Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on your enclosure.

As audiophiles prefer something with more coloration? :)

Thanks Julf, so something quite common like the GHENT AUDIO Cases?

...interesting thing, but its often been said that audio equipment that measures poorly can sound 'better' lol :)

Take the original TDA1541A (Crown or double-Crown) DAC chips as an example... they measure horribly, but sound like good Vinyl

Still doing my homework and trying to get a good all round subjective/objective view on these Amplifiers before I pull the trigger - I would be fuming if I just bought all this stuff and Bruno releases something new next month though!!!!!!!

My wailing NC400 has been replaced with a brand new amp free of charge.

The reason for replacement was 'failed led'.

I now have two amps from very different batches and the caps on the new one are different. Is this likely to cause a difference in the sound of the two amps? That would be a bit of a disaster!

One of my nCores has started 'wailing', it's the only way to describe it. And luckily two days before the warranty runs out, I have RMA'd it but what could cause such a thing?

Thanks Julf, so something quite common like the GHENT AUDIO Cases?

One or two amps in a case should be OK even with the extra 5W/amp, but holes for air circulation might be a good idea.

...interesting thing, but its often been said that audio equipment that measures poorly can sound 'better' lol :)
Just measure a typical guitar amp :)

Take the original TDA1541A (Crown or double-Crown) DAC chips as an example... they measure horribly, but sound like good Vinyl
Well, yes, vinyl is the perfect example that you don't need perfect performance. SNR on the order of 60 dB, often > 1% THD, and people are still perfectly happy.

Still doing my homework and trying to get a good all round subjective/objective view on these Amplifiers before I pull the trigger - I would be fuming if I just bought all this stuff and Bruno releases something new next month though!!!!!!!
Even if he does, the nc400's are so much better than any source material (or speakers, or listening rooms) that it really won't matter.

regs

the smps1200 is used with the high-end nc1200, so I do not think it is inferior, I think it is better (but I do not know this).
the drawback is that you get 5W more heat dissipation from each nc400. The smps600 has an extra regulated powerline reducing the voltage regulation that needs to be done by nc400. But my guess is that nc400 has better regulator than smps600, because it has the LEDs like an "superregulator".

The NC-400 has onboard HxR discrete regulators for powering the discrete input stage of the module. Indeed, these are high quality, ultra low noise regulators, also sold as separate modules by Hypex.

Thanks for the links regarding the SMPS1200/400 ...we need to custom make the wiring with these then !?

I listened to a LYNGDORF TDA system yesterday at friends place, which I believe is UcD based modules. Speakers are dipolar and complimented with 2 x 10" woofers doing duties from 400hz down.

The image was the widest I've heard to date (I suspect due to the open back dipole design reflecting off the front and side walls) and detail spectacular!!!!

My only slight dislike were the Vocals, which sound a bit 'hollow' or thin to my ears ....is this the general character of Class D and nCore nc400 too?

Thanks

Yes,I do! But this has more to do with personal taste and nothing is more personal than your own hearing.Me personal I don't like Class D amps,why no emotion and lifeless.Is the Ncore therefore a bad amp ? No,but for me I would never buy one.I've build several AB amps and heard several Class D amp to come to this conclusion.But as said before that's personal

Yes,I do! But this has more to do with personal taste and nothing is more personal than your own hearing.Me personal I don't like Class D amps,why no emotion and lifeless.Is the Ncore therefore a bad amp ? No,but for me I would never buy one.I've build several AB amps and heard several Class D amp to come to this conclusion.But as said before that's personal

You have misread what Julf has said, there isn't one type of class D sound but many. E.G An ICE Power amp sounds completely different to the Ncores.

Thanks All. Just trying to get honest and variety of opinions. Fans, Neutralites and Haters will all state their opinions all of which may be valid...it's good to get general consensus, as with anything in Life.

No Amplifier is perfect for a multitude of reasons...just which is more preferable for the User - I was a TAGMcLaren aficionado for many years, believing there were no compromises, still good but I've changed my mind in latter years and now don't believe they are the very best.

Hypex will undoubtedly build 'more perfect' amplifiers soon enough ;-)

No disrespect to anyone

Yes,I do! But this has more to do with personal taste and nothing is more personal than your own hearing.Me personal I don't like Class D amps,why no emotion and lifeless.

As noted, all class D amps don't sound the same - just as all class A amps, or class A/B amps don't all sound the same. It is almost like saying "I don't like the sound of amplifiers where the manufacturers name contains the letter 'M'".

Is the Ncore therefore a bad amp ? No,but for me I would never buy one.I've build several AB amps and heard several Class D amp to come to this conclusion.But as said before that's personal.
So have you actually heard an nc400? I can of course understand that someone who is used to lots of colouring and/or distortion might not like the transparency of the nc400.

I borrowed a pair of nc400 with the 600 power supplies. Great amp, huge drive and control in the bass, but the treble range was all wrong, synthetic sounding, it just didn't gel for me at all. I'd use them to power my bass drivers, but not my raal tweeters. Ime, this does appear to be broadly speaking a class trait, the ice power, original ucd and some older class d I've heard all have a similar effect, mostly more apparent thgan it is with the ncore.

Status
Not open for further replies.