Mpp - Page 282 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2011, 11:36 AM   #2811
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Had the sowter's at time.. but must say I clearly preferred a battery powered Le PRE PRE..come to think of it...you could have been the one that supplied the Sowters to LA...who then gave it to me...
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:01 PM   #2812
diyAudio Member

That was a Pikatron transformer. It looks quite similar but the Sowter is much bigger in size and i hope of better quality. Yes, Lennard was never really happy with the transformers i send him. We started a discussion how we could improve matters but the project bit the dust in the end. That was busy times where we have being involved into many things so this little project was not that important.
I have no choice anyway. The guy i am building for at the moment demands a transformer input with inductive RIAA and tube output stage. I have tried the 9226 and must say that it is much better then transformers i tested 15 years ago so progress has being made. The Pikatron barely reached 20kHz and had a treble resonance in the ultra sonics but this new ones go the 100kHz. Whereas i experienced a loss in resolution and extension in several transformers i tried
a longer time ago this Lundahl did sound good in the treble.
Old 3rd October 2011, 05:38 PM   #2813
diyAudio Member

Hope for sure they are better....Your'e right they were piketron...I think I remember something about mumetal shielding...

BTW the first LA-Audio mono tube Rias's were quite good...the tin/PS caps and the special F&T coupling caps were good....we also tried Rieken resistors but they sounded dusty and dull...
Old 3rd October 2011, 05:56 PM   #2814
diyAudio Member

I still listen each day to my 6550 LA Audio mono blocks. I have only pimped them a bit and use selected tubes. In its 25W range it still sounds up to date. What i need is a medium power transistor amp for the low sensitivity speakers i develop from time to time for other people.
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:31 PM   #2815
diyAudio Member

When I'am done and thing are playing .. I'll supply you the details. som small changes have to ba applied to the circuit....some extra resistors and different sniffpiont for the RF feedback and a little higher gain..all to make it unconditionally stable also without output coil...

Yes those trafos of the LA-- are still hard to beat... actually i believe i have a set....Maybe it's time to rework those...

M
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:44 PM   #2816
diyAudio Member

I have your transistors ready, Michael.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:51 PM   #2817
diyAudio Member

Think you know the address...)
Old 4th October 2011, 07:14 PM   #2818
diyAudio Member

Sure...
Old 4th October 2011, 07:15 PM   #2819
diyAudio Member

Wow, we just crossed 200.000 views on this thread.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:37 PM   #2820
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I used a LL9206 as a sut for a Goldenote Tuscany cart (0.15mV) on a 48dB jfet input Riaa.

It worked like magic

I am planning to upgrade to a Sowther Type 1990 (Jensen sut are too expensive IMO) so I am looking forward for your measurement results

Hide this!Advertise here!