TPA3116D2 Amp

You don't have to think about load with YJblue, but it also won't give you an impression of 3116 ampboard when listening to it. It is not a single junk part, it is a combination of many junk parts and layout. Replacing almost any part will bring audible reward, after replacing some you'll think it has become very good.

I'd have to agree. Most people judge the DC coupling caps I use to be "bad caps", although I've used many times with no bother. But they provided a vast improvement over the stock fitted caps!!! :eek:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know this is OT, but just wondered if you guys ever wonder about grass is greener? I have been a die-hard class D TPA3116D2 fan. But I thought I would give the other world of class AB a try. I couldn't pass up this amp for $40 on Aliexpress. It just came today and I will give it a test. I will discuss over in Chip Amp forum.

496287d1438298714-lm-3886-kit-recomendation-lm3886-photo.png

You don't have to think about load with YJblue, but it also won't give you an impression of 3116 ampboard when listening to it. It is not a single junk part, it is a combination of many junk parts and layout. Replacing almost any part will bring audible reward, after replacing some you'll think it has become very good.

Ordered boxed Breeze audio model, (cost about 25€ shipped) Going to change parts according diyaudio TPA3116 wiki.

Hey, concerning parts: Have people compared different kinds of resistors and their effects in this board? There are quite small amount of them and i wondered if i dare to invest Ohmite thick film resistors. Its going to cost about 2,5€ /pcs but normally if you rebuild A/B amp with dozens of them with these its going to cost much more.. Maybe i try.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TA310PA20K0JE Ohmite | Mouser

Hey, concerning parts: Have people compared different kinds of resistors and their effects in this board? There are quite small amount of them and i wondered if i dare to invest Ohmite thick film resistors. Its going to cost about 2,5€ /pcs but normally if you rebuild A/B amp with dozens of them with these its going to cost much more.. Maybe i try.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting, but that's a high cost resistor for this application. Are you convinced of the higher cost translating into greatly improved quality?

Personally I have always opted for solid carbons, or foil wraps by reputable manufacturers. Can be got for €0.43 each.
My golden rule for resistors is avoid wirewounds, and helix engraved types!!

But what do I know! lol.

Interesting, but that's a high cost resistor for this application. Are you convinced of the higher cost translating into greatly improved quality?

Personally I have always opted for solid carbons, or foil wraps by reputable manufacturers. Can be got for €0.43 each.
My golden rule for resistors is avoid wirewounds, and helix engraved types!!

But what do I know! lol.

Im not convinced, i just want to try. They look cool and have heard that thick films are cream´ of resistors. Btw. Now that i change inductors in this Breezeaudio amp and place order at Mouser, could i choose inductors that are better suited for 4ohms? What value? And do i have to change other like cap values as well if i go for 4 ohm optimized inductors?

Im not convinced, i just want to try. They look cool and have heard that thick films are cream´ of resistors. Btw. Now that i change inductors in this Breezeaudio amp and place order at Mouser, could i choose inductors that are better suited for 4ohms? What value? And do i have to change other like cap values as well if i go for 4 ohm optimized inductors?

If I ever resorted to films in previous endeavours I always used thin film.

Output filters are my next challenge!

Between these two amps:
Yuan Jing Audio - ON SALE! - TPA3116 Class-D 2.0 Stereo Amplifier Board + Anti-Pop - USD $13.99 - Class-D & T
Yuan Jing Audio - ON SALE! - TPA3116 Class-D 2.0 Stereo Amplifier Board [50W+50W] - USD $16.99 - Class-D & T

The only deference I see is the Rated Output Power.
How the power is delivered e.g. 50W@4Ohm, 100W@8Ohm, or vise versa?

I agree. I don't know much more than that though when it comes to amplifiers.. but what I do know, how to put it up against my TDA7498(also 100x2) and there is no comparison. Doesn't even come close. It does get louder at 2ohm load..but still it doesn't draw the amps that you think it should. Maybe I got a bad one. Would be nice if someone who knows, gets there hands on one.

Maybe this is the problem with low output (depending on the speaker).

I've read that thick films are noisier than thin films or metal films.

Here:
http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/susumu/PTM.pdf
Thin and thick film » Resistor Guide
http://www.digikey.ca/Web Export/Su...Stackpole_ThickFilmXThinFilm.pdf?redirected=1
Thin-Film Chip Resistors Challenge Traditional Thick-Film Devices | Passive Components content from Power Electronics

I've read that thick films are noisier than thin films or metal films.

Concure. I have always found thick films "noisier". Although without measuring equip I just relied on fact the thin films always produced better sounding system.

I use carbon composite if available. Allen Bradley resistors. But they are harder to come by, a great composite alternative is Arcol composites.
Although haven't tried as yet, Amtrans AMRG carbon films are meant to be very good. They are a replacement to the Riken Ohm carbon film resistors.

Biggest issue with thick films is their temperature coefficient.

If you poke them in an audio filter circuit, I/V converter or some other application where the audio envelope determines how hot they get, the audio envelope can dynamically change their resistance causing distortion and/or causing the circuit characteristics to change in a way you don't want.

Learned this lesson many years ago when I started out working on broadcast equipment. "50mW dissipation in a 100mW rated cheap 1% resistor? That'll be fine" ... spent a good bit of time trying to figure out why the circuit THD went to hell at low frequencies.

Between these two amps:
Yuan Jing Audio - ON SALE! - TPA3116 Class-D 2.0 Stereo Amplifier Board + Anti-Pop - USD $13.99 - Class-D & T
Yuan Jing Audio - ON SALE! - TPA3116 Class-D 2.0 Stereo Amplifier Board [50W+50W] - USD $16.99 - Class-D & T

I have a few of the blue/black boards and have enjoyed them a lot and they are easy to modify. I have had some problems with the anti pop boards. One arrived doa and is being replaced. Another worked well when I first hooked it up but has since died. I don’t know what I did to to bugger it up. Service at YJ is good and there was no problem getting a replacement sent out.
Hope this helps.