My own Version of Mark Kelly's Speed Controller - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2007, 09:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My own Version of Mark Kelly's Speed Controller

Here my version 1.0 of the Mark's Kelly DC Motor Speed Controller. Since I missed the original Group Buy, and that Mark said that he didn't want use to copy is PCB layout, I design my own PCB. Mark also mentionned that his schematic can be use freely.

I did a few modifications since my own application was slightly different as well:
-Internal Battery charger, no more wall adapter.
-Just one speed supported.
-Battery included inside the controller case. Provision for an external battery connector if a outside bigger battery is needed.
-Design a small PCB to contains the two switches and the leds battery charger conditions. Included the blue power on led as well.
-The case will be make of brush aluminium and birch plywood and will match my Tecnodec platform look because they will sit side by side.

Here the PCB. The notch on the side is where the 2.2AH battery will be located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcb_ver 1.0_small.jpg (49.0 KB, 4919 views)
Old 14th March 2007, 05:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That would appear to have been done with the full version of Eagle.

Very neat job, I like it a lot.
Old 14th March 2007, 06:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Indeed. My only limitation is the PCB material, 6"X9" double sides.
Thanks for your kind comments.

Just verified it yesterday and made a few corrections. If your schematics was exact, it should work nicely. I can send you hires images or pdf or gerber of the PCB if you like.

I will build it this weekend.

Thanks again Mark for sharing your design
Old 4th April 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey Algar

Nice job. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your artwork and save the effort of re-doing the schematic capture and layout?

PDF's would be fine as I do small scale PCB's with "press'n'peel" off the laser?

Here's hoping

Pablo
Old 4th April 2007, 05:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes. I can post the PDF file if they are not too big. I was able to buy fro 2$ a nice little 12V DC motor to try my own motor controller PCB. I don't want to try my prototype on my actual turntable motor, just in case.

The prototype is about 50% tested. I found some corrections to be done on the PCB. The last version 1.2 will incorporate these corrections. I'm working on the enclosure. It will be done in birtch plywood to match my turntable insulation platform look.
Old 4th April 2007, 05:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is how I built the controller enclosure using slice of birch plywood. I started with the sheet of plywood cut to dimensions. Then using an hole saw for the corners and a router I removed the inside. Finally, I glued the parts together to get the enclosure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building the enclosure.jpg (75.7 KB, 4186 views)
Old 4th April 2007, 05:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here the PCB's fitted on the base plate with the battery, before I assembled the casing slices.

The enclosure's top will be made of a sheet of brush aluminium. The bottom is rigid, made of 1/8 alu. The transistors heatsink L-Shape piece of aluminium (seen on picture) further increase the base plate rigidity.

The Led & Switched small PCB can be seen on the front. To access the inside of the controller, I just need to unscrew the base plate and slide out gently the base plate. The front PCB allows the led and switches to just slide-out of the front panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcb fitted on the base plate_small.jpg (55.3 KB, 4360 views)
Old 4th April 2007, 05:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I installed a rear plate on the back to receive the connectors. I will also have access from the back to the speed multi-turn adjustement potentiometer. The piece of alu is inserted into the wood for a better look.

The casing top slice can be seen also on the picture. It is mostly complete except for the top battery clearance space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear plate_small.jpg (68.9 KB, 3809 views)
Old 4th April 2007, 05:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here the front panel view. On the left, the Power-On and Charge switches, then the four leds: Battery Ok (Grn), Charge (Red), Trickle charge (Yel) and Power On (Blue). Battery clearance can be seen on the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_small.jpg (69.9 KB, 3668 views)
Old 4th April 2007, 05:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

And finally the top view, showing the pcb inside. The battery is not shown for clarity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top_small.jpg (43.9 KB, 2441 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!