBay seller about future availability of the boards, and this was his response:
Due to the Chinese new year we will be unable to ship orders from Jan-18 to Jan-25-14. Even after that period orders will suffer a little delay in shipment due to the acumulation of pending shipments. I am sorry about this situation but it is out of my control.

Regards,
Konzen

- audiobah

I am interested in comments on this board as well. I sent a message to the eBay seller about future availability of the boards, and this was his response:
Due to the Chinese new year we will be unable to ship orders from Jan-18 to Jan-25-14. Even after that period orders will suffer a little delay in shipment due to the acumulation of pending shipments. I am sorry about this situation but it is out of my control.

Regards,
Konzen

- audiobah

Knozen,

Yeah, the Chinese New Year is coming up (Jan 31). The whole country's business will be pretty much such down for the next 3-4 weeks. Things should be back to normal around the second week of February.

Regards,

Regards,
Konzen

- audiobah

I finally got my board. I set it up for stereo not mono. I don't know, I think I prefer the YJ stock. It's hard for me to see the values of the components used to compare cause the SMDs are so small. I am going to try replacing the boostrap and some other values with X7R ceramic as recommended by Saturnus and see how that goes. Unfortunately the air is so dry here now in Los Angeles that I think I zapped my YJ board (living room is carpeted) with static electricity and now I get a loud hum from it. :(

I think we should just lobby Saturnus to design a board with the alternate modulation and good layout and have a group buy and be done with it :D

The TPA. Difference between the two is about more than the PS. The TPA is just better, period.

I have been playing a stock Sure TPA3110 for the last 2 weeks with the Parts Express 12v YJSO5-1205000D dead silent power supply and I am amazed how nice this little Amp sounds. I don't understand why anyone would buy one of those foul sounding obsolete Tripath chip Amps. Pay no attention to the small 8 watt power rating, this unit really rocks. BTW, what are the best Panasonic Caps to replace the 220 uF units in the power supply ?