The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this thread after doing a lot of research on building a portable speaker system that is attached to a bicycle. I like the design of the boominator, and was thinking of switching the square design into an inverted "U" to fit across the back racks of a touring bicycle, and reducing the speaker set to 2 drivers and 2 tweeters.

The boominator has 10" drivers opposite of each other in the design, with the magnet ends right up against each other, but in my design change, it wouldn't make sense to have these inner speakers (as they would be pointing inward at each other).

My question is, with this design, does the drivers being right next to each other have an additive or synergistic effect? Please keep in mind that I have very little audio expertise, so I may have a lot of followup questions on your replies.

Maybe two 10" woofers which allow for a quite small BR enclosure and one single tweeter horn is enough for your application?
This would allow a quite simple design for your bike rack.
Amping would be easy with a 4 Ohm amplifier and two woofers on one channel and the tweeter on the other channel.
Just get a mini dsp or build your own analog crossover.
I recommend two 12V batteries and 20$ TAS5611 module.

again, seems to me that the most useful package is the boominator.

So rather than trying to adjust that design to fit the bike or bike/rack, or building two halfinators or whatever, the best plan is just build boominator and then figure out attachment for bike.

You could easily strap it crosswise to any decent front porteur-style rack (like a CETMA) sans rails and ride.

Could probably, with some good attachments, attach to top of rear rack lengthwise as well.

Or, just run a trailer for the bike and throw it on there.

with this set up, you have more utility overall--as you could still attach front and rear panniers if desired.

A video recorded with a phone is pretty useless in judging a sound system. All you'll be able to judge is how terrible the microphone really is in a smart phone.

I dont disagree with you at all. There are not many good videos out there that does speakers at louder levels justice.
Modern phones are though getting better and better at capturing sound with a decent fidelity. First phone that I actually think did this rather well was the Lumia 920.
The latest Iphones are pretty OK at it. http://youtu.be/zggzHnr1SPM
Sure... Doesn't compare to proper equipment but at least gives some indication if you have something as a reference.
And arn't you at least a slight bit curious if that big sub does anything to improve the thump over your amazing construction? A walk around video to see how much the SPL diminishes of axis on the sub in comparison to the 360 sound of the boominator.

I do know what the Boominator sounds like assisted with a tapped horn sub, either a Cubo15 or in this case I think it's a TH-15. I have numerous times recommended this set-up with this exact amp, the only $225 bassface db1.2 700Wrms (optimistically) mono class D amp with built-in XO, to get the best out of the Boominator at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Soo I've had my Amp9 soldered up and sitting in the cupboard with the rest of the gear for my signature boominator for like 12 months while other projects have taken the limelight (and my cash).
Today i decided to test out the Amp9 to make sure it actually worked.... and it doesn't :-(
I've found another thread, Saturnus, where you mentioned that the AM jumper on J2 also needs to be closed/jumped. I didn't realise this and I suspect i've blown the tripath chip.
This is the thread i refer to;
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/250903-amp9-basic-help-nothing-happens-when-powered.html

I have now jumped the j2 AM jumper
I have Awake LED on
Mute LED off (actually can't get this to turn on even if i jump the mute jumper??)
D2 is green/on
Tripath chip gets warm/hot when powered but no sound.

I have two questions;
  1. How can i confirm that the chip is indeed fried?
  2. Is there anywhere in Australia where i can get a new TAA4100A chip? i looked online and shipping from the UK is like 18-50 USD... seems excessive for something that weighs a few grams.

Thanks in advance.

Should be against forum rules to post pictures of a setup looking this awesome without a video showing how it plays.
Come on now. Just do it already. ;)
With and without Cubo playing so we can judge how much/if it improves the lower frequencies. :)

On the subject of boom-bikes, I made this bike 5 years ago and have 7,800 miles on it. Its a BB bass box pro box with an Eminance 12" Deltalite woofer with Dayton xo at 2.5k with a ASD1001 compression driver under the seat. Driven by sure Tripath 2050 at about 40w with 97db 1w/1m efficiency. and a lipo 22.4v 15 aH battery.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It plays at a good 110db and bike total is 62 lbs. 23lb audio and 39lb bike. The mp3 player is in the soup bowl on the handlebars. I carry beer and groceries in the milk crate.

I do know what the Boominator sounds like assisted with a tapped horn sub, either a Cubo15 or in this case I think it's a TH-15. I have numerous times recommended this set-up with this exact amp, the only $225 bassface db1.2 700Wrms (optimistically) mono class D amp with built-in XO, to get the best out of the Boominator at a reasonable price.

Yup...Saturnus, it was your recommendation. :)
The Sub is a Tham15, brilliant design.

On the subject of boom-bikes, I made this bike 5 years ago and have 7,800 miles on it. Its a BB bass box pro box with an Eminance 12" Deltalite woofer with Dayton xo at 2.5k with a ASD1001 compression driver under the seat. Driven by sure Tripath 2050 at about 40w with 97db 1w/1m efficiency. and a lipo 22.4v 15 aH battery.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It plays at a good 110db and bike total is 62 lbs. 23lb audio and 39lb bike. The mp3 player is in the soup bowl on the handlebars. I carry beer and groceries in the milk crate.

That's brilliant!...love to see how you get up on it!

hehe... Well sorry for making assumptions here. I should have understood that it was your recommendation to begin with.

I was curious... And still is :)

Also Brotaku... That boombike is like one of the wierdest things I've seen all week. Puts a big grin on my face because of the sheer absurdness. Who comes up with an idea like that and why? And how do you even ride it? Yet it still so awesome in all it's weirdness.

But since it's not a boominator I think we've gone a bit too much off topic here.
Back to the boominator builds :)