My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a late start, but I'm catching up. Went green to match the color of some other boards that might be in the final build.

Attachments

• G0.JPG
    G0.JPG
    872.4 KB · Views: 309
Roberto et All,

I don't know if it could be your problem, but I hope so - it would be much simpler. I just found a mis-shipment from Mouser. The envelope marked R-21 had a 221K and a 2.4 K. I try to check everything but I noticed the different color codes as soon as I opened it. I believe Dario's pics at the beginning of this thread should be used as a guide.

I could have very easily installed the wrong value. So measure all you can and don't trust the writing on a label.

Roberto et All,

I don't know if it could be your problem, but I hope so - it would be much simpler. I just found a mis-shipment from Mouser. The envelope marked R-21 had a 221K and a 2.4 K. I try to check everything but I noticed the different color codes as soon as I opened it. I believe Dario's pics at the beginning of this thread should be used as a guide.

I could have very easily installed the wrong value. So measure all you can and don't trust the writing on a label.
Thanks Bob, I'll check more accurately all the components.

Relays and LEDs on first power up.

DC offset < 2 mV both sides.

14.55, -14.5 @ C102,C202

Early impression, very detailed, dynamic, very clear.

FE_RC_test_board.JPG

Before you guys try to politely explain the correct direction for a heatsink, let me explain that my final application of these boards will be mounted vertically on the back of each speaker. In this photo, the test board is tilted about 45 degrees and they seem to run cool enough.

One other caveat. My system runs a feedback subwoofer with an active cutoff at about 100 Hz. I won't have any comments on bass because the sub handles that. In fact, because the FE's have a higher gain than the sub was originally designed for, I actually lost a touch of bass level. I'll clean that up in the next (balanced) version of the subwoofer board.

Last edited:
Smiling all the way!

Very nice. The mid-bass filled in quite nicely with some burn-in. This is a nice combination of detail and full sound. YeeHaa!

I don't have anything really good to compare it to, but so far this is clearly the best my system has ever sounded.

Someone asked for a brief description of each system. Mine is a satellite/subwoofer system. The satellite's are DIY using Dynaudio tweeter and mid-bass. These are powered by the FE. The subwoofer uses an accelerometer for a closed loop feedback and is powered by a Randy Slone 500 Watt amp. The subwoofer amp has an active crossover that splits the sub and satellite signals at line level.

Volume is currently controlled by a bare pot controlling a signal from a Yulong D18 DAC. The DAC is fed by a Squeezebox Touch that gets music at 16 bit/44k Hz by wireless from my computer and an external hard drive.

I would describe the sound of the system as a focused image, somewhat forward sound. That is probably quite different from Bob's Sunflower's which I assume gives a big image, omni speaker feel. It is quite an accomplishment that the FE seems to work very well with a wide variety of speaker types.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.