legacy Car Audio Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
minitruck_freq said:
what is your budget? are the subs single or dual voice coil? what ohm voice coils?

Looking at Fantom Force, a website my friend pointed me to, the amps with this sort of rating are in the $130-$200 range.

I’m looking at amplifiers and subs so that I can work out a sensible budget. The subs are £200 each so I'm looking at ~£800 total, so hopefully I can get some amps under £200 (currently ~$350) each.

The subs are single voice coil, stated as 5.5R.
The Subs

You can't get 1000 watts for $100.

Legacy, Pyle, Pyramid, Power Acoustik, Volfenhag (sp) etc that sell new-in-the-box amps for $100 on eBay are all pieces of crap. They only make 1/4 or less of the power that they claim. I've seen "1000 watt" amplifiers with 15 amp fuses. Figure it out.

Try JBL, Soundstream, and Clarion. All have high power Class D amps at reasonable prices that'll make advertised power, sound good, and last more than a month.

They don't cost $100 tho.

maylar said:
You can't get 1000 watts for $100.

Legacy, Pyle, Pyramid, Power Acoustik, Volfenhag (sp) etc that sell new-in-the-box amps for $100 on eBay are all pieces of crap. They only make 1/4 or less of the power that they claim. I've seen "1000 watt" amplifiers with 15 amp fuses. Figure it out.

Try JBL, Soundstream, and Clarion. All have high power Class D amps at reasonable prices that'll make advertised power, sound good, and last more than a month.

They don't cost $100 tho.

I realise that a 1000W amp will need a ~100A fuse if it is 85% effecient and is run from 12v.

I will look at JBL, Soundstream and Clarion as you suggested.

I realise this. I just dont know what price range I am looking at. Hopefully the JBL, Soundstream and Clarion websites will help.

Thanks for the advice.

the best cheapest bang for the buck is the jbl 1200.1. I own one and it was bench tested @ 1300w RMS @12v (and its only rated for 1200rms @12), so they are very good amps. like said before, power acoustik, pyle, volfenhang, legacy are all crap and underrated like crazy -- dont even waste your cash. ive also never heard of the subs you are looking at -- i wouldnt buy them just bc they are huge and massive, do u have reviews of them?

-chris

zx3chris said:
the best cheapest bang for the buck is the jbl 1200.1. I own one and it was bench tested @ 1300w RMS @12v (and its only rated for 1200rms @12), so they are very good amps. like said before, power acoustik, pyle, volfenhang, legacy are all crap and underrated like crazy -- dont even waste your cash. ive also never heard of the subs you are looking at -- i wouldnt buy them just bc they are huge and massive, do u have reviews of them?

-chris

Thanks for the second opinion.

I was helped to design a horn with them. 40-300Hz @ 130dB+ with 1000W RMS. :devilr:

its impossible to make a bass horn in a car -- regardless, getting 130db @ 40hz is easy now -- even with a small <1.0 cubic feet and 1 10" subwoofer.. You need decent equipment. Look at adire audio's brahma, or a JL audio w7, or Resonant engineering XXX. BTW, my car is setup for SQ and i am mid 130db's with 2 jl10w0's

-chris

zx3chris said:
its impossible to make a bass horn in a car -- regardless, getting 130db @ 40hz is easy now -- even with a small <1.0 cubic feet and 1 10" subwoofer.. You need decent equipment. Look at adire audio's brahma, or a JL audio w7, or Resonant engineering XXX. BTW, my car is setup for SQ and i am mid 130db's with 2 jl10w0's

-chris

"SQ"?

djQUAN said:
proper design of enclosures could make a good sub sound like crap on the other hand......

I have a pair of very crappy 10's I got for US$13.3 adn installed them in a slot loaded box, powered with a good amp and puts out almost 130db in car. not to mention the good low freq extension.

Could you give deatails of your setups?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.