Rega Planar 3/2 - Significant modifications - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 01:22 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Maybe we can all leave the pedantry to one side.
LOL --- yeah, its wearing a bit thin : just focus on empirical fact with regards to progress and true improvement
Old 28th January 2013, 02:05 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
Which might or might not be supported? ;0)
...have you been flossing regularly? could that be the cause of all this contention on a subtle unperceived level Its important to floss regularly
Old 29th January 2013, 06:30 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

sooooooooooooo, Im considering various options for rewiring my RB250...I am rather happy with the Isotone Solid Silver straight loom from tonearm to rca's http://www.cabezon.eu/product_info.php?products_id=82 I have used with my RB300 so far --- its hard to imagine one could get improvement on that sound...., however --- I am wondering if there is a proven better solid silver solution for tonearm rewire that is price-to-performance ratio justified for my RB250...

Anyone have any ideas? suggestions --- with regards to silver?

Last edited by TigerScent; 29th January 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 30th January 2013, 01:29 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

I am actually impressed with the Isotone Solid Silver straight loom as far as defined sonics go..., one has to be careful of binding etc however. Im not sure how well they anneal the silver...there was a site I came accross that used nicely annealed soft silver of varying guages that one could choose from, the Isotone seems a bit stiff-ish, like it has not been annealed enough, but does sound good. It also seems to be a larger than average wire guage..., and it is all ready made. With the other I would have to make it up as one balanced/shielded loom, but it would not be that difficult really...

Last edited by TigerScent; 30th January 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 30th January 2013, 02:48 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Tonearms, the one area where cables make any real difference. I'm a fan of the Cardas wire internally and Audio Note wire externally.
Old 31st January 2013, 10:02 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tonearms, the one area where cables make any real difference. I'm a fan of the Cardas wire internally and Audio Note wire externally.
The Cardas internal wire; isn't that typically copper? Im not sure what the Audio Note one is externally; I know the one in the UK has solid silver internal wire which is considered quite good; then there is the original Audio Note in Japan, which uses silk insulating material, which must be better...

Is there any reason you dont prefer to use a straight loom from cartridge to RCA's?
Old 31st January 2013, 06:39 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
In/Out was just with reference to those who have plugs in the bottom of the arms. My own arm is one piece of Cardas end to end.
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:24 PM   #68
Bibio is offline Bibio  Scotland
diyAudio Member

i'll just pipe in here if i may (i'll admit i know nothing). don't get to strung out about the rigidity of a tonearm as rigidity does not play that much a part in tonearm design as if that were the case then no one would use uni-pivot arms. i had a Hadcock GH228 super arm for a while but got rid as it was way to fiddly to use but my lord it sounded amazing once set up.

anyway as mentioned the only downside of the RB300 is in fact the spring which brings me to a little experiment i will be conducting at some point. there is a product on the market called plastidip and i reckon that a thin paint on one side of the spring might just dampen the ringing effect.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:36 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i'll just pipe in here if i may (i'll admit i know nothing). don't get to strung out about the rigidity of a tonearm as rigidity does not play that much a part in tonearm design as if that were the case then no one would use uni-pivot arms. i had a Hadcock GH228 super arm for a while but got rid as it was way to fiddly to use but my lord it sounded amazing once set up.

anyway as mentioned the only downside of the RB300 is in fact the spring which brings me to a little experiment i will be conducting at some point. there is a product on the market called plastidip and i reckon that a thin paint on one side of the spring might just dampen the ringing effect.
I cut minature slithers of an expanding foam ear-plug and placed about 3 of them inbetween the spring coil and the ringing stopped. Works rather well...I just set it at max ie: 3+ and its the best you can get it...
Old 27th February 2013, 11:40 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In/Out was just with reference to those who have plugs in the bottom of the arms. My own arm is one piece of Cardas end to end.
I might just use the Isotone solid silver straight loom again. Its working rather well on my RB300, might as well use it on the RB250...I dont think you can get much better than that really, anything else seems to be quite negligable and maybe only a bat could tell the difference...

Hide this!Advertise here!