The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I have read through about 90% of the whole thread (skimmed some parts, and read some over 10 times) but i dont seem to find anything on this bass driver,
FaitalPRO 10FE200 10" Professional Woofer 4 Ohm | 294-1200

I remember in the start of the thread that Saturnus envied a guy who got a HP10-W that was 4 ohm (if im not wrong) and therefor hoped that i might have hit gold right here.

the sensitivity rating is at 96 dB
Frequency response from 50 (dont believe) to 4500 which seems to be where the Piezos take over.

Could anyone help me?

It might seem like some quick searches but ive found a couple that fit the critical needs for being the bass-mid range driver in the boominator build.

Here are the others:
-http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-10cbmra-10-sealed-back-midrange-speaker--290-663
-http://www.parts-express.com/selenium-10pw3-slf-10-driver--264-332
And then the first mentioned one just in 8ohm
-http://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-10mb500-10-high-power-pa-midbass-woofer-8-ohm--294-2721

I have read through about 90% of the whole thread (skimmed some parts, and read some over 10 times) but i dont seem to find anything on this bass driver,
FaitalPRO 10FE200 10" Professional Woofer 4 Ohm | 294-1200

I remember in the start of the thread that Saturnus envied a guy who got a HP10-W that was 4 ohm (if im not wrong) and therefor hoped that i might have hit gold right here.

the sensitivity rating is at 96 dB
Frequency response from 50 (dont believe) to 4500 which seems to be where the Piezos take over.

Could anyone help me?

Normal version P. Audio HP-10W or Goldwood GW1058
Pro version Eminence Basslite S2010
Signature version P. Audio SN10MB II

No substitutes!

Post #902 and #2162

edit: and #2169

Those posts seems to involve the pro version (with basslite s2010 woofer) or a 1st order passive filter (with p.audio HP10W woofer).

Looking through my notes and advice I have given elsewhere, I'd advice:

On pht407n: 2300Hz 2nd order L-R high pass, no low pass, damped -7dB, tweeter inverted

On hp10w: 2100Hz 2nd order B-W low pass, 46hz 4th order L-R high pass, no attenuation

Those are the starting points.

Now, if you find the 2khz range a little fuzzy adjust hp10w low pass down in 100hz increments to zero in on the best setting. If it's lower than 1800hz, something is wrong.

If you find the highest range a little dull, adjust damping down in +0.5dB steps (meaning less damping, so lower -dB value).

Alternatively, you can connect the tweeters in series instead of parallel so that they are 16ohm instead of 4ohm which gives -6dB damping and also saves power due to lower output and in particular higher efficiency of the amp at higher impedances. miniDSP starting point would then be -1dB.

2Khz test tone provided. Test with this tone, and note the frequency range when you listen to music to notice the changes in settings more accurately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HezO_SpYtg

Last edited:
And what about the SNii-10MB woofers? I remember having found settings for those woofers too, but can't seem to find them again. Might have seen those settings on the Facebook page. Could you add those settings to your post?

And do the tweeter outputs have to be inverted?

Last edited:
And what about the SNii-10MB woofers? I remember having found settings for those woofers too, but can't seem to find them again. Might have seen those settings on the Facebook page. Could you add those settings to your post?

And do the tweeter outputs have to be inverted?

I actually can't remember, and I haven't written it down. I did advice saxomann on it though, so maybe he can check his settings and report back?

Sure will do! When it's finished I'm also taking the Boominator to somebody here in the Netherlands to do some measurements with a microphone to find the optimal settings. Will definitely report back by then with those settings.

And what about the port/handle? I know the Pro version only needs a port length of 24mm (2 pieces of ply) instead of the 36mm depth the normal Boominator has, but what about the Signature version? Can I simulate this in WinISD? I believe it gave a port length of 26mm when tuned to 82Hz, but I don't know if I can use WinISD to do simulations on the Boominator.

Last edited:
Same port depth as original but 120x40mm, 40mmØ rounding, and 12mmØ flaring instead of 120x30mm, 30mmØ rounding, and 6mmØ flaring.

EDIT: Note to self, I really need to start compiling this information on the wiki page but I'd also like something a lot more graphically appealing than a simple wiki.

