Opus 3 Cantus parallel tracking arm - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 03:10 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter
Ill keep that in mind

Regards
Pix
Sweden
Old 23rd April 2010, 03:50 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
the more I am convinced a similar arm could be done, but with exterior rollers rather than internal

I was thinking along similar line. Instead of glass tube, I wonder if we can make the track to be a v-shaped track or bar, much like the Laadegard arm, and have the two rolling bearings riding inside this V-track, which can be made from an aluminum bar. I do realize the vertical movement might be too inhibiting and won't have the rolling smoothness of a glass tube like the Cantus.

Click the image to open in full size.

Or can use a convex bearing to get a better vertical rolling movement.

Or the convex bearing on two rods.

Old 23rd April 2010, 05:12 PM   #63
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Murray et al...

here's a png of the DIY version of the Cantus3 me and Murray started work on last year. This was worked back from a photo, so dims may be wrong. Me and Murray also worked up an external "carriage" type that shows some promise, but may be heavier than the Cantus.

I actually would be interested in contacting Bo directly (I have an interesting for him to ponder).

Directdriver: I can't see why the last type wouldn't work, just seperate the metal rods a little more...
Attached Images
File Type: png Best_working DIY Best cantus 2_04_25.png (50.8 KB, 634 views)
File Type: png Best_working DIY Best cantus 2_o425~.png (12.1 KB, 632 views)

Last edited by Nanook; 23rd April 2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: comments re:directdriver.
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:05 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Stew: a stainless steel tube would do just fine, I don't think that glass has any special advantage. Take a look at the Nottingham arm in the pictures above as this is essentially what you describe though the tube the bearing rides upon is small in diametre.
The advantage that is gained by running inside the tube is that of having geometry and gravity work together to automatically reposition the trolley to its intended position in the tube should the cartridge have to track a severe warp.
Bo's primary goal is to translate as much physical motion (at the stylus tip) into electrical energy (signal output) as is possible. This means that you have to have a rigid system to prevent loss. The horizontal trolley is about as close to this as is possible. The vertical motion through the intended bearing sideways play permits arm rotation which must be there to accommodate record warps yields to the design goal only enough to do the job under real world conditions. The system is non resonant and incredibly rigid.

Last edited by moray james; 23rd April 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:40 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Look Moray.....wait 'til you get hold of one of them yourself.

As a highly qualified Mechanical Engineer, I can assure you that using a combination of different materials, (Hardened Steel Balls to Very Hard Glass) has massive benefits in eliminating vibrations, caused by Rolling Friction.

Metal to Metal "Sings". Try a couple of Cymbels!!

And this "Intended bearing sideways play" is just a fairy-tale. The Trolley rotates up the Inside Wall of the Glass Tube to accomandate Record Warps.

LUVP.
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:39 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Peter: my comments here are given in the context of DIY. Most DIY builders do not have the ability to machine a glass tube. A stainless tube can be machined and polished to a precision inside diametre at any good machine shop or by those with the know how and their own equipment. This would I expect result in satisfactory results. I agree that the combination chosen by Bo is probably offers the best outcome and performance for the reasons you stated.
I had mentioned that the trolley would move up the inside of the tube during sever warps. I was under the impression that it was either Rauna or yourself that spoke about the bearings used and that they have built in play in the race to allow for arm motion. If I am in error then I apologize for misleading readers and stand corrected. I will re read correspondence to see where this impression originated.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:20 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Please re-read #57......Bosse will provide the hard part!

LUVP.
Old 28th April 2010, 02:12 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

COPYCAT?!

Looks like Clearaudio has similar product in the TT2 arm, less extravagant than the Statement arm. Looks closely at the glass tube, it's just like the Cantus!

Old 28th April 2010, 05:02 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

look at the statement it is a Cantus (horizontal trolley and bearings)with a tube arm wand which does not sound as good as what Bo does. Discussed this with Bo last year and he went through all sorts of arm wands and said that no matter how he damped a large tube wand the resonance was audible. While Cantus is not so fancy it is a fabulous deal for a great tonearm.
Old 28th April 2010, 05:24 AM   #70
bgruhn is offline bgruhn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default V shaped track plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
I was thinking along similar line. Instead of glass tube, I wonder if we can make the track to be a v-shaped track or bar, much like the Laadegard arm, and have the two rolling bearings riding inside this V-track, which can be made from an aluminum bar. I do realize the vertical movement might be too inhibiting and won't have the rolling smoothness of a glass tube like the Cantus.

Or can use a convex bearing to get a better vertical rolling movement.

Or the convex bearing on two rods.

Hi all, Been thinking along these lines for a few weeks now since I found a couple of miniature precision ball bearings in the junk box. They felt pretty smooth so today I built up a prototype using left over aluminium v Chanel from a Laadergard experiment. Made one significant change to the idea. Instead of having the bearings run on a metallic surface I cut slips of good old float glass (aka window glass) and glued them to the metal Chanel. Viola! as they say in fractured French. Built up a crude carriage and arm and set the contraption to playing a few records. TT was not level by a long shot. The bearings need to have the old grease flushed out. Maybe get some new ones. The whole jury rig leaves a lot to be desired, but you better beleive it works and sounds great. To crown the insult I was using an old Radio Shack version of the Shure cartridge. Shure isn't an Ortofon OM40 but the sound was surprisingly good. I expect to do some refining and then will write up a more detailed report.

Prior to using the V Chanel I cut a nice slot in a piece of aluminnium tubing and slid in 2 glass pieces. That is what may be a better wat to handle the idea. My only problem was that the bearings on hand were just a tad to big to fit in the tube with the glass pieces installed. Some smaller bearings or bigger tubing should take care of that easily. How about someone else giving this a go?

Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!