My latest Patek rip-off GC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello all,

I've been looking for a place to show off my newest gainclone :D. Couldn't really find any ongoing threads for it so I thought I'd start a new one. Well, here it is.

A blatant rip-off of a Peter Daniel "Patek" clone (hmm, a rip-off of a clone ;)).

Anyway, I finally understand what all the fuss about those clones is about; it sounds surprisingly good. After having built a couple of amps for testing purposes I came up with this one. Or actually, I agreed on the opinion of many other people that the following specs are pretty good.

2x Rubycon BG 1000uF 50V
1x rubycon BG 4.7uF bipolar input cap
Riken Ohm for setting gain: 22K/1K
-> I've just ordered some 22K Caddocks
Standard carbon 1W for the rest.

It's been playing for about 8 hours now and already it outperforms my previous GC's.

A few pic's.

(mods: if you guys think this shouldn't be a separate thread move it somewhere else !)

Attachments

• dsc00133.jpg
    dsc00133.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,102
thank you peter. :)
(what ways are you referring to btw?)

well, with this amp being my standard amp for the time being i'm looking for an active pre. Does anyone have any ideas what goes well with a GC? I'm actually looking for a simple tube preamp... No phono stage needed (as i won't be using any vinyl)

sorry analogue fans but those things are way out of my budget for now...

thanks nuuk, i was thinking about something like this . most of the site is in dutch though so here's another link (schematics) .

Triodedick has a *lot* of tube amps on his site -hence the name- (some stories are in english) including some very nice 300B's (and a 211 whoo!!).

ron: haven't tried it yet, maybe i'll rip the battery out of my car (and my dad's car.... and my mom's car...)

hi peter.

in my previous amps I used onsemi mur840's and mbr840's. Can't really decide which i like best. the regular bridged sound a little soft (which is nice), the mur840's sound a little harsh (which is nice when playing rock music) and the mbr840s sound somewhere in between the previous two. Which is nice aswell.

dilemma ;)

I don' really know what's going on btw but sound sound quality is varying with the hour. Bass was sloppy all of a sudden and now it's tight as hell. blackgates burning in ??

Well, this amp is not a space shuttle and since only 3 parts are required, it would be extremally stupid to use PCB.

I bet you can't do this type of assembly with a PCB: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22733&highlight=

And 2 dimentional plane here would actually introduce more complications than improvement. Are you gonna argue that wiring is not OK here as well? Because I don't see any wiring.

PCB or not PCB

Minimal count of devices around typical integrated power amp is approximately eight, not three. Pics which you show me, I take as good for prototype, not as like final work - if is it enought good for you, my professional honesty say no. In this case we are probably quite different - I mean, that DIY may be made the same as the best profi product and man should not to say "..it play, let it be..." .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.