New TK2050 board - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2010, 06:12 PM   #381
DJK265 is offline DJK265  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking Finally testing!!

Testing my board today after it sat here for 2 weeks. It's running great on a HP 31v, 2.5a brick. Later I'll be running it on a Meanwell 27v smps adjusted to 30v and 4ohm speakers. So far I'm liking what I here, great buy.

Later
Dan
Old 5th July 2010, 01:41 AM   #382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamacc View Post
Do you have any estimations on when the sta517 board will be ready?
thanks
Hi, This month I hope.
Old 5th July 2010, 04:17 AM   #383
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Can someone confirm for me how long the delay is before the relay connects the speakers at turn-on? Is disconnection instantaneous? I need to make sure I can switch on/off all equipment simultaneously.

Also, I’d like some help understanding the difference in power out between V2.0 and V1.1B:
-What supply voltage is necessary to get 2x80W @ 8 ohm from V1.1B?
-I take it the STA508 is current limited at 4 ohm in this application? How will the board handle 8 ohm nominal speakers that dip down to 6-7 ohm?
-Is the reason the V1.1B is recommended for 8ohm loads because it can handle (thermally or otherwise) the higher power supply voltage needed to get more power at 8 ohm? Why not just use V2.0?

Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 05:00 AM   #384
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
Can someone confirm for me how long the delay is before the relay connects the speakers at turn-on? Is disconnection instantaneous? I need to make sure I can switch on/off all equipment simultaneously.
Turn on is around 1 sec.
Turn off is the same, because of the voltage stored in the PSU caps. I had connected a DAC to the same power source as the amp earlier, and when cutting the power I got the loud noise the DAC makes while powering off.
I think this is general to all amps, you have to turn off the amp before you turn off the source.

The V1.1B board has a power switch on board.

Last edited by Nick122147; 5th July 2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:26 AM   #385
diyAudio Member

Default Direct from cs4397 DAC chip

Today I tried connecting my dac chip directly to the amp. Took signal from pin 19 and 24 and 21(gnd) from cs4397. The sound is outstanding! more detailed, wider soundstage. Is this ok for the amp? I think it should be because of the input caps on the amp. I'm using 2.2uf now. Should I cut the signal from cs4397 going to its regular places inside the dac to get all the juice come to the amp, will that make any difference?
Old 5th July 2010, 11:38 AM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi,

if the SMPS is regulated, then there is another problem (not able to respond quickly to requests for current) is useless to try it with constant resistive load. example. 68V 8Amp continuous load, the voltage drops to 2V ...
not the technician at all but your mentioned disadvantages I could not listen out with my 10 ampere SMPS. Its regulated and from a popular japanese brand. They invest millions in research and best engineers. I think voltage and current is more complex than I or the simple DIY people can imagine.
Regard this for example ... a battery can provide on demand 100 amperes very fast. Maybe faster than a SMPS but what about the main impedance issue in a audio chain: the speakers ? I can imagine that a simple designed speaker demands a very wide range of current. And should this demand really provided in any time with the equal intense ?

Whats the practical result ? Some SMPS are best solutions valued by listening impressions

Last edited by TheDealer; 5th July 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:00 PM   #387
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Direct out from dac is amazing!

Isn't running a V out dac chip directly out to the amp amazing! I have been running my AK4395 chips this way for 5 years. You will need a blocking cap on both sides of the pot. One to block the dc on the dac output before it shorts through the pot and the one for the amp board to prevent it's 2.5vdc from shorting through the pot. You might hear another slight improvement from lifting the rest of the original circuits following the dac chip in case there is any slight noise or load in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
Today I tried connecting my dac chip directly to the amp. Took signal from pin 19 and 24 and 21(gnd) from cs4397. The sound is outstanding! more detailed, wider soundstage. Is this ok for the amp? I think it should be because of the input caps on the amp. I'm using 2.2uf now. Should I cut the signal from cs4397 going to its regular places inside the dac to get all the juice come to the amp, will that make any difference?
Old 5th July 2010, 12:04 PM   #388
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post

Also, Id like some help understanding the difference in power out between V2.0 and V1.1B:
-What supply voltage is necessary to get 2x80W @ 8 ohm from V1.1B?
-I take it the STA508 is current limited at 4 ohm in this application? How will the board handle 8 ohm nominal speakers that dip down to 6-7 ohm?
-Is the reason the V1.1B is recommended for 8ohm loads because it can handle (thermally or otherwise) the higher power supply voltage needed to get more power at 8 ohm? Why not just use V2.0?

Thanks
Hi, 35V supply is needed for 80W from v1.1B, andyou can use down to 6ohm, but we suggest the supply voltage will be down to about 30V then, which will keep the chip away from damage. If use 4ohm, the supply voltage should down to about 20V, with same reason.
I think v2.0 can output same power to 8ohm load as v1.1B does. But if your speakers are 8ohm, we suggest v1.1B, it's better for 8ohm(less heat, better channel balance and so on).
Old 5th July 2010, 12:07 PM   #389
diyAudio Member

Default T3 first board

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 5th July 2010, 12:24 PM   #390
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Isn't running a V out dac chip directly out to the amp amazing! I have been running my AK4395 chips this way for 5 years. You will need a blocking cap on both sides of the pot. One to block the dc on the dac output before it shorts through the pot and the one for the amp board to prevent it's 2.5vdc from shorting through the pot. You might hear another slight improvement from lifting the rest of the original circuits following the dac chip in case there is any slight noise or load in them.
Now i run without a cap before the pot, its works. Will it sound better with a cap there, is that the reason I need one?

Hide this!Advertise here!