Rega Planar 3/2 - Significant modifications

I can understand the objection to what he considers hyperboyle ... let's not forget that the first Edison cylinder phonographs, when demonstrated to listeners which included musicians and Opera singers, had, as the most common comment, that it "sounded just like live music". That was just less than one hundred forty years ago.

If "sounds closer to live music" were used instead of "sounds like live music" you might find more readers would consider it reasonable, especially since the latter is impossible, or at least a moveable goalpost. I have little doubt that 20 years* from now there will exist audio systems that sound more like live music than those most musical examples of today do, so clearly we are a bit short of "sounds like live music" today, and I suspect will be the case despite it being ever closer, for quite some time yet.

* It's a bit harder to see in 10-year increments, but when cut into 20-year bites, audio reproduction grows by significant and discernible bounds, and at all levels from Lo-Fi to High End. Going back we see significant advances from today, and in between, back to 1998, 1978, 1958, 1938, 1918, and so on.

Last edited:
I just bought a new bearing & housing from Fidelity Designs and its looks and feels amazing, building a whole new Rega style TT from new/old parts, so haven't used it yet,

Have you looked into platters, there is lots of talk of bentonite filled polyster resin, being one of the best damped materials available. Hoping I can find an economical way to cast them.

I can understand the objection to what he considers hyperboyle ... let's not forget that the first Edison cylinder phonographs, when demonstrated to listeners which included musicians and Opera singers, had, as the most common comment, that it "sounded just like live music". That was just less than one hundred forty years ago.

If "sounds closer to live music" were used instead of "sounds like live music" you might find more readers would consider it reasonable, especially since the latter is impossible, or at least a moveable goalpost. I have little doubt that 20 years* from now there will exist audio systems that sound more like live music than those most musical examples of today do, so clearly we are a bit short of "sounds like live music" today, and I suspect will be the case despite it being ever closer, for quite some time yet.

* It's a bit harder to see in 10-year increments, but when cut into 20-year bites, audio reproduction grows by significant and discernible bounds, and at all levels from Lo-Fi to High End. Going back we see significant advances from today, and in between, back to 1998, 1978, 1958, 1938, 1918, and so on.

Hi, I think its just mis-communication and mis-understanding.
I said it sounds 'like' live music, meaning similar, not exactly..., and yes - closer to live music but more like it than many systems I have heard before