The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 241 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 01:18 PM   #2401
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

We use an Amp9-Basic, but we connect channel 1-2 and 3-4 together to act as only 2 outputs to play louder (I believe), så then there would be no available output for a subwoofer. But why not install a mono amplifier and battery in the subwoofer itself, making it an active subwoofer that doesn't drain the Boominator's battery? That's our plan for next year.

Otherwise I like your idea of splitting the Boominator in two!
Old 10th November 2011, 03:41 PM   #2402
diyAudio Member

Hi ThokN,
yes, using the AMP9 seems to be a good choice for "upgrading" the maximum output power by using higher supply voltage. My concept now looks like the drawing in the attachment:
- The left half-Bomminator is the "ultra mobile" part. So only amp9, battery and one pair of chassis and maybe a battery charger. The double switch is for switching between battery use or power supply use (and charging)
- The right half Boominator contains a power supply with e.g. 24V/10A
Attached Images
File Type: png 2HalfBoominatorsConcept.png (112.4 KB, 503 views)
Old 10th November 2011, 09:18 PM   #2403
diyAudio Member

The AMP9-B has four outputs and four inputs. If you connect it according to your schematics, then the amp will fry. If you have a signal connected to an input you also need to have a load on the output.
This can be a problem in your situation. If you disconnect the right-boominator, then you need to connect a dummy load to the output instead. If you forget to do this and start playing music the chip will be damaged.
You can also have both left and right channel in both the left and the right boominator, so the load just goes from 4 to 8 Ohm when you disconnect the right-boominator. The problem with this is that you have a magnet-to-magnet setup but with two different signals, unless you build two separate compartments in each boominator for the drivers and piezos.
A third solution is to parallel and go for mono instead of stereo. Then you will always have load on the channel (2 or 4 Ohm), and your magnet-to-magnet drivers will play the same signal.
There might be a better solution, but I'm a novice when it comes to audio, and have yet a lot to learn.
Old 13th November 2011, 06:05 PM   #2404
diyAudio Member

Default Noob Build

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to make a portable boombox for our dance group. Based on this thread, I've come up with the following part list,

1 Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer (PE)

1 Constant Directivity Horn (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-049)

1 LFP Battery (12.8V, 1.8 Ah) (Customize LiFePO4 14505 Battery: 12.8V 1800 mAh ( 23Wh, 4S3P Flat Pack, 2A rate))

1 Smart Charger (Smart Charger (0.7 A) for 12.8V (4cells) LiFePO4 Battery Pack, 100-240VAC, CE listed)

Total costs so far: ~$110

I know I still need an amp, and that's where the difficulty comes in. Since we don't really use stereo sound, we only need a mono amp. However, we need to get as much power as we can out of the amp, matching the drivers/tweeter. This is because there are several dance groups in the area we practice, and sometimes we can barely hear our music.

Based on the specs on my driver/tweeter, I would want an amp that is 1x200W, correct? at 8 ohm or 4 ohm, as one could parallel the driver and tweeter? Does anyone know where I could find an amp like that? (class D, of course, preferably based on TA2050 chip? or something like that). Thanks for your help.

Also, does that battery have enough playing time for ~ 10 hours at a high volume?

Last edited by spartan711; 13th November 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added paralleling
Old 17th November 2011, 05:35 PM   #2405
diyAudio Member

Hi, I am planning to do a small boom box out of two 6x9's with a T-amp. Is that a good idea? Will I be able to play loud enough? The reason I am not building a boominator is because it's too heavy, and I am boot very good at building stuff...
Old 17th November 2011, 08:12 PM   #2406
diyAudio Member

It won't play very loud or well. Best advice is to just bite the bullet and head for the gym, or get friends that will help you carry the Boominator. Or put wheels on it.
Old 17th November 2011, 08:22 PM   #2407
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfiken View Post
Hi, I am planning to do a small boom box out of two 6x9's with a T-amp. Is that a good idea? Will I be able to play loud enough? The reason I am not building a boominator is because it's too heavy, and I am boot very good at building stuff...
Are 6x9's typical car speakers? If so, don't. Why not use car speakers for a boombox?

You can always build a half boominator, if the big version is to heavy.
Just don't expect that you will get the same sound from boxed car speakers.

If you want a small speaker, then the the Monacor SP 60 are liked by many. I don't have any experience with it myself though. SP-60/4
Old 17th November 2011, 09:01 PM   #2408
diyAudio Member

Could I use 1 10" bass and 1 peizo? Would that work?

I am a moutain of muscles , so thats not the problem. I want something that I can use all the summer, without having to lift 40 kilos...

Last edited by nyfiken; 17th November 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:37 PM   #2409
diyAudio Member

The Boominator is 25kg in the heaviest version including 5kg in batteries. The lightest version you can build is 13kg including 1kg in batteries. It's quite a range.
Old 18th November 2011, 08:52 AM   #2410
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
The Boominator is 25kg in the heaviest version including 5kg in batteries. The lightest version you can build is 13kg including 1kg in batteries. It's quite a range.
Could I build a halfinator with a http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-A1-TA20...#ht_9058wt_985 ? Is there a drawing available of the halfinator?

Hide this!Advertise here!