Last edited:
Hi!
I saw that you are using two maxamp recievers? I`m using one at the moment. Do you really need two? Is there a big differense? :)

//Daniel

Now i have been playing with gain structure, and minidsp advanced 4 way crossover a few hours and found a pretty nice setup.

I love the flexibility of the minidsp and i am very happy with the maxamps.

I have lowered the gain of the maxamp running the tweeters by soldering the gain points on the PCB, and attenuated the input gain in the minidsp -20db.

I cross the woofers at 3300 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 45 with LR 12db/oct filter.
I cross the tweeters at 20000 with LR 12db/oct filter, and 1500 with LR 12db/oct filter.

I compensate woofer drop of a little with the Parametric EQ after the input, and at the crossover point with the Parametric EQ at the Output channels.

I also attenuated the output gain on the tweeters -6db, and now the hiss from bluetooth is almost gone, overall gain is still good (i can play loud and clear).

The RMS meters are green all the way up and hover around -36db on the woofers and -50 on the tweeters while playing pretty loud inside my living room (using bluetooth, Spotify on full volume and macair volume on 6 dots)

I really look forward to building now, i am happy i went for 2 maxamps and a minidsp. I think it will be a super setup, and i just love the tuning flexibility it gives me :)

Any tips on gain, EQ and crossover settings in the mini are most welcome. Keep in mind that my test setup is not ideal !

The speaker compartment are to big, ca 44x32x34 cm

Goo

I am using a Minidsp digital crossover with 4 audio lines output and need a four channel amp setup.

The amp running the tweeters may not have to be a maxamp, maybe a smaller amp like a 5v 2x3w pam8403 will bee enough. However i have not tried this, and don't know if it will work ok.

I have a small pam 8403 board and may try at some point.

goo

Hmm, lets see:

I found some NiZn batteries here:
Conrad energy NiZn AA oplaadbare batterij (penlite) NiZn 1.6 V 1500 mAh 4 stuks in de Conrad online shop

1.6V 1500mAh so equalls 2.4Wh.
You'll need 8 in series get to a nominal voltage of 12.8V. 5 in parallel to get to 7.5Ah, to be able to compare them to the widely used 12V 7Ah leadacid or LiFePO4 batteries. So you'll have to buy 40 of them, which will set you back 150$, while a 12V 7Ah lead acid battery can be had for about €20 (27.25$) and a 12V 9Ah LiFePO4(which also is higher capacity) can be had for about $110. Both the lead acid and LiFePO4 batteries are easy to charge using a standard widely available lead acid charger, and both batteries only have 2 terminals, which makes them easy to use. To make a battery pack out of NiZn you will have to use quite some battery holders, and possibly a expensive charger.

They do have a higher energy/weight ratio than lead acid though. LifePO4 seems to be on par regarding to the energy/weight and energy/liters ratio. But NiZn has a self discharge rate of 8%/month, which LiFePO4 has not, furthermore, LiFePO4 can be used for over 1000 cycles, or even 2000 cycles when used properly. NiZn only last 500 cycles, or less.

So I would still say, LiFePO4 is the way to go :)

Last edited:
Depends, with the normal Boominator which only uses a single amp and no USB chargers and so on it could be enough. But it still would be risky. I assume the weather in Belgium isnt that much different from the weather here in the Netherlands, also having the possibility of some very cloudy days in the summer. Day after day. It would be a shame to not be able to use your Boominator while at a festival or something similar because the battery is only 1.5Ah while a 7Ah leadacid battery can be had for less money. It's lighter, yep, but the normal Boominator isn't that lightweight at all, so the minor decrease in total weight isn't worth it for me.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject of batteries; I had my batterpack spot welded yesterday and finished wiring the BMS today:
IMG_2125Medium_zpsf0d1dced.jpg

IMG_2126Medium_zpsbfa22f2d.jpg

IMG_2128Medium_zps713eb412.jpg

Together with the 100W power supply I'm going to use:
IMG_2131Medium_zpsad978275.jpg

Worked out exactly as I wanted to. Each pack has 10 3100mAh cells, good for a nominal voltage of 18.5V and 6200mAh.

Last edited: