Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean by better? Could you define further?

Where from? Is that available now from Hypex?

Buffer stage... Hmm, is is still require to have one if you have enough gain from the previous stage (and presumably a low impedance)?

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

One thing that really stands out is listening at high volume levels is much easier on the ears. With the NC400's it could get to a level where you want to turn it down a bit. Not with these. In fact I haven't found a level too high. Absolutely silky smooth at any level.

Any other characteristics will be due to the input buffer used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remain surprised that, even allowing for taste, the top end of the NC400s can be described as 'synthetic'. I've had mine running with a few different speakers and they've all sounded good. Between DIY builds ATM and using a pair of Spendor S5e speakers with my subs. The treble, powered by the NC400s, is very clean. Certainly not harsh, thin, synthetic or anything else unpleasant. There may be amps out there I'd like better, perhaps even other Hypex designs, but I don't have any motivation to change. All the various speakers I've used sound more different to each other using the NC400s than the NC400s sound compared to other good amps I've heard.

What did you use before the amp?

Oh right, ok. Is there a ballpark figure for what a finished nc500 power amp may sell for?

The Merrill Taranis is $2500. The Bel Canto REF 600 mono blocks are $4590 a pair. But as I mentioned earlier not all NC500 based amps will be the same. For example my input buffers cost more to build than the NC500 modules themselves. While others may use a 26 cent voltage regulator powering a $1.30 IC opamp.

hypex ncore

Hmmm is that a Hypex 'thoust shall not trounce thine nc1200' limitation!?!

May not be good for my 4ohm nominal speakers then! :-(

They would be perfectly fine with your 4ohm nominal speakers. That's what I'm driving at the moment. They barely even get warm driving them to 115db. Efficiency of them is 88db 1w 1m. Absolutely no change in sonic character at any volume level with them.

The NC400's start to saturate and compress at these levels with these speakers.

Last edited:
hypex ncore

Acoustic Imagery is offering a nc500 monoblock set for $1999.

I just purchased a set of nc500's, a set of 1200 smps, and two Hypex input buffer boards for $1000US from someone who said they were an OEM who decided against manufacturing the amps.

Yes that's the lowest cost option I know of. I'm assuming exactly what you purchased is what's in their monoblock cases.

Have you hooked them up and listened to them yet?

Not yet....it will probably be a while before I have the time. I will be going with an active 3 way system, using 4 nc400's and 2 nc500's, with 3 of the Soekris r2r dacs and magnepan tympani IVa's. Wondering where to use the nc500's.....

I recommend ordering some HxR regulators and replacing the L7815CV's on the buffer boards. Just be careful removing them as they are jammed in tight. If not heated enough with an air gun, you risk peeling back some of the PCB traces. If you don't have the right tools, take them to someone who does. Don't ask me how I know :)

Ah, just checking - so you might have a commercial interest in promoting the nc500 over the nc400?

No just an honest opinion. The only difference I can see is they are more powerful, and don't have onboard buffer stages. Building discrete buffers as transparent as Bruno did for the NC400's, will be a challenge for many OEM's. Especially at the price point an NC400 DIY amp can be built at.

Besides the NC400 is a DIY product. It's not direct competition to turnkey commercial amps.

I recommend ordering some HxR regulators and replacing the L7815CV's on the buffer boards. Just be careful removing them as they are jammed in tight. If not heated enough with an air gun, you risk peeling back some of the PCB traces. If you don't have the right tools, take them to someone who does. Don't ask me how I know :)

Thanks, I will look into that...

Status
Not open for further replies.