Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
really missed you. I followed that "relationship..." thread which was supposed to give the answers (I give you my word that I really thought you were on to something at one point) but completely failed, IMO.
also, saying "the brain does not detect THD below 0.5%" does not add anything useful to the discussion. IMO you have a very low credibility and any random assertion like that is just audiophile BS/old wives tales. if you quoted some research, well, that would change a lot of things. instead you are quoting "papa Nelson" (which, IMO, is a businessman before being an audio designer). talking about guru-ism/fanatism...

..google is open and free,contact some university,study,search..ask from:
Synaps, to auditory perception and sound processing in the brain.
and ask if there is "acceleration of the particles of air," or there is only a constant speed (which depends on the support of propagation), etc etc. search relation with electric audio enveloope (if you find)..
simple!

..Thank Mr.Push_Pull.

i think that the market will tell if the price point is right. Very few businesses are actually basing their price policy on the actual production costs, and why should they?

Spot on. The correct price for a product is as much as customers are willing to pay, but not more. I salute Hypex for their price policy, and wish them much success now and in the future.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:cop: I have reluctantly moved this thread to Vendors Bazaar. Despite the fact that many think this is an obvious thing to do, the thread was not started by Hypex, and that has been the primary reason it has not been moved until now.

The ideal situation would be if Hypex had their own commercial forum here, but they do not. If they did the thread would have been moved long ago.

Tony.

I'm considering purchasing the NCORE. I already own a Sure TK2050 2x100W amplifier and I'm reasonably satisfied with it's sound reproduction.

Can anyone offer comparisons of HYPEX modules in general or specifically the NCORE vs the Sure TK2050 or similar amps?

My goal with upgrading is to improve bass response and gain more texture and richness in the mid-range. I'm most concerned with texture and resolution of mid range detail as I tend to listen to acoustics solos (Cello, Violin, Piano, Guitar) though my musical tastes run the gamut of musical styles (yes even polka).

If all I will gain is the more esoteric "sound stage" or "air" I'm not interested. Especially considering the TK2050 is $150 to build with a basic case and PS.

Hi, I am new to DIY audio and I am considering building an amp with the ncore. I am planning to use a tube preamp. My question is this. Do I need to use a circuit on input for protection from overcurrents during power-on and power-off of the preamp? Also is it a good idea to use tube preamp and if not what is prefferable? Forgive me if the questions are lame.

Hi, I am new to DIY audio and I am considering building an amp with the ncore. I am planning to use a tube preamp. My question is this. Do I need to use a circuit on input for protection from overcurrents during power-on and power-off of the preamp? Also is it a good idea to use tube preamp and if not what is prefferable? Forgive me if the questions are lame.

The NC400 needs about 2VRMS to deliver it's full power of some 200 watts in an 8 ohm load, so first of all you might consider if an active preamp is what you need.
When you want to tailor the sound to your liking you could try whatever preamp to achieve that, but for the most "neutral" sound a mere buffered passive preamp could well be the ticket.

The NC400 needs about 2VRMS to deliver it's full power of some 200 watts in an 8 ohm load, so first of all you might consider if an active preamp is what you need.
When you want to tailor the sound to your liking you could try whatever preamp to achieve that, but for the most "neutral" sound a mere buffered passive preamp could well be the ticket.

Thanks pieter t, I am considering both, but since I already have the preamp I am thinking of trying the preamp first. My point is if I ever want to use it with the tube preamp, is there I chance I will damage the ncore if I don't use a protection circuit?

Dear friends,

From the comments on the smps supply opposed to a classic linear one, it does sound like there is a consensus that the "new" technology has surpassed the old one also on sound quality. Please correct me here, as I am trying to get a hold on the possibilities that comes with smps´s over linear PS designs...

I have a few Q´s regarding how to read the specs and chose a proper smps for various applications that I hope someone would be helpful to answer:

As I get it the smps tech generally regulates in a different way to that of the linear PS´s as the recharging circles are not restricted to the main frequency but designed to be fx 100kHz. This should mean that smps should be "stiffer" than linear supplies, no?

This should also mean that the distortion artifacts produced by the charging is moved up in frequency according to reduced charging circles, no? Hence probably also related to subjectively different audible signature, no?

Generally, what counts in smps design to achieve the very best audible performance of the active circuitry hooked on it?

How big audible differences should one expect from one smps design to another? Has anyone tried various smps designs on the same circuitry to assess this?

Does power rating still count, or does it just need to be adequate. In the linear days a 1000VA donut would blow a way a 200 VA one although only a few watts was actually used... Does this translate into the smps´s too, hence more authority can be gained by getting a more "stiff" supply by fx choosing a 1200watt over a 400 watt one?

Also when making linear PS´s there is little doubt regarding getting greater performance from dedicated rails per channel opposed to share one big pair of +/- VDC. Does this also count for smps´s, and if so which of the hypex offerings does offer plural dedicated pair´s VDC rails? Or do one need to purchase a dedicated smps for each channel to get the very best performance?

I would be greatful for any comments.

cheers,

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
How close can the SMPS and NC400 be placed? It there a minimum recommended distance? I'm thinking of making a very compact design with the PSU right next to the NC400 module, with the NC400 placed on the long side of the SMPS. See drawing below.

Attachments

• NC400_SMPS600.png
    NC400_SMPS600.png
    54 KB · Views: 688
Status
Not open for further replies.