Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
my living room (or rather my setup) is *the* living example of that. Unless I stuff one corner of my room with all kinds of damping material (up until the ceiling), the sound tends to "hang" to the right.

Unfortunately, WAF of damping material is generally not that high and curtains are not an option. And completely rearranging my living room is quite out of the question too.

makes me wonder again why i bought those ncore's ... :D

I've found that most very good drivers are almost equally bad when it comes to THD... very hard to get less than 0.3% @ 90 dB SPL... It makes me wonder why we really need amps like the Ncore with THD at max 0.002%
there is an interview with Meridian founder, Bob Stuart; TAS 194: Meridian Audio's Bob Stuart Talks with Robert Harley | AVguide

and I quote:
The errors that occur in an audio system have completely different dimensions. The kind of distortions a loudspeaker makes are completely different sonically from the ones that an amplifier makes, generally speaking.
It’s always struck me as quite interesting that I can take a system where the speaker has certain, even gross, defects and maybe an amplifier has others, but we can change something very subtle in the digital signal processing that’s feeding that chain and we hear it very clearly because this difference is on a totally different dimension than all the other defects. It’s separated and independent, whether it’s spatially or whatever it is.

my living room (or rather my setup) is *the* living example of that. Unless I stuff one corner of my room with all kinds of damping material (up until the ceiling), the sound tends to "hang" to the right.

Unfortunately, WAF of damping material is generally not that high and curtains are not an option. And completely rearranging my living room is quite out of the question too.

makes me wonder again why i bought those ncore's ... :D
I'm in the same situation. my room is very bad (acoustically) and redecoration is not an option (not because of WAF but because of common sense). even the speaker placement "window" is very small. and yet I get the upgrade frenzy from time to time...

and talking about speaker distortion, Soundstage Network has this list of speakers that they measured. I would challenge anyone to try and tell the good speakers from the bad ones based just on measurements: Loudspeaker Measurements

Last edited:
and talking about speaker distortion, Soundstage Network has this list of speakers that they measured. I would challenge anyone to try and tell the good speakers from the bad ones based just on measurements: Loudspeaker Measurements

Impossible IMO because measurements are done in an anechoic room, too different from a domestic environment.
Like amplifiers it is impossible to predict sound quality based on measurements when you ask me.
Room acoustics and a healthy speaker-amplifier interface are more important to consider.

Hi,
I do not want to discuss about NCore (I do not know). but one thing is certain. is not the THD of 0.003%, which justifies a sound truly faithful to the tweeter. The human ear can not perceive under 0.5%. (it is already a value for one ear as a musician of camera).
so why continue to give the THD when an amp is not able to faithfully reproduce a sound?
over the years there have been class d amp, which pointed the market on a particular performance. as load-independent (some not load independent, sounded better), then ultra-low THD, etc etc..
if this is a free forum. I'm sorry to open it and read not really a topic related to improving the realism of the sound.
Certainly, I can avoid reading but.. as you can distribute to others in 2012 that works well because the THD is less than 0.003%? This continues to be led astray fans.
discuss the things that our brain uses to recognize the sounds,then develop and adjust amplifier with good performances on it.

Regards

really missed you. I followed that "relationship..." thread which was supposed to give the answers (I give you my word that I really thought you were on to something at one point) but completely failed, IMO.
also, saying "the brain does not detect THD below 0.5%" does not add anything useful to the discussion. IMO you have a very low credibility and any random assertion like that is just audiophile BS/old wives tales. if you quoted some research, well, that would change a lot of things. instead you are quoting "papa Nelson" (which, IMO, is a businessman before being an audio designer). talking about guru-ism/fanatism...

Hi,
discuss the things that our brain uses to recognize the sounds,then develop and adjust amplifier with good performances on it.

Imho, its not amplifier's job to correct the problems in acoustics and satisfy our brains. Amplifier's job is to amplify.

What comes into the amplifier can be fiddled with and processed, for instance with room correction and other signal processing (brain adaptation? :p). Even in that case, better the amplifier, more of that positive signal processing goes through.

you can't, maybe I can't. that does not mean that there aren't people that can.
if you were right, audio engineering would be nothing but a random exercise.

Random exercise is a bit much to me, but much knowledge is gathered by empirical research and experience.
It is important to be aware of the fact that changing elements can change the sound without being able to declare why (think of cables for example).
When I am in a room where loudspeakers must perform the first thing I do is clap my hands to get an impression of the acoustics; then I know which speakers will not be suited.
All these things make it interesting.

Regarding control theory/lotsafeedback designs, from the interview:

... if i were to use this knowledge to design a linear amplifier then i would end up with a linear amplifier that i would be unable to beat with my class d designs ...

Posted 24th of may 2011. You still think so Bruno?

EDIT: OK, leave it, found the posts. Can;t blame me for forgetting post X from 1740 posts...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.