The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 179 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2011, 10:25 AM   #1781
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Okay. I'm almost done with my boombox. However, now I really need your help. I'm at the electronics part and I want to be absolutely sure that what I'm doing is right. Messing things up now would be catastrophic

Here's a picture of how I intend to connect it all (I'm certain that I've connected the speakers right):

Click the image to open in full size.

Questions:
1. Does everything look right?
2. Is it needed to cut off both wires to the solar panels when I want to charge using a normal charger? My switch is a 2 way switch so it can turn on/off on 2 wires.
3. I've just connected everything except the solar panels to one battery (the battery that is not directly connected to the amp) - is it safe?

Thanks Saturnus or anyone else who might want to answer. I don't want to screw anything up this close to the festival.

EDIT: I'm using the same 8V open voltage 5 W panels as Phaedras.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:47 AM   #1782
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Questions:
2. Is it needed to cut off both wires to the solar panels when I want to charge using a normal charger? My switch is a 2 way switch so it can turn on/off on 2 wires.
3. I've just connected everything except the solar panels to one battery (the battery that is not directly connected to the amp) - is it safe?
1. Technically yes but with one caveat which I'll get back to under 3
2. You only need to cut the wire in 1 place to cut the circuit, I'd recommend a diode to ensure your batteries don't discharge into the panels though if it's not included in the panels but I think it is.
3. Not really. You connect all pluses to the plus on one battery and all the minuses to the minus on the other battery and then have thick cables connecting the batteries.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:49 AM   #1783
diyAudio Member

Just a few questions which came to my mind after seeing Rubennns schematic.
  • Is it needed to disconnect the amp while charging the batteries with a charger?
  • Is it better to have a switch from the batteries to the amp or use the sleep function built into the amp to turn it off?
Old 15th June 2011, 11:07 AM   #1784
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Okay. I'm almost done with my boombox. However, now I really need your help. I'm at the electronics part and I want to be absolutely sure that what I'm doing is right. Messing things up now would be catastrophic

Here's a picture of how I intend to connect it all (I'm certain that I've connected the speakers right):

Questions:

Thanks Saturnus or anyone else who might want to answer. I don't want to screw anything up this close to the festival.

EDIT: I'm using the same 8V open voltage 5 W panels as Phaedras.
How do you intend to mount that many wires onto a single battery? I'm looking for a solution to doing that
Old 15th June 2011, 11:07 AM   #1785
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

So this is how I should connect everything? I hope I'm not being silly here.

EDIT:
Quote:
How do you intend to mount that many wires onto a single battery? I'm looking for a solution to doing that
Soldering?
Old 15th June 2011, 11:09 AM   #1786
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielClark91 View Post
Just a few questions which came to my mind after seeing Rubennns schematic.
  • Is it needed to disconnect the amp while charging the batteries with a charger?
  • Is it better to have a switch from the batteries to the amp or use the sleep function built into the amp to turn it off?
1. Not really, a charger doesn't like it if you play on it while charging unless the charger is specifically designed to do so though but the power consumtion of the amp in idle makes no difference to the charger.

2. Use the sleep function, or just let it be on at all times. Idle consumption is only 60mA, or 0.7W, and in sleep mode it's 5mA, or 0.06W.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:10 AM   #1787
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So this is how I should connect everything? I hope I'm not being silly here.

Jep, thats correct. atleast for the batteries, i'm not sure how the on/off switches will work when set up like this, but i guess since there wont be flowing current when a switch is off anyways, it should work?

Actually, also when charging two batteries in parallel, you should put + on one battery and - on the other. I guess this is the same for when using the batteries. Thanks for the insight saturnes, seems like I will have to redo my power cables a little bit. I thought it only was when you charged the batteries.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:12 AM   #1788
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielClark91 View Post
Jep, thats correct.
Actually, also when charging two batteries in parallel, you should put + on one battery and - on the other. I guess this is the same for when using the batteries. Thanks for the insight saturnes, seems like I will have to redo my power cables a little bit. I thought it only was when you charged the batteries.
The point is to get the batteries to act as one instead of 2 separate ones, and that must be done both while charging and discharging.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:15 AM   #1789
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbaz View Post

You can also do what I do and have a central connection point for all pluses and minuses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg central.JPG (10.3 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by Saturnus; 15th June 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:15 AM   #1790
Wubbaz is offline Wubbaz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Soldering?
I was just thinking there might be a solution that made it easier to disconnect stuff from the batteries than soldering.. I might be wrong tho

Quote:
You can also do what I do and have a central connection point for all pluses and minuses.
I was thinking something along these lines aswell.. I was just wondering how to do it in practice.. how did you make it?

Last edited by Wubbaz; 15th June 2011 at 11:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!