TPA3116D2 Amp

I suppose the principal advantage of PBTL is the increased current capacity which may have an effect also when driving higher impedance loads although it's difficult to answer that concisely.
No suppose, this is exactly the reason why.
It is quite possible to be a better performing amp, if you run in PBTL mode only, using 2 chips for stereo. I can think of reduced inductor saturation and IR losses. I can not think of any disadvantages, other than cost.
Possible EMI advantages but testing is required to figure this out.
It still amazes me that this is all delivered through those tiny 0.2mm leads = I'd like to see a picture of the die, lead frame attachment process that they figured out. The TPA3110D2 uses 2 pins per o/p, so when I saw this, I thought WTF, are they up too, I would have thought more pins are required. Where is the TI packaging EE when you want him :)
HTSSOP is a nicer pcb to layout than the HTQFP pkg is.

Double the quiescent current for the same power output on a given impedance is a dramatically reduction of efficiency.
Yes, oops, overlooked that one, at a little less than 1W at 24V of quiescent PD.
I guess what I wondered was if there are some hypothetically sonic advantages of the green PBTL board, as compared to the cheapest 2.0 YJ ones, using "regular 8 ohm 86-92db/W speakers".
I certainly can not say without reviewing /analyzing the design specifics, which means having them in hand and testing them. There are a few factors involved, parts, layout etc which can and usually do play a roll to some degree or another. How much is always open for opinions apart from actual measurements, which do not always tell the whole story anyways.

Alright, my friends two green tpa3116 boards from audiobah arrived and I went to his home to set it up.

I did a briefly listening and I have thet impression that this board sounds more detailed wtih a deeper bass. I didn't had the time to take photos or measure anything as I am very busy with barbecue and new year things.
I may change my impressions I have more listening time and specially when the boards I have ordered arrive. Right now I can say this board is powerfull, well build and you have these bridges to switch between BTL and PBTL.

Thanks everyone for bringing the TPA3116 to light and I wish you all
a very Happy new year !

Ps: My friend just called me saying that he is blown off by the quality of the sound from such a tiny, inexpensive board. That's a nice compliment since he is a kind of high end guy.

Ps: My friend just called me saying that he is blown off by the quality of the sound from such a tiny, inexpensive board. That's a nice compliment since he is a kind of high end guy.
And your test Power Supply is?
It is always a pleasure to hear about converts and from people who are skeptical about SQ. It is almost mythical. It is certainly hi-fi none the less.
It really comes down to,
crappy speakers = crappy sound
good speakers = good sound
$20 amp and $2000 speakers or somewhere in between :) = Sounds great, even a FM radio station 100km away.
Enjoy your BBQ, It is -10C here, no BBQ for me, although a great idea, I must save the propane for heat. Talked to my bro he has -30C, enough work just to keep warm and he heats with hardwood.
Ever tried BBQ turkey legs? = one of my favourites.

Happy new year and enjoy TI Class "D" technology!!

My friend brought over his recently acquired Breeze 2.1 amp using a pair of TPA3116D2.

We've been listening to it as a 2.0 for a few hours and will hook it up 2.1 shortly and let it cook for a day or two before comparing it to my modified 3116 amps.

Attachments

• Breeze3116-07.jpg
    Breeze3116-07.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,250
  • Breeze3116-05.jpg
    Breeze3116-05.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Breeze3116-08.jpg
    Breeze3116-08.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Breeze3116-06.jpg
    Breeze3116-06.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Breeze3116-02.jpg
    Breeze3116-02.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,184
Alright, my friends two green tpa3116 boards from audiobah arrived and I went to his home to set it up.

I did a briefly listening and I have thet impression that this board sounds more detailed wtih a deeper bass. I didn't had the time to take photos or measure anything as I am very busy with barbecue and new year things.
I may change my impressions I have more listening time and specially when the boards I have ordered arrive. Right now I can say this board is powerfull, well build and you have these bridges to switch between BTL and PBTL.

Thanks everyone for bringing the TPA3116 to light and I wish you all
a very Happy new year !

Thank you for the feedback! It is good to hear that your friend like it!!

By the way, was the board wired in stereo/mono when you received them?

Regards,

My friend brought over his recently acquired Breeze 2.1 amp using a pair of TPA3116D2.

We've been listening to it as a 2.0 for a few hours and will hook it up 2.1 shortly and let it cook for a day or two before comparing it to my modified 3116 amps.

KJA,

The Breeze amp is a very good looking package. Definitely looks different from your amps ;) - your "bamboo chop board" series have more character though :p

Happy New Year!!

Regards

Happy New Year everyone! Yes it's rather warm in Russia last years but currently I'm in Texas visiting parents, that's really one Warm New Year for me.

Please someone write the name of green board seller as ebay most times does not show item listings from external links.

+100 for enclosed 2.0

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone! Yes it's rather warm in Russia last years but currently I'm in Texas visiting parents, that's really one Warm New Year for me.

Please someone write the name of green board seller as ebay most times does not show item listings from external links.

+100 for enclosed 2.0

Assuming you are talking about the pbtl green board. The seller's name is "audiobah".

I just searched ebay with the following search term and the green board pops up as the first item.

"tpa3116 pbtl"

That is very cool KJA. I'll eagerly look forward to your comments. My Breeze unit just arrived in the post today. Damn this thing is small (about half the size of the already petite Dayton DTA-1. Seems nice and solid tho. Just to be clear, the Breeze does NOT have tone controls. The controls from left to right are; vol for stereo channels, sub xover from 40Hz - 500Hz, and vol control for the sub. This makes it different from the other finished units that do have tone controls. Haven't gotten a power supply for mine yet but that will be a treat for the new year.

Just to be clear, the Breeze does NOT have tone controls. The controls from left to right are; vol for stereo channels, sub xover from 40Hz - 500Hz, and vol control for the sub. This makes it different from the other finished units that do have tone controls.

That's true.... and this arrangement seems to work quite well too.
One odd thing I noticed is that the blue power LED is always on...even when the unit is turned off... I'll have to see why that is when I open it up.

Oh, and of course the left and right channel assignments are reversed. It seems like many of these overseas manufacturers just guess at it and are content with the 50/50 odds of getting it correct... so remember to swap your left and right "SPERKERS" when hooking them up. ;)

Attachments

• Sperkers.jpg
    Sperkers.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 480
Before you power up your Breeze TPA3116 Mini Amp….

Before you power up your Breeze TPA3116 Mini Amp….

You may want to take 2 minutes to remove the topcover and look inside.

I opened her up and the first thing I noticed was that there was no heatsink on one of the chips. This didn’t bother me because I know these devices don’t get very hot and they have thermal protection built in…. but, what DID bother me was when I found the heatsink attached to the inside of the aluminum top-cover. Lucky for me the adhesive was strong enough to stick to the top cover.
Chances are you won’t hear the heatsink rattling around inside the unit since it will probably stick to something inside, but you might not be as lucky and it could be shorting something. I highly recommend that you be proactive and make sure everything is right before you power it up. You need only a #2 Phillips Screwdriver, a 2.5mm Hex Driver and a couple of minutes.

and oh yeah... Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Heatsink Issue 01.jpg
    Heatsink Issue 01.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 956
  • Heatsink Issue 02.jpg
    Heatsink Issue 02.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 957
Last edited: