Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right now I'm inclined to think that these bennic ones linked above are the best yet. They seem to edge out the blackgate Nx and GE poly caps in terms of clarity without any trace of harshness. They probably need more time, but they are very nice indeed.

Note that it is not a huge difference I'm talking about. I'm really only posting since the 4.7uF blackgates are unobtainium (although the ones RJM mentions above are available) and if you are buying some from eg. madisound, you might as well get the best. Cost really between these and the GE is negligble.

Fran

EDIT: Just like my experience with partsconnexion, the fellas at madisuond are very good to deal with. International no probem and they only charge what it costs. They refunded me $2 one time as they overcharged for shipping. Very decent fellas.

Full kits will be made available with the boards. Looking at the variation of countries people are located in, this will save everyone money.

I will leave out the two resistors which calculate the gain keep in mind. I can order these on request or you may like to get hold of them yourself.

hi rhysh,
this would be a great option and very kind of you. Mouser is not the favorit distributor in Germany and when going with alternative dealers, you often end up in having to order parts of three of them (crazy grammar :D )
So what about the RIAA parts? Can you just order more parts to match them and we share the cost of the parts and your work for matching? :)

again, great offer
stefan

noelectrix said:
hi rhysh,
this would be a great option and very kind of you. Mouser is not the favorit distributor in Germany and when going with alternative dealers, you often end up in having to order parts of three of them (crazy grammar :D )
So what about the RIAA parts? Can you just order more parts to match them and we share the cost of the parts and your work for matching? :)

again, great offer
stefan

I can order parts to match, no worries. Once i get the BOM up and running and total prices i will get more information out.

We are talking about $80 per stereo set. This is just a estimate but will be around that. (This is the price of raw parts and excludes shipping and tax, which will need to be split between everyone)

Resistors: Vishay Dale 1/4W 1%
Capacitors: Nichicon Muse & Mica Radial
Opamps: OP27 (With Gold Sockets)

Please note the Black Gate K 4.7 is now unavailable. I have substituted for a Nichicon Muse Es 4.7uf. Feel free to use somthing else, but this is what i would like to supply.

A full BOM will follow.

Let me know what you think of the estimate price everyone.

I will supply everything bagged and fully labeled.

I am not making any money from this, so keep in mind, i dont have much free time!

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Rhys,

Thanks very much for doing this.

Please clarify the situation regarding the 1 nF mica caps I sent you and these kits you propose to provide. I noticed the BOM includes 11 1nF caps. This is anyways a mistake, since each set requires no more than 8 pcs, but shouldn't it be zero?

It would be helpful if you could change the column that reads RJM Value to Rhys Value and update it with the values you chose. That way I can quickly double check it to make sure its all kosher.

I might actually join in on the kit after all: it turns out you are going a little more "high end" than I thought, and it might be fun to have exactly the same build as everyone else.

Still think carbon is the better choice for the 47 ohm damping resistors. (sniff)

Richard

My own version of the PhonoClone3. I used a recycled case and made my first brushed aluminum front plate. Here the front view.

Attachments

• front_s.jpg
    front_s.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 564
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.