The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I have two amp6 basics that I ended up not using on another project. Would i be able to use both amps in the full sized bomminator? I planned on making the center compartment a bit bigger to accomodate 2 - 12v 15ah SLA batteries and run one to each amp. Would someone be able to help me with the wiring, as all the schematics in the thread are for 2 channels instead of four. I will be using the Goldwoods and the Original Motorla/KSN1001A. Thanks

Last edited:
One 30ah with the amps in parallel seems a better option to me. Try to get 4 ohms woofers, otherwise it won't make much difference with two woofers in parallel on one amp.

The Boominator Micro laser cutting file is coming along nice:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It doesn't fit on one sheet as you see. Total surface is +/- 0.35 m2. With birch plywood the total cost would be under 10 dollars. That's real cheap :).

Saturnus, tweeter cutouts in Sketchup are 33mm instead of the 33.5mm Dayton suggests. Seems like it will be a precise fit so it wouldn't hurt to take the exact dimensions right?

And of course the file has to be converted to vector lines but otherwise it won't be visible ;)

Not trying to be impatient but can you offer us any ETA on these new plans? Or maybe let us know what you are working on? Would be highly appreciated I think!

There are a few things. Your own arguments made me recheck my data and it turns out the T/S data I had for an SP60/8 was a tiny bit off so the speaker compartment volume has to be increased by about 3%. Also because I forgot to incorporate the volume of the filter components which is quite embarrassing. Well, actually, I didn't forget the volume of the parts, just that I moved the placement of them from the electronics compartment to the speaker compartments.

At the same time I have researched data from wood suppliers and it turns out that "6mm plywood" actually average 6.5mm from most suppliers so the cabinet either has to be made 1.5mm larger in general, or substitute the double fronts with normal 12mm plywood making it easier to assemble in general. The 0.5mm extra does have many implications though, so it'll have to be reworked more or less from scratch.

Since this affects the central electronics compartment too, I decided to make that larger as well probably to the relief of many that wouldn't know how stuff all their electronics into that tight a space. Overall size will be 50mm longer in total.

I hope to have the revised plans done before the end of this weekend.

Last edited:
Too bad, I really liked the idea of having a 27mm electronics compartment :D. Makes a real challenge to fit everything in. It would have been possible with 4 26650 cells. I bought 4 A123 nano phosphate cells for this purpose. Lower capacity, but will last practically forever. But I agree, most builders will probably like the idea of a larger electronics compartment.

Last edited:
Too bad, I really liked the idea of having a 27mm electronics compartment :D. Makes a real challenge to fit everything in. But it would have been possible with 4 26650 cells. I bought 4 A123 nano phosphate cells for this purpose. Lower capacity, but will last practically forever.

You can still do that. And the 26650 cells will still fit. Just vertically instead of horizontally. Or you can just route out the part in the fronts where the batteries are placed.

Last edited:
I'm planning on using 9mm plywood like I did with my previous boombox since then I can use the same building techniques. However, with 9mm plywood I need to put some more space between the magnets, so I will add 9mm on both sides of the bracing for a total of 27mm.

You mentioned that for these small woofers the efficiency increase due to driver back to back mounting is very small. So I can safely assume spacing the drivers apart a little more will have no real negative influences?

A3E7D7D7-5D88-4A89-814C-AF3F1C8CC748_zpsj7x8rwo9.jpg

2ED3C5AE-4287-42BF-A590-1BB397A6B796_zpslyigfyrl.jpg

Fits like a glove ;)