My latest Patek rip-off GC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I have just completed a Patek G.C. casing. This is how it looks like from the BACK.

I'm trying to complete the whole amp by end of next week.

regards,
Tony Wong :D

Attachments

• dscf0052.jpg
    dscf0052.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 832
Now, that is one serious Patek;)

It is much easier to built than a conventional GainCard chassis and I think it has a chance to sound better. Here how I integrated a temporary volume pot with the amp. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=272585
The amp doesn't really allow for one pot inside and I don't want to use two separate pots.

Maybe a Patek Gallery should be in order?

It's not recommended to use the same screw for mounting the chips. First of all, they are not mounted the same, but positioned in such way that outputs on both channels are closer to back panel and pins are at the same height . A copper bar is used to hold the chip (so 2 holes are needed). I'm using cordless screwdriver so torque is the same (lowest value).

You are right that he might equal me on that one (although he didn't use premium materials: copper and bronze ;)).

he Patek offers some interesting design options. I drew one up on CAD and you can place the pot very close to the chip pins and it cuts down on HS area. I need to scrounge up a design using the hammond enclosures that wont take major cutting.
Good job Peter!
ron

moe29 said:
Peter, i still can't get over that picture of your volume control...
were you having a bad weekend?? ;)

You are not far from truth. I had a bad weekend after transformer volume control stage was taken away from my system and out of desperation I created this;) It sounds pretty good and eliminates the need for an additional interconnect.

OK, Patek makes since now... and a very good description. Some
of the point-to-point work being done here does look like fine
Swiss watch making. I think there's a real beauty to PTP work
that makes PCB work look sterile. We live in a 3-D world so this
type of PTP construction makes sense - not only in looks, but in
sound quality too. This GC work got me to try PTP when i modified
my SOZ to X. I try to keep an open mind - things seem to go
smoother that way, plus every once in a while you learn something! :nod:

Hi!

Peter Daniel said:
Patek is a watch maker, better than Rolex. If you consider a GainCard as a Rolex of chip amps, you know what Patek amp means;)

Then give us all a special gift for xmas and build a Muller GC (really spelt with "u", not with "ue"). Ask a serious watches freak who (or what) Muller is... In relation to Patek, you could charge up to about 25 - 30 times as much for a Muller GC than for a Patek GC :xeye:

Seriously, very beautiful cases.

Bye,

Arndt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.