Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
pre for nc

Very interested in building an amp based upon the nCore...

Could anyone suggest a DIY preamp circuit that is a good match for the nCore, that can take both unbalanced and balanced inputs and has balanced outputs ?

I'm open to all suggestions : passive, active, SS, tubes, transformers, anything goes as long as it is sonically on par with the nCore...

As far as input selector and volume control are concerned, I think I'll use the remote-controlled Dantimax kits (Input2 and RelVol3, with Control2), unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thanks in advance for your advice !

David

Hi David,
I don´t know the dantimax stuff but i sure looks interesting for building something with good functionality. They seem to be made for specific attenuators and have no idea of whether they are good. I have read that the quality fo the attenuator should be important, but have no personal experience though.

Regarding the line stage function, there are quite a few to pick from, and the right choice for you probably comes down to what sound you like. I guess that the ncore is very transparent so if you want the amp to have a sound, it probably needs to come from the pre section...

A good tube circuitry is probably a good thing if you like to make a tubey fingerprint and like the possibility to roll tubes for adjusting the sound. If you like to stay on most of the time, then go for a transistor circuitry. These will also enable you to work with safer voltages and use a greater variety of voltage regulation which probably is the more important part of the pre...

Personally I would consider to try an avondale line stage board or even something based on the naim topology, as this is what I like, but there are probably many other and equally good alternatives out there.

Please report your findings when you get that far :)

cheers,

For those who have already an Ncore with connectors: do you think it is possible to fit it into a tube with an internal diameter of 10cm; not centered necessarily and it is not necessary to plug the connectors at the end but I would them connect right from the beginning before fitting the module onto the plate. Hope I'm clear, my fear is that the connector and cables which part sideway make the module "wider" than 10 cm.
Thanks.

@ jmbulg: I also looked at that. You are looking at 101.6mm pipe, no? :D I found the SMPS600 to be more of a problem. See attached quick CAD drawing. That is the SMPS600 on 5mm stand-offs (45mm high). The problem you have here is that you still need a base, and then there are the stand-off's leads (if you screw them in from the top). A thin plate with screws from the bottom is probably an easier alternative. Still very tight and you'll probably have to insulate the inner of the tube to make it "safe". Regarding the NC400 itself, I don't think that is an issue. If you bend the wires down like you've mentioned I think it should fit quite easily (given that the connectors are assembled before moving it into the tube).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 784
@ jmbulg: I also looked at that. You are looking at 101.6mm pipe, no? :D I found the SMPS600 to be more of a problem. See attached quick CAD drawing. That is the SMPS600 on 5mm stand-offs (45mm high). The problem you have here is that you still need a base, and then there are the stand-off's leads (if you screw them in from the top). A thin plate with screws from the bottom is probably an easier alternative. Still very tight and you'll probably have to insulate the inner of the tube to make it "safe". Regarding the NC400 itself, I don't think that is an issue. If you bend the wires down like you've mentioned I think it should fit quite easily (given that the connectors are assembled before moving it into the tube).

I will put the SMPS600 in a separate box. Will try to prepare a sketch of what I plan (not very usual and maybe too fancy)

Ok, so here is my plan.
Ncore in a tube
SMPS in a box
both across a wood (see wood color on one side),
mounted on a thick aluminium plate (other side)
and finished by some decorative "recall" of the other side (round heatsink in front of ncore and thick plate in front of SMPS box).
Cables in the wooden plat and then out at the end of the wooden base, nothing visible.

Plate slighty inclined towards the back to recall my audiophysics speakers ...

Attachments

• ncore1.jpg
    ncore1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 780
  • ncore2.jpg
    ncore2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:
Hello,
I've done that with my open baffle woofers, 2nd order distortion was reduced by almost 20 dB! :)

Bad drivers, aren't they?
;)

Seriously, the drivers itself should not exhibit "any" asymmetry (Kms(X), BL(X), Le(X) and more) in their Klippel behaviour. The Aura (woofer) units are quite good just in this manner, could be better in sensitivity and overall (also small signal-) linearity IMO, causing some still very low 3rd HD.
My driver decisions are Klippel-measurement dependent since years. It's a good thing to know, what the drivers should do and will do at any power level, at least from the engineers perspective. Possibly I'm not able to hear audiophile... :D
Unfortunately my CBT arrays do not contain the best drivers at all.

Cheers, Timo

Not to mention that if the room acoustics are not well taken of, which usually aren't, the resulting sound at the listening chair is filled with nice 10-20db pits and pumps and echoes and what not. Calculate the THD of that.

Anyways, its nice to have at least some things right. right?

Status
Not open for further replies.