Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, those two are different semis doing different stuff and they must not be thermally coupled. Do you have provision to trim the 15nF RIAA cap with some Mica up to 15.15nF maybe? Cruz went there after some subjective fine tuning he mentioned. But that is not de facto for every system and cart and user of course.

I have some coming, but not with me. You can see spots on one of the boards for adding trimmer caps. Really just want to get it up and running. There is plenty of tuning to be done. I am runnning the shunts with 10R and 240mA. Here are the skins I am using. Based on the spreadheet, they should be adequate and make for easier isolation.

Attachments

• DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    691.1 KB · Views: 301
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have seen those two pads under the smaller XO cap that is why I commented on trimming. Not a big deal for now. Did you check the RIAA caps on LCR meter BTW?
Regarding regs, remember NOT to disconnect power rails during tests if not measured very low or zero first after power down. The 1000uF capacitors near the trimmers store enough energy to kill trimmer and kick back to the reg even. They need let to discharge first. Its in the folded PDF but I stress it here again.

I have seen those two pads under the smaller XO cap that is why I commented on trimming. Not a big deal for now. Did you check the RIAA caps on LCR meter BTW?
Regarding regs, remember NOT to disconnect power rails during tests if not measured very low or zero first after power down. The 1000uF capacitors near the trimmers store enough energy to kill trimmer and kick back to the reg even. They need let to discharge first. Its in the folded PDF but I stress it here again.

I admit I did not check the caps, as I paid Parts Connexion to match them. After I get the whole operation running, I will check the RIAA curve properly. THanks for the tip, I saw that mentioned in the document.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hy buzz... splendid work.

You ordered matched caps... but did the supplier write down the actual values on the caps ?

If you have that info, maybe you also have the actual measured values of the resistors.

If so, would you be so kind to post them.... I love maths you know :)

The TNPW are .1% tolerance, one of the main reasons i used them, but ill try to check them all. Gonna have to use a single shunt reg at first. Bent 9530 leg twice and it broke. Any options other than mj bbjt? Did not measure caps. If we like it, i expect to redo the board with some refinements.