Balanced input all DC coupled RIAA preamp - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2010, 12:00 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I think the only way is to listen. I found that also the type of resistor is important.
The best sound i got so far is with DaleRN65E. I the case of a conventional input i landed between 150 and 300 Ohm in parallel to the cartridge with Lyra Titan i.
If i understand your circuit right you have not the same impedance in both legs. Taking my variety of your circuit the positive leg whould see 5 ohm and 150 Ohm in series when i ignore the ( high ) input impedance of the positive input of your opamp. The negative leg goes to a 5 Ohm resistor and then to virtual ground so your Koetu whould be loaded with 160 Ohm because both inputs are in seies. Do i see that correctly ?
Old 24th April 2010, 12:20 PM   #32
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I think the only way is to listen. I found that also the type of resistor is important.
The best sound i got so far is with DaleRN65E. I the case of a conventional input i landed between 150 and 300 Ohm in parallel to the cartridge with Lyra Titan i.
If i understand your circuit right you have not the same impedance in both legs. Taking my variety of your circuit the positive leg whould see 5 ohm and 150 Ohm in series when i ignore the ( high ) input impedance of the positive input of your opamp. The negative leg goes to a 5 Ohm resistor and then to virtual ground so your Koetu whould be loaded with 160 Ohm because both inputs are in seies. Do i see that correctly ?
The 5ohm resistor is the internal series resistance of the cartridge, and not part of the circuit (sorry I forgot to take it out before publishing).

In my opinion the input impedance is 102.2ohms (51.1+51.1). As the voltage difference between +in and -in is virtually zero, it may be seen as a shortcut, and thus the feedback resistor and ground resistor are no part of the input impedance equation. Mmm (I think).

Regards,
Frans.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:29 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
The 5ohm resistor is the internal series resistance of the cartridge, and not part of the circuit (sorry I forgot to take it out before publishing).

In my opinion the input impedance is 102.2ohms (51.1+51.1). As the voltage difference between +in and -in is virtually zero, it may be seen as a shortcut, and thus the feedback resistor and ground resistor are no part of the input impedance equation. Mmm (I think).

Regards,
Frans.
And I checked (due to the Mmm... ) and found:
Operational amplifier applications - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Near the header: Differential amplifier

Regards,
Frans.

Or am I way out of line here, and did I read your post wrongly?
Old 24th April 2010, 01:05 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

You are right.
Differential Zin (between the two input pins) = R1 + R2 (Note: this is approximate)
Old 24th April 2010, 01:07 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Yes, the internal impedance beteen Pin2 and Pin3 can be interpreted as a short circuit.
Old 24th April 2010, 01:39 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Sofar i did not have the luxury to try C core. How does your build sound ? I asume great.
Is the best digital sound ever heard till today, now I'm upgrading with film cap in VRef by Salas advice, Salas v1.0 reg with Rs feeding the Buffalo II DAC + passive resistor + coupling cap as suggested me Erno Borbely for I/V (only penalty low gain)while I wait for the modification in his I/V that I own, so the final setup will be Buffalo II DAC + Erno Borbely I/V.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:18 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Is the best digital sound ever heard till today, now I'm upgrading with film cap in VRef by Salas advice, Salas v1.0 reg with Rs feeding the Buffalo II DAC + passive resistor + coupling cap as suggested me Erno Borbely for I/V (only penalty low gain)while I wait for the modification in his I/V that I own, so the final setup will be Buffalo II DAC + Erno Borbely I/V.
what IV model of Borbley you use here ?
can you show the complete functional connections of Salas shunts ( how many - how do you connect to Buffalo ) etc

Is there a photo?
thanks as I am interested to build one
kannan
Old 24th April 2010, 02:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Wright View Post
I consider series regs, such as you are using, are as outdated for good sounding audio as paper in oil caps.

Constant current fed shunt regs are very little more complex to build, but offer huge sonic benefits. There are numerous CCS/Shunt circuits here on DIYAudio.

And I agree with the other poster - your input R's are WAY too large for SOTA noise levels - especially on the MM inputs.

Regards, Allen
Any ideas on this one:

The question remaining, and that I would like to see answered, is this; is using lower value resistors a tradeoff between noise and impedance matching? And to what effect? The bottom line is; what am I paying for the lowered noise floor?

Regards,
Frans.
Old 24th April 2010, 04:20 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan_s View Post
what IV model of Borbley you use here ?
can you show the complete functional connections of Salas shunts ( how many - how do you connect to Buffalo ) etc

Is there a photo?
thanks as I am interested to build one
kannan
Actually I'm not using the Borbely I/V till Erno modifie the filter for Buffalo II.

The photo with passive I/V (resistor+coupling cap) few post ago.

The Buffalo II only needs a single +5.5V rail supply so only you need to do a Salas reg. p2p like mine photo or buy a Hipnotyze PCB in the GB.
Old 25th April 2010, 04:34 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
Any ideas on this one:

The question remaining, and that I would like to see answered, is this; is using lower value resistors a tradeoff between noise and impedance matching? And to what effect? The bottom line is; what am I paying for the lowered noise floor?

Regards,
Frans.
Any one, any one... please...

Hide this!Advertise here!