Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hahaha, took me the whole day to put together...... Everything was pre-worked. Today was only assembly.

But yeah, I was tired of listening to my factory Phono Amp from Cambridge. This one is something else! :note::note: Much more musical and much more transparent.

I only had to decrease my subwoofer a bit. Could that be the 47nF cap? Still have to buy the good stuff for those instead of the orange drop ones.

Nice that it gives you good music on the get go. I don't know if it is the 47nF cap or the acoustic feedback from the very near to TT subwoofer that comes through louder on the FSP, maybe the other one has some sort of rumble filter or bright treble that offsets the subjective balance. In any case try a 33nF too in orange drop before you buy expensive cap so to know if you need more aggressive subsonic roll off than normal in your situation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The album On and on from Jack Johnson sounds very nice. Good 180 gram production really pays of. Man do those high's sound spot on!

Ok Salas, I will buy some orange drops in different nF's to try. But first the whole collection will be heard this weekend :) Next up: Dire Straights - Money for Nothing.... It's gonna be a late night........

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, Final 400 panels. But I changed the whole PSU and filtering cabinet because they were no good. With the new PSU's they sound much better.

A good friend of mine has a spare pair of 600's waiting to be modified... They will find their way to my livingroom :) They sound even better! Especially after some modification.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have been listening until 3 am :) I have to take back the fact that the amp is dead quit. There is a very, very slight hum that appears when I turn the volume to full power. So I must revise my funky earth screening :) any help would be appreciated!
Maybe its not a grounding error but just what interference comes from the TT in a very low signal single ended long wiring route. In a rack full of stuff nonetheless. You can compare that by disconnecting the TT. So to know if it originates in the preamp and maybe can make it even better. Try using coaxial screened signal cable from the RCAs to the PCBs anyway. Also move and separate the boxes and mains cables under the TT space between them and in relation to TT. Hear if something changes.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Solved. The right channel ground was loose on the TT. Changed it so the TT has Cinch on the back. Also I saw that the ground of the TT was connected to the grounds of left and right. So I did make a separate wire and connected it to the PSU box ground. All is well now!

Someone has probably changed this before me...

All electrolytics you see on the main board are just local RC filters stemming from the rail, none in the direct signal path. Using big film caps there would render the layout huge and susceptible to loop area interference. Constructing the FSP like a Jadis amp would be something I am not that sure I will never see from some member here eventually though.:D

Thanks for your components tips, its nice you always try push the envelope of your system.

Yes, I know they are not in the "direct signal path" but I think it is worth a try.

I figure I will stand the capacitors up and mount the board atop the cap banks. Hoping the wiring will be no more than two inches.

I cannot speak for what the oil cans will do at the circuit board but there is something very good happening in the raw supply.

Caps on order; will know in a couple of weeks whether it is worth the trouble. If they do not help there I will add them to the raw supply.

I will be using 60 uF caps so the 47 uF electrolytics will be easily replaced. Any chance that 60 uF in the 470 uF positions will affect the time constants you have chosen? How critical are they?

Thanks and take care,

A few questions:
Any advantage in increasing the raw psu's main filter capacitors from 4700 to something in the 6000-8000f range? Or are the 4700 enough to ensure low ripple to feed the regulators?

When placing the raw psu in a separate case with 1-1,5 metre (3-5 foot) umbilical, is it a good idea to place a second set of 4700f capacitors at the PSU input of the phono pcb?

Could someone point me to a good quality coaxial cable for the signal wiring in the phono box?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
More capacitance can be no trouble if the bridge diodes are TO-220 to can stand the surge but use at least 1 Ohm RD/Link to make the rougher charge edges smoother. End of the road capacitor is OK too. Has been used before. Alternatively, capacitor multiplier end of the road pre-filter has been used before.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Solved. The right channel ground was loose on the TT. Changed it so the TT has Cinch on the back. Also I saw that the ground of the TT was connected to the grounds of left and right. So I did make a separate wire and connected it to the PSU box ground. All is well now!

Someone has probably changed this before me...

You are a secret grounding guru and you are taking the Mickey out of us all after all :D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any chance that 60 uF in the 470 uF positions will affect the time constants you have chosen? How critical are they?

Thanks and take care,

They are critical enough in assuring the now hum and noise level. Especially the one RC towards the input stage. If you will get audible worsening for hum, buzz, noise floor, then you may up the R part and that will end up to higher Rail+ needed for proper TP1-TP2 again