Guide to build Hypex Modules - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2011, 02:54 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Are you absolutely certain that the sheet metal with the holes in it (whatever that is) isn't in contact with the bottom of a module? It looks like it's warped in the pics. Just a thought.
Old 7th May 2011, 05:20 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

If you've double checked for shorts both in the module mounting, power supply and audio input (I'd also recommend double checking all power connections and jumper options) I would try the following:

it looks like you've connected the UCD enable pins to the SMPS J1.6 "Output Ground Bootstrap" (Having used the linear supplies myself I've no clue what the bootstrap connections are on these.) I recommend you either tie the UCD enable to the standard ground, or the the SMPS J4, pin 6 - which is the connection designed to enable the the UCD's

from the datasheet:
"When the enable-line of a UcD-series amplifier is connected to this pin the amplifier will be enabled and disabled automatically when the SMPS1200 is switched on and off preventing unwanted audio artefacts during powerup and powerdown."

unfortunately there is an error in the SMPS1200 datasheet. Pages 6 and 9 disagree as to whether it is J4 pin 5 or 6. Luckily the other pins are listed as NC (no connect) so it should be safe to try both.

for test purposes, it should be OK to simply attach that UCD enable line to any good, known ground. Including the chassis if it is grounded. If the UCD gets power and is enabled, it'll light up like a christmas tree with those HxR's on there, so you'll know if it's powered.
Old 7th May 2011, 06:07 AM   #33
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
ehh, blue heatsink would be enough for all day low level listening, lets don't even talk about just to put any signal out... as far as I see, you have still not started ucd's, I think they have some pin, which is something like on/off for ucd
Old 7th May 2011, 06:58 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody
Thanks for your help. I definitely need it i really appreciate that a lot.

So, now i have two wire plugs:
- on the first picture is J4
- the second picture is J6

But i have no idea how i have to connect these wire plugs. There is no other possibility to put these plugs on the UCD or i am wrong?

How do i have to connect Smps with the UCD's to enable them and where is this pin?

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.JPG (351.1 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0149.JPG (307.8 KB, 585 views)

Last edited by souldriver; 7th May 2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:36 AM   #35
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

When the amp modules where screwed to the base (before you turned them over and mounted the blue heat sink to the base), there they in direct contact with the base or elevated by posts or washers? If they where in direct contact you may have shorted out the board?

I can know see they look like they where elevated, but not by much.

Last edited by DQ828; 7th May 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:58 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

No, they where elevated from the beginning at least 1cm. I used some longer metall screws to keep them away from the board. I hope i did it correct and did not shortet out the modules.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:00 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldriver View Post
But i have no idea how i have to connect these wire plugs. There is no other possibility to put these plugs on the UCD or i am wrong?
The plugs are designed to mate with the UCD700 IIRC. For the 400 you can't use the plugs that came with the smps. You'll need to locate the correct wire and connect to the UCD by other means. Since you have the ribbon cable (with IDC connectors), you can use the end that connects to the SMPS, but cut and strip the right wire for the UCD enable/turn-on pin.

For test, I recommend just ground the UCD enable pins and see if they power on. Then figure out how you'd like to permanently attach them.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:29 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi everybody
Just noticed, I think your softstart is miswired. Input is OK, output to the SMPS is not on the right pins. (your enable pin wiring maybe OK after all)
see pic.

the click you hear now at power-on is the relay in the softstart. I'm pretty sure your SMPS is not getting power. (this is where a multimeter comes in handy)
sofstart_clip.png

Last edited by eclectic2k; 7th May 2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:46 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

ups....you are right...!

Now again, is this correct when i try to get from the plug J4 pin 5 or 6 and connect it to the ground (case?) and after that it should work....hopefully!!!
Old 7th May 2011, 04:29 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
ups....you are right...!

Now again, is this correct when i try to get from the plug J4 pin 5 or 6 and connect it to the ground (case?) and after that it should work....hopefully!!!
you might be fine the way you had it the enable pin connected already. Do let us know, but your only issue may have been the AC supply.

What I am referring to with SMPS J4 pin 5 (or 6) is that it be connected to the UCD J1, pin 4 (the "ON/OFF Control" pin) It is fine if you simply ground this J1.4 pin, but the SMPS has a dedicated output signal on J4 Pin 5 (or 6) that is designed to turn on the UCD after the SMPS is stable.

So either leave SMPS J4 disconnected, or wire pin 5 or 6 to the UCD control pin. Hopefully this makes sense now.

Before spotting the AC misconnection at the softstart, I was not sure if the wire you attached the UCD J1.4 was a good ground. It maybe just fine.

Let us know if you're UCD's power up OK...

Hide this!Advertise here!