Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I've been looking back to try and pick up the context, but are we talking about the LED/zener reference used to bias the upper mosfet in the shunt regulator? If so, the R's and C's can be shifted around somewhat for more effective filtering of of whatever voltage reference is used, and may make it possible to use the transistor junction zener without sonic penalty. Just a thought.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, not in the reg. There is a local basic shunt (a CCSed and cap bypassed Zener) creating base bias for the cascode bjt/jfet first stage in the RIAA.
Since the Zener was one 8V2 part there, we like to know if we will listen better either with a LEDs string or 2 low voltage Zeners. Its unfortunate that our 7.5-8.5V ref need, just coincides with the worst single Zener values for noise. Under 4V7 or 12V and over, single Zeners are great for self noise. Especially if someone has access to temp compensated parts reserved for instrumentation and aerospace.

It might also be a good idea to check several types of transistors for noise, as I would bet that it varies with device geometry. A string of yellow-green LEDs is a relatively no-fuss way to go, though. I hate low voltage zeners on principle, as it takes a lot of current to bias them into their sweet spot.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Post #1797 shows 5mA good, 20mA best for noise. That was for 2 samples of a 3V9Z. 10mA IDSS CCS can do it decently I guess, based on that data.
On the other hand 4X yellow ones (red come 2nd, green 3rd for noise, slight differences, but green stay better grouped for individual Vdrop), can be used, especially if miniature or surface mount ones, to help with Ricardo's tight space thing.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you can use 0.5W. Using Zeners in parallel will lower their intrinsic noise (which is good enough at those voltages anyway), but they will share the available current so you are back to square 1. If you had double the current it would be kind of meaningful.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
D1 modification

Gentlemen....after reading your comments, I decided to use four miniature yellow leds.

With 10mA (From jfet setup), I got 7.65v.

After some dreadfull desoldering, resoldering, the riaa finally "lit up".

Imediate gains are noticeable in the noise floor....

Bass is much more inteligible with greater detail and speed.

Trebble is sweet and perfectly integrated.

I noticed no change in the instruments "tone".

Must listen for a while to be able to report correctly, but I believe this is a "must" do mod.:worship: :violin:

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK! That's encouraging. I was smelling a rat with the cascode version's local bias... Thought it could be done better. Listen more and if everything is positive, I will post 3 final schematics. MM/highMC, Medium MC, MC, with LEDs.

P.S. Do you have a ''yellow submarine'' RIAA photo?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The improvements are quite noticeable already !!!

First "D1 BUG"

Attachments

• p1010002 (small).jpg
    p1010002 (small).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 827
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here is the final circuit in 3 sensitivities, best we know of. CloadX is additional to cable capacitance if needed for MM. See manufacturer specs. A TT normally presents 150-200pF from cart to male RCA.
For MC it is normally omitted, unless there is some recommendation from a cartridge manufacturer. Rload is the load resistor. You can start with the ballpark example values, but better fine tune. See MC cart spec again.

1. MM or High MC. 2-5mV.

Attachments

• mm&hmc.gif
    mm&hmc.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 3,728
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What is the type and sensitivity of your speakers? What amp and preamp you have? Do you know their gain in dB? How can you characterize the sound of your system right now? Heavy, thin, or neutral?

Because I know the DL103 and the cascode or not I am trying to give you the best advice. Let me know about the questions.