The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Seems to be hard to find those 10W CIS solar panels :(
Out of stock at canopysound, tried to order from ebay UK, but after 3 weeks and opening a grievance ticket I finally got word back that they don't have them in stock either.
I've now sent a mail to a chinese seller through Alibaba but that site doesn't instill much confidence either. I'll report back if and when I get a reply.
Anyone else know where you can find these?

Last edited:
Seems to be hard to find those 10W CIS solar panels :(
Out of stock at canopysound, tried to order from ebay UK, but after 3 weeks and opening a grievance ticket I finally got word back that they don't have them in stock either.
I've now sent a mail to a chinese seller through Alibaba but that site doesn't instill much confidence either. I'll report back if and when I get a reply.
Anyone else know where you can find these?

Try here

ebay.com/itm/UK-STOCK-10w-thin-film-solar-panel-with-5m-solar-cables-no-duty-no-customs-/271214449519

(You have to copy paste the url)

Last edited:
Her is an other model, flexible amorphous silicon. Scroll way down and you can see another picture in use on a backpack. Its thin, and folds into the size of a document map.

I think its better to have a seperate solar panel and keep the Boominator simple, nice and clean.

aliexpress.com/item/12W-18V-Water-Proof-Flexible-Amorphous-Silicon-Solar-Panel-Flexible-Solar-Panel-Charger-Portable-Lightweight/1497353691.html

goo

Last edited:
There seem to be 2 sellers on ebay for this panel, I bought 2 from solarworld2012 about 3 weeks ago, but since it took so long to arrive I opened a ticket on ebay. I now got a reply they don't have them anymore and requested a refund, which arrived today.

Try here

ebay.com/itm/UK-STOCK-10w-thin-film-solar-panel-with-5m-solar-cables-no-duty-no-customs-/271214449519

(You have to copy paste the url)
I sent an email to the one in your link Saturnus and got this reply:

Ecoworthy said:
oh... i am sorry, i just found this item was out of stock. are you still interested in our any other items?tell me freely if there is anything i can do for you.

Best regards.
Monica

- ecoworthy2003
And then I also sent one out to ADsolarCN at AliExpress.
adsolarcn said:
Now we don't have CIGS solar panel now,as the bottom of new year in china,we stop import the raw material for CIGS cells.

When we have the goods ,i will contact you .

Thank you for your inquiry.

The problem is that you really want thin film panels either a-Si or CIG/S. Unless you're planning a permanent install where the panels are mounted very high, preferably 3-4 meter above ground level, and you have a fixed mounting angle. With regular Si panels just a bit of shade on part of panel, like 5% shade, can make the panel lose 50-60% of it's output power. They're not really suited for installs in portable equipment.

Holes needed at all?

Hi all,

I have tried to search this extensive thread, but did not find any discussion of this matter: Are the holes in the center panel needed at all?

As the design is fully symmetric, the air will not be moving in the plane of symmetry: a plane located midway between the magnets, i.e. in the middle of the center panel. This means that there will be no movement of air through the holes. Therefore, the holes only serves to increase the volume a little and lower weight.

More extreme, and still keeping the symmetric design in mind: Is the center panel actually serving only to increase stiffness of the box (and linking the speaker magnets)? So, provided the stiffness is ensured otherwise, the center panel could be omitted?

Any views, comments and experiences would be interesting to hear.
:rolleyes:

41hz kit instructions

Hi Guys,

I have been waiting for 41hz to come back online so I can download their assembly instructions for the amp 6 sneeky and amp9 kits as this is now holding up me finishing my pair of halfnators

Could some please post them here or email them to me as I can only find very old ones that are now out of date.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have tried to search this extensive thread, but did not find any discussion of this matter: Are the holes in the center panel needed at all?

As the design is fully symmetric, the air will not be moving in the plane of symmetry: a plane located midway between the magnets, i.e. in the middle of the center panel. This means that there will be no movement of air through the holes. Therefore, the holes only serves to increase the volume a little and lower weight.

More extreme, and still keeping the symmetric design in mind: Is the center panel actually serving only to increase stiffness of the box (and linking the speaker magnets)? So, provided the stiffness is ensured otherwise, the center panel could be omitted?

Any views, comments and experiences would be interesting to hear.

I'm surprised you haven't found it as it has been discussed extensively.

Yes, the center brace is crucial. For while the there would in theory not be air moving across the center plane if two driver could ever be made 100% identical that is not true in reality. And sound waves, like waves in water, is not actually moving air but excited motion. Try for example to create two waves in a tub with your hands. The although this will cancel most of the moving water, the waves will still cross.

The center brace serves 3 purposes.

1) It physically connects all the parts of the construction together thereby making it the most important single part of the entire construction.

2) Acts as a finely tuned acoustic barrier that brakes up sound waves in a controlled manor so that the need for acoustical dampening material can be eliminated.

3) It breaks up sound pressure resonance oscillations that can build up due to no two drivers in the world being absolutely identical.

Last edited:
Saturnus: "Yes, the center brace is crucial... "

Thanks Saturnus for swift reply to my thoughts and for running the thread in general! I will continue thoughts/work WITH the center brace.

Any experiences/views on making a channel for venting the drivers. Could be done without compromising any of the three purposes mentioned, I should think. Did I miss any discussion of this as well? :eek:

Any experiences/views on making a channel for venting the drivers. Could be done without compromising any of the three purposes mentioned, I should think. Did I miss any discussion of this as well? :eek:

You should not vent the HP10Ws. I really don't know what purpose the "venting hole" on these serve beyond being a centering hole used in the manufacturing process.

It's much too small to vent any significant amount air that can aid cooling to increase power handling (which would only be 5-10% increased anyways, and at the power levels the Boominator operates at it's completely irrelevant). The maximum power handling I recommend is about 50-60W per driver but this is not due to thermal limits, it's due to excursion limits.

And here's the kicker, the dust cap is permeable on the HP10W. That's right, air moves freely through the dust cap, so the "venting hole" is redundant. Because of this the driver probably sounds better with the hole blocked and on older versions the sticker on the back of the magnet even covered it so it was effectively blocked.

Last edited: