MPP

The Scope is a UNI-T 2042C.
I think the slight downtilt comes from the 2uF cap i use between the MPP and the Inductive RIAA ( 47kOhm Input Impedance) and the Inductive RIAA has a small lokal rise of 0.5dB at 20Hz. Same result on the DAAS. The serial resistor in series with the inductor could be finetrimmed but i kept it that way because i like the sound very much.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, I was remembering so too. If the 2187us, 750us, 318us are met, then slight tilt tailoring can be benign to the correct proportion of overtones to fundamentals. But synergistic overall. Has to do with the majority of MC carts passing supersonic from tip mass on vinyl resonances maybe. Beyond the usual last octave mount. Some speakers do tease easily if excited up there. Not directly, sounds like 3rdH.

P.S. Send me the pics to have a try uploading 4U.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In general a slight tilt like 0.1dB to 0.2dB maybe can be evaluated like no big deal on first thought, but when spreading over 10 octaves can have much more of an impact. Who ever tuned a speaker can understand.

Here are Joachim's awesome vintage valve meter's readings for 1kHz and 200kHz left to right. Were just too big that is why they would not upload. I reduced them to 1024x748.

Attachments

• Level at 1kHz.jpg
    Level at 1kHz.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Level at 200kHz.jpg
    Level at 200kHz.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 425
In my professional Lab i use an Instech Precission Bridge with Kelvin leads.
At home i use an ELV 72812 that gives a reading of 9.99nF for a 10nF and 99.9kOhm for a
100kOhm resistor so i can interpolate.
I tested this over a wide range and was very surprised about the repeatability of this inexpensive device.
I also tested voltage acuracy with a chemial voltage reference. For 1.003V it measured
1.004V so that was accurate too.

Attachments

• LCR-800SERIES.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 150
Today i measured the JG Self with the RIAA Encoder.
A positive surprise. Very quare quarwave and not much overshot this time so the 450kHz resonance in the inductive RIAA seems real. I will try to solve that but i do not think that is is audible.
Here the results for 1kHz and 10kHz into the JG Self.
I bridged the first cap in the subsonic filter to switch out the ICE amendment for this test.
If the Self RIAA is accurate ( i have no doupts) then my Encoder is accurate too.
A very encouraging result. It is posible to build some precisssion stuff at home without much cost if the dedication is there ( plus iron nerves) and the math is correct.

Attachments

• JG Self 1kHz Square.jpg
    JG Self 1kHz Square.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 523
  • JG Self 10kHz Square.jpg
    JG Self 10kHz Square.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 509
As a little project over the weekend i make a NAB A weighting filter.
There is some space left in the little metal box.
Design is again by Burkhard Vogel.
I made a small change by giving the OP27 stage a bit more gain to get more robust reading on my RMS meter.
Elswhise i listen to music and look some televison to relax.

Attachments

• NAB A - weighting filter.TSC - TINA.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 127
My DAAS analyser still packed somewhere in the vaults of the factory i really had the urge to be able to measure distortion at home.
I found a software that is inexpensive at 39,-€ for the professional version and can do what i need. It is called Audiotester. Suport seems to be very good because the designer answered my e-mail on sunday !
I am just trying the shareware version but i am so happy that i will buy the licence.
I tried several soundcards and found that an older Emagic 2/6 48kHz - 24 Bit worked well. I got noise and distortion down to -125dB provided i drive the soundcard in it´s comfotable range. That is 20dB worse than my modified DAAS so i can not make ultra low noise measurements ( i do that at home with my filter bank and the Sennheiser tube meter) but for distortion measurements it´s fine.
The first DUT i measured was the High Z MPP. I had designed and trimmed it theoretically so i was eager to see the results.
Here are measurements at 3 different amplitudes:

Attachments

• MPP High Z Distortion 1KHz -55dB.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 120
  • MPP High Z Distortion at 1kHz -45dB.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 76
  • High Z MPP distortion 1kHz at -35dB.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 89
Wow

My DAAS analyser still packed somewhere in the vaults of the factory i really had the urge to be able to measure distortion at home.
I found a software that is inexpensive at 39,-€ for the professional version and can do what i need. It is called Audiotester. Suport seems to be very good because the designer answered my e-mail on sunday !
I am just trying the shareware version but i am so happy that i will buy the licence.
I tried several soundcards and found that an older Emagic 2/6 48kHz - 24 Bit worked well. I got noise and distortion down to -125dB provided i drive the soundcard in it´s comfotable range. That is 20dB worse than my modified DAAS so i can not make ultra low noise measurements ( i do that at home with my filter bank and the Sennheiser tube meter) but for distortion measurements it´s fine.
The first DUT i measured was the High Z MPP. I had designed and trimmed it theoretically so i was eager to see the results.
Here are measurements at 3 different amplitudes:

Hi Joachim,

This is Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!
I'll check it tomorrow and will try to download it and start measuring.

Thanks for the tip!

Gr,

Audiofanatic ;)

Here is a comparison of distortion of the left compared to the right channel ( 10 averages) and intermodulation distortion with a taxing combination of 19kHz and 20kHz.
Typical for a non global feedback design is the monotonically falling distortion to lower levels and the monoticity of distortion over frequency.
Noise in the lower reaches seems low and is prove that with good Fets ( 2SK170, 2SJ74)
1/F noise is a smaller problem than many think. For example the precise Burkhard Vogel ruled out Fet´s for MC work but i think in praxis this it not true.
They simply work superbly well.

Attachments

• MPP High Z left channel 10avr.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 82
  • High Z MPP right channel 10avr.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 71
  • MPP High Z Intermodulation 19kHz, 20kHz at -42.5dB.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 71