The new "My Ref" Rev C thread - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2009, 09:34 PM   #711
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

So who wants to do a ridiculously crazy over the top group buy with BlackGate electrolytics, Mundorf input caps, Caddock, Mills or Riken resistors, MUR860 rectifiers, Plitron transformers, Wima .22uf caps or whatever the guys suggest here? Silver plated boards of course. Do you think it would be worth it? Any discussion on that is invited. It wouldnt need to be big. Maybe 10-20 stereo kits.
Seriously Its run through my head a few times and while I dont think more than one or two people would be into it, maybe I am wrong.
Uriah
Old 14th May 2009, 09:59 PM   #712
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by troystg
ClaveFremen and Madisonears-

I really appreciate the work on parts optimization!...

I can't wait to make my second set with the mods and compare the difference!
Thank you troystg, you're welcome!

I can't wait too to read your impressions

Quote:
Originally posted by udailey
So who wants to do a ridiculously crazy over the top group buy with BlackGate electrolytics, Mundorf input caps, Caddock, Mills or Riken resistors, MUR860 rectifiers, Plitron transformers, Wima .22uf caps or whatever the guys suggest here? Silver plated boards of course. Do you think it would be worth it? Any discussion on that is invited.
Wow, Uriah!

I've already R-Cores, MUR860, Nichicon KG big caps, Mundorf Zn input caps and Takman and Dale RN55 resistors and, of course, all my mods...

I think I'm fine...

I really don't know if resistors, MUR860 and R-Cores makes any difference, someone else has to try

I suspect that caps makes the biggest difference...

PS
Mundorf Zns now sounds better without bypass, burn-in?
Old 14th May 2009, 10:09 PM   #713
diyAudio Member

I dont know if they sound better or not as I have never had them in my system. And my system broke during our move then I shipped my boards off to a friend and am running a $35 TAmp from PartsExpress. I need something new. Maybe this idea, maybe F5. I am not fighting for it, but if a few people think its something they want to do then its worth a try.
uriah
Old 14th May 2009, 10:11 PM   #714
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

I read the parts and said "wow, r cores"... Then read further and had to comment.

There has been enough discussion on R-cores to make me think that they do help.

I wish they were more widely available around here.

But yes I do agree that the caps prolly make the BIGGEST difference.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:19 PM   #715
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I dont know if they sound better or not as I have never had them in my system. And my system broke during our move then I shipped my boards off to a friend and am running a $35 TAmp from PartsExpress. I need something new. Maybe this idea, maybe F5. I am not fighting for it, but if a few people think its something they want to do then its worth a try.
uriah

After owning Bryston, Levinson, Jeff Rowland and McIntosh amps I can safely say I am perfectly content with the sound from these little giants.

I struggled with the assembly of the 41Hz Amp 32 and I have not yet built my UcD 180's to listen to Class-D but I doubt they will be a HUGE revelation to make me abandon Mauro's design.

He did so much with common parts to PROVE that the whole can be greater than the sum of parts..
Old 14th May 2009, 10:33 PM   #716
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by troystg
I read the parts and said "wow, r cores"... Then read further and had to comment.

There has been enough discussion on R-cores to make me think that they do help.

I wish they were more widely available around here.

But yes I do agree that the caps prolly make the BIGGEST difference.
I'm pretty sure R-Cores are better than toroids (I've bought them for that reason... ), less loss, less HF noise, less voltage drop and so on...

but in a Class A amp their influence is big, in a Class AB one probably is bigger the one of 10000 uF caps...

I think I wouldn't spend 55+VAT on a Nuvotem encapsulated toroid (the one that Mauro suggests) to confirm that my R-Cores sounds better
Old 14th May 2009, 11:03 PM   #717
diyAudio Member

TeaBag has been trying RCores on his F5 but claims they make to much noise. He has only tried one though so it could be a cheapie. I dont know the make of it. I guess there are a few guys including him that are sound testing transformers on the F5.
Uriah
Old 14th May 2009, 11:11 PM   #718
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
TeaBag has been trying RCores on his F5 but claims they make to much noise. He has only tried one though so it could be a cheapie. I dont know the make of it.
Mines are made in India by Shilchar and are deadly silent (noise from the pre is ten times the one of my MyRef... and you have to put your ears on tweeters to ear it )
Old 15th May 2009, 12:17 AM   #719
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I once ordered R-core and O-core samples, which the manufacturer claimed to be of same rating and same core material. It turned out that the O-core produced much more bass than the R-core.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:22 AM   #720
diyAudio Member

So transformers CAN sound different !!
Thats pretty cool. It seems like the power supply is one of the most important parts of good sound.
My best chip amp with LM3886TF was with Antek toroid and Nelson Pass F5 power supply of 120kuF, but many people, including me have built them with only 20kuf. It had more punch to the bass and mids.
Never even heard of an O core, unless you mean toroid. Is that what you mean?
Uriah

Hide this!Advertise here!