Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A paradox is something that contradicts intuition.

So for the copper shield not to have any function at all when grounded it was contradicting my experience with such TXs.

After Ricardo explained that it does have an effect in his assortment in box, but not when field is minimized by rotation, I had enough data to know that there is no paradox. Ricardo has reached residual hum in this configuration by rotation and rearrangements, so grounding the shield or not makes no real difference.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My life is changing very fast... I am entering a new business so I am experiencing lack of time...

Back to D1, I am having trouble finding the correct zenners.

I built a zener diode voltage regulator circuit so I could match the zeners and the 3.9v zeners only measures 3.5 volts.

The circuit I am using is this: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Zener-Diode-Voltage-Regulator.htm

Am I doing something wrong ?

I get the following readings with several zeners:
13v measures 13.1v
15v measures 15.1v
4.7v measures 4v
3v measures 2.5v
3.3v measures 2.8v
2.7v measures 2.5v
3.9v measures 3.5v (Two of those measure 6.9v) :confused:

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I measure 51mA for 7.51v using a 4.7v zener + 3.9v zener on the test layout.

I can not test them on circuit.... the zeners must be tested before implementation.... my pcb is very damaged right now.

About the test circuit:

On the 2sk170 I place +28v on D

G+S go to the zener and this one to GND
right ?

Low voltage zeners take a lot of current to make them wake up - one of their disadvantages. This is reflected in the test current cited in their data sheets. A string of yellow-green LEDs might work better, requiring only 10mA or so. Each LED will drop almost exactly 2V at that bias current.

Low voltage zeners need a huge amount of current to wake them up - at least 20ma - their "knees" are very soft and sloppy. LEDs have much lower incremental impedance. As an alternative to using LEDs, try the reverse base-emitter junction of a transistor like the 2N3904 - it yields an extremely sharp zener of 7.5-8V, and it only requires a ma or two.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
4 Leds are better for noise.

Attachments

• bcd.gif
    bcd.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 634
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Doesn't our 8V2 stay steady with the about 10mA IDSS CCS? Works till now. Why not others? You will tell after putting them in. The goal is to listen if some noise was escaping the bypass or not, bcs unfortunately our needed bias coincides with noisy single Zener nominal voltages. If it is escaping enough, maybe you will get more analysis by a simple move. If not, well we will know not to bother.;)