TPA3116D2 Amp

This is TPA3132D2, similar to 3116/18 in qfn package. Yes, VCC trace underneath.

Yep. Found the data sheet for it not long before you replied while looking at something else.

As I said, looking at a few different layouts, so this one also good for comparison/inspiration towards the VCC trace routing.

I have trialed my two two HSDZ boards in Verticle bi-amp arrangement using separate pllxos' into each amp as balanced input.
1channel up to lf into full range driver the other hf into 1" tweeter, crossing over about 5khz. Sounded very good compared to relying on the 2way crossover after amp, even driving through a headphone socket of smartphone!!

Only thing I have trialed as yet is adjusting the inductors/output filters to match the drivers, as full range is more 6ohm while tweeter is 8ohm. I am presuming the IC shouldn't see any problems if 1 channel has different output of filter to the other channel, just need to match the cut off frequencies.
Might even use 2 parallel ceramics in the lc filter implementation....been reading a very informative piece on ripple of the various capacitor types, and implementation in various scenarios. Although ceramics least ripple its still present, and in lc filter the 2 parallel is reported to be of benefit to smooth out!

lol.... I initially intended to keep things as simple as the hdz boards, but circuits growing :eek:

No more mods now :rolleyes:

Well, long story short, seller agreed for full refund. Now I have question, can anyone recommend good quality amplifier board based on this chip, or any other, with guaranteed 50W into 4 ohm load and single ended power supply?

I recently got this TDA7498E, rated 160W per channel... enough ooomph for you? :)

Sounds pretty good too!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/275505-tda7492-amp-15.html#post4384236

If you're looking for a board alone, I'm sure there are nice ones based on that 7498E around by now... just get a matching power supply, and you're good to go.

Well, long story short, seller agreed for full refund. Now I have question, can anyone recommend good quality amplifier board based on this chip, or any other, with guaranteed 50W into 4 ohm load and single ended power supply?

The Sure TPA 3116 boards are pretty nice sounding with the capacitors changed out.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=25SEPF330Mvirtualkey66720000virtualkey667-25SEPF330M

I have a pair of their mono blocks and like them.

Sure Electronics' webstore 1 X 100Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Board -TPA3116

They also have a stereo option.

Sure Electronics' webstore 2 x 50 Watt 4 Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board ? TPA3116

I paired them with a Meanwell Switching supply.
LRS-200-24 Mean Well | Mouser

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

I got same amps fro Aliexpress for $11 and they rock! Hooked them up to my 98dB WMTMW system last night, can't take the volume past 10 o'clock. Clean sounding and gobs of reserves. Nice amps.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/277691-s-harsch-xo.html

494160d1437200618-filler-driver-ala-b-o-gen2-beta12cx-5mr450ndy-d280ti-front-photo.png

495708d1437975878-s-harsch-xo-harsch-3-way-xo.png'

495709d1437975878-s-harsch-xo-harsch-3-way-ir.png

Quasi-transient perfect Step Response from 4th order XO:
495710d1437975878-s-harsch-xo-harsch-3-way-sr.png

I got same amps fro Aliexpress for $11 and they rock! Hooked them up to my 98dB WMTMW system last night, can't take the volume past 10 o'clock. Clean sounding and gobs of reserves. Nice amps.

http://

Yes power would be same as 3116 with PSU's you are using, you just need to reduce gain to get usable volumecontrol again. For 3116 that reduces distortion a little, for tda7498 it should not...however, for AD modulation the 7498 chinese boards have funny output

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am actually using 24v smps for the woofers. Gain must be higher as you say but these amps are not clipping as early as 3116. I used 3116's in same setup and they started clipping at volume levels not nearly as high. By clipping, I mean it drops out into protect mode for a fraction of a second when a high transient peak hits. That doesn't happen on this amp and at much higher volume.

Overcurrent protection is further/higher than STM chips, besides you can bake egg on STM heatsink befor overcurrent is reached and befor that output collapses (STM really poor on low impedance load), so overcurrent is unlikely for same load. Overtemp also unlikely imo, remains overvoltage, 24V smps ? probably higher voltage then??? Or bad part, but then it isn't protection tripping.

Can someone comment about following:
I have built folded box TABAQ speakers. My drivers are Aucharm Neo 4".

Have seen some talking that part of these TPA3116 amps are more suitable for 8 ohm drivers and some for 4 ohms. My drivers are 4 ohms.

So, is it wise to buy "blue" board which is said to suit for 8 ohm and change inductors to value that work with 4 ohm drivers? But which inductors and do i need also change other parts such as caps?
If there is ready built devices boxed, which cope well with Aucharm 4ohm, please enlight me :O)

Wiki is just to confuse you, blueboard is for soldering fun. ~10 ohm Aucharm, that is lowish, wonder if impedance graph is accurate or chinese, no Le value with data... 22uH/680nF would be most common standard 8 ohm filter, so that isn't Blueboard, green YJcopy of ac1308/audiobah does have those values standard, ac1308/audiobah itself hasn't. YbdZ wiener from china also has those values, Smakn (amazon) too. Double chip redboard has 33uH/1uF 8ohm filter, bit low Fc and maybe like Blueboard some questionmarks regarding build.

Wiki is just to confuse you, blueboard is for soldering fun. ~10 ohm Aucharm, that is lowish, wonder if impedance graph is accurate or chinese, no Le value with data... 22uH/680nF would be most common standard 8 ohm filter, so that isn't Blueboard, green YJcopy of ac1308/audiobah does have those values standard, ac1308/audiobah itself hasn't. YbdZ wiener from china also has those values, Smakn (amazon) too. Double chip redboard has 33uH/1uF 8ohm filter, bit low Fc and maybe like Blueboard some questionmarks regarding build.

Irribeo, Gratitude for fast comments! Unfortunately i didnt get it.
So, 10 ohm Aucharm? It is said to be 4 ohm driver. Or did you mean some overall characteristics? OK, not to go there, can you shoot for board / assembled device to buy? I can change parts as well.

Fc, filter cutoff frequency 22uH/680nF is ~40khz. Data Aucharm suggest ~10ohm at 40khz. If true, not chinese spec but true, then that will work very good with 8 ohm filter, limited peaking.

Ok, Then 4 ohm Aucharm 4" will work well with any board. I think i get blue YJ one then.
Just got confused that these low cost amps must be optimised with mating them with specific impedance drivers (commonly 8 ohm). Thanks!

You don't have to think about load with YJblue, but it also won't give you an impression of 3116 ampboard when listening to it. It is not a single junk part, it is a combination of many junk parts and layout. Replacing almost any part will bring audible reward, after replacing some you'll think it has become very good.