Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you :)

It was really mented as a tool for experimentation and comprehension... as is it is no substitute for a simulator and I really believe we should always breadboard before building anything.

Anyway, The scale factor of 2 in gain Equations is nominal. According to the National Semiconductor FET Handbook (1977), that factor can range from about 1.1 to 2.5 but is typically near 2, so I can easily adjust it based on your input.

Can you give me some gain figures ?
48dB build 28V output stage Rd 4k7 Vd = 11v and Rs 47r
48dB 28V input stage Rd 3k3 Vd = 14v and Rs 33r
57dB 37V output stage Rd 6k3 Vd = 10v and Rs 27r

I believe these will beenough to find a good compromise for the gain equation.

I only have the folded on breadboard right now. You should measure your builds too to see about deviations. A test record and a DMM on AC are enough. Probe the 2nd stage's input and output and you calculate gain by the out/in division.

I am in the bermuda triangle here.

Top of BF245 12V
Base and emitter of BF245 - 8.1V
Used pot to get emitter of bc560 to 8.1V
Nothing on collector.
Jfets have 31mV acorss 3.9R source resistor.
Output gain fet has 4.7V across drain. Same thing at output, as the cap and pull down resistor are not added yet.
16V at top of the buffer.
R5/6 sitting at 6.71K
This thing should be working.

Gonna try the other channel. Just does not make sense.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes. You should have half the BC560's emitter to ground voltage on its collector to ground after trimming, ~10V across second stage's Jfet drain to ground, for 35V to ground B+. Also the BF245 looks like drawing much. Either isn't an A type (lower IDSS rank) or its a short.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
when you use obbligato premium gold as a coupling which end Is recommended to be In and which out for signal
do you recommend bypass of obbligato premium gold 4.7 uF - If you do which bypass and value - teflon ft-1 ft-2 ft-3

I normally use the cap orientated as per it´s casing lettering.
input -------[Obbligato]-------- output

I would start without any bypass. Let the caps settle and see if you like the sound. I once bypassed one of those with a smaller obbligato (0.47u) with good results.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi buzz

Here you have my measurements... appart from output buffer, it is the same as yours.

Attachments

• Folded cascode 1st build.png
    Folded cascode 1st build.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 246