MPP

So electrostatic discharge... Good chassis with good driect connection to the mains GND is a good place to start. For the RCA, very very hard to avoid noise, as the high voltage from the discharge wil most certainly modulate the ground, good practice is to use npo's across any kind of ground lift resistors.

For the cartridge make sure that the arm is grounded. Then the only issue should be the pins, but why touch them, discharge yourself on the arm.

Last edited:
Yes, which is why you really must make the chassis ground good, so the charge can migrate through that on not bleed into the circuit.

When shooting my amps I get clicks when shooting the cables with 4kV, This is perfectly normal, or actually on the good side of normal. My goal when designing products is that the micros don't stumble when subjected to 10kV on the chassis and control buttons. This is not a mandatory requirement for the CE, but very good for the reliability for the product and to avoid the nuisance of having to reboot the product when you discharge yourself through it. This is why I wrote encapsulating a few times.....

For the RCA's I have always Chassis ground on one side of the PCB, so NPO's don't need pcb traces to work. I know a lot about grounding, because I worked some years in the maritime industry, where GND is a BIG BIG issue. (Ship GND, Battery GND, Signal GND and so on)

You don't need to ground the gnd pin in the audioband, but by adding NPO's you provide an RF path for ESD to GND, this is simply best practice engineering. Needed no, but as I previously said, nobody knows what ill effects ESD going thru circuits may have over time. In my book that ought to be reason enough, slobby and careless are not superlatives in my world.

But talking about physical media, a vinyl made from a 24bit 192kHz digital media, outshines a CD easily. And even not considering that - because of some strange reason vinyl masters are pretty much always better than CD - not same loudness war.
That said, if the same thing was released on DVD-A then it should be better than vinyl, if not f***ed up during mastering.
Biggest example of bad mastering have to be Metallica Death Magnetic, where the record is clipping all the time, while the album was later released as a track-pack to "Guitar Hero" to gaming consoles - where there was another master, superior in all ways to the original album. Talk about stupidity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I

I don't think vinyl is a better source than CD or high resolution files. CD is already much better than our speakers, high Rez is better, but where is it better, only in the highest treble where most speakers really suffer the most. So better is not the reason for vinyl. A better fit may be part of the answer. A better fit in the respect of what makes vinyl worse also makes it better. In vinyl music starts as motion of a coil in a magnet gap, just as it is delivered by the speaker, yet another coil in a magnet gab. Vinyl and speakers are the same, they like each other and together they bring the best in the recording forward.

Vinyl is also tweakable. You make adjustments and vinyl delivers, with files and CDs all you can do is push play. Vinyl brings the hobby alive in a totally different manor. Just try an get hooked..!!

I 100% agree. Once you hear the sensation of beeing present, then all talks about the technical shortcomings of vinyl ought to stop. No other media can take you close to the event like vinyl. It's simply more realistic. We can speculate in reasons, I belive it's what I wrote above, the mechanical motion aspect of the TT is simply match the predominant dynamic speakers better. Sometimes one needs a system thinking as opposed to blind silo optimization.

I am not here often any more
It saddens me to see so much intellect wasted in the usual pointless argument between digital and analogue reproduction
Personally the illusion that the “band” is in my living room has never been bested than what the Paradise or Salas Symplistic can do
Yes they are not perfect my sub £1000 turntable is not perfect my ears are not what they use to be 30 years ago so what?
For you that can why not go back to your hammers and chisels and help put a bit more joy and wonder in to my life
Give me a balanced Jfet Paradise like to sweat over for a while pretty please

What about setup? I would imagine most will get a decent turntable and not spend the time to align it properly according to its specific build ( the same MC can vary a lot) and pronounce that Digital sounds better because of their issues
A properly setup TT beats the best digital any day IMO and me thinks this is the elephant in their room